1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another raid question....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by felix the cat, 11 Jan 2002.

1. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

so just to bore everyone who knows this again, the deal with raid is that if u want speed u run raid 0 and if u want saftey ie. backups u run raid 1, and then if youre really clever u run raid 0+1...now to the tricky part....on the raid cards that i have looked up it says u need 4 hdds to do that....is that with all cards?

and wat space would i have left if i used 4 20gig hdds??

cheers for answering dumb questions....

2. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Pretty much.

2 drives for speed, plus another 2 to back up those.

Using 20GB drives in a RAID 0+1 (also known as RAID 10), you'd get 40Gig of usable space (before OS etc.).
    RAID 0 spanning 2 drives (20 + 20) and the other two as back-up.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

To add to this RAID 1 is a complete mirror of another drive.... so if you have a RAID 0+1... Two drives are used for the RAID 0, and to mirror that you need two more drives to make a RAID 1 of the RAID 0...

That may sound confusing, but I have tried to explain the principle as best as possible...

Hope this helps you

BiGGiE ;)

4. felix the cat

hmmm....dunno wether ill bother as i read some other post saying that performance wasnt that much of an improovement....thanks anyways...just confirmed some thoughts...

5. RTT

RTT #parp

welcome to the forums :) :cool:

6. felix the cat

cheers dude....been watching the site and the forumns for some time now and since its in the uk decided to join, cause its like my kinda place.....:cool:

7. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Depends really. If you're using it for something like AV editing, then you'll definately notice the difference. On the the other hand some people just like the fact that they have s!*t hot drive access, 'just in case'.;)