1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Another PS3 SKU in the works?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Oct 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. RostokMcSpoons

RostokMcSpoons New Member

Still not interested - too little too late! I've got a Wii, and all I really want are some more A-grade games for that to come (looking forward to Super Mario Galaxy obviously!)
    In the meantime my daughter and I continue to squabble over the pc... that's the best entertainment system!

3. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

Nothing Sony have done so far has been that important really apart from making it cheaper for people, but what I'd like to see for the release of their IPTV/DTV solution is USB ports on the rear, a few hundred Gb, firewire, a burner (DVD or Bluray) and twin HDMI and perhaps a shape that more suits a home entertainment setup, course thinking of my self again :lol: but I'd happily put down £500 for that.

4. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 New Member

I have a PC, 360 and a wii, i did own a PS3 but found it not to have the special qualities that made the 360 and the wii special. If felt like there were just picking ideas from both and the PS3 was born out of that.

with so many versions of the PS3 now, some must of been kicking themselfs after shelling out nearly £500 this time last year. the price drop is great, but a massive blow to the loyal fan base that got the PS3 at launch. not sure if i would be happy at nearly £200 out of pocket!

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Tbh, it's the way it always is. The early adopters expect to pay a premium for new tech. Once some (or all) of the pre-production costs (research, development, etc) are paid for, the price then steadily drops until it finds a happy medium where people are buying it in their droves.

If Sony, Microsoft et al have their heads screwed on, a price decrease ready for the launch of GTA IV would see sales go through the stratosphere.

6. Omnituens

Omnituens New Member

looks like if i want a BC machine i better buy one soon... sigh.

7. devdevil85

devdevil85 New Member

BC isn't a big deal (to me atleast) so I think getting a price drop because of it is worth it......and why are people calling the SKU selection "confusing" for consumers? So they have a 60GB model w/ BC ($499), 80GB w/ software BC ($599 atm), or a 40GB or 60GB w/o BC (pricedrop)....it's really where does your budget and desires/wants fit into the scenario if you are in the market for a PS3....what's so hard about those choices? I think it's good that the price is dropping because w/ $599 the only choice on cost atm besides the leftover 60GB, the price is just too high......

8. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

So the SKU selection is confusing??? There are 3 differenet models, 4 if you count the old 20GB and is not confusing. Hell the 360 has 3 no 4 different versions also which include the Core / Prem / Prem Inc HDMI / Elite.

How many different pc set ups and models out there?? If you walk into PC world there are hundreds of different HP computers with different insides. I call that confusing if im a tom, dick or harry.

9. devdevil85

devdevil85 New Member

and that proves my point....thx mike

10. Havok154

Havok154 New Member

I've got to say, they keep releasing more and more models, and the more they keep coming out with, the less I want the system. If they just kept the 2 systems and worked as hard as possible to drop the prices on those, instead of taking more and more features out while still charging a fairly large chunk of money, it would be more beneficial for Sony. Everything they've touted over the 360 is slowly being taken out and it's still more expensive than the premium and has no where near as many good games.

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Uh? You think Sony stuck with ONE version of the PS, or ONE version of the PS2? There's about 13-14 revisions of the PS2 alone (and that's just the European version!)

I think it's a good thing. The only things holding me back is that with no backward compatibility, I doubt I'll ever get round to completing Shadows of the Colossus and that, apparently Home isn't a patch on Live and having used Live and found it to be pretty darned good, I just wonder how crap Home has to be?

12. whisperwolf

whisperwolf New Member

But normally they only sell one version at a time.

the price difference on the Sony uk models is still confusing me, you can currently buy the 60gb with two games for £349 or the 40gb with no games for £299, surely you need to buy games with the ps3 to actually make use of it and then you get no difference in price at all. can be seen as at gamestation,. 60gb ps3, 2 games and 2 movies £349, 40gb ps3 2 games and 2 movies £349.
    admittedly the 60gb is with selected games and the 40gb is all games, but the selected games seem to be the good ones anyway.

ah well, still think I'll leave it to at least March before even looking at the ps3.

13. Havok154

Havok154 New Member

But overall, the differences with the consoles were purely internal and to the average user, it made no actual difference in what you were getting. All the version did the same thing, and cost the same price. The only time they made a change that actually made a difference to the point of people looking at it and wanting to get it over their current one is when they would make the system smaller as their new gen console was coming out.

Tags: Add Tags