1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Antec launches standardised laptop parts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Hmm.. portability could definity be an issue.. I mean, cooling and air-flow are a lot more important to consider in a laptop, and if you can custom build the chassis, you can make sure your laptop is both small/portable and cool.

3. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

I really hope some other companies pick up on this standard and start using it. I would love to be able to custom-build a laptop instead of buying one with a whole bunch of trash installed on it.

4. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

at last!!

I've been waiting years for this kind of thing. I really hope it takes hold, it would be fantastic

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

To be honest, think i would prefer to buy a laptop, rather than customise one, i'm happy building PC, because it's on a larger scale, and isn't so fiddily. Although, as MrMonroe said, i also hope other companies take it on board, as it allows more choice to the little guy. Asus, you listening?

Sam

6. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Finally!!!! I've been waiting for a laptop I can build myself for a cheaper cost I hope.

7. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Didn't MSI have something like this before, in the days of MXM and AGP Graphics cards?

8. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

@ UrbanMarine

somehow i doubt its gonna be cheaper... at least to start.

Personally I felt that theres been well enough stuff to make your own laptop for ages now. Just think of the pico-itx mobo, in the right case, with a keyboard/mouse you could make something that almost rivals the EEE PC's.

9. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

To be honest while i kind of like the idea, i don't think it'll work.

You can standardise the laptop components, but at the expense of physical laptop size. It's only going to work for the much larger and heavier types of laptops, can't see it working on any laptop thats smaller.

That said, if they could standardise things such as the AC adaptor, you make a LOT of laptop users very happy. :)

10. xion

xion Minimodder

for me the big win would be in the form of universal parts like power adaptors, batteries, drives, and a possible end to my pet hate - the docking station that fits only one model of one brand from one country! that cant be an eviable task "lesten Dell, you'll just have to lean to integrate ASUS' dock adapter in future..." yeah right, and while they're at it, sort out a universal charge & mini USB port for phones too!

/rant.

11. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

I agree. It would be fantastic. Sadly tho, I fear it will go like this...

CompanyA: Hmm, that's a good standard, but it'd be better if we do this..
    CompanyB: Hmm yes, but we think you shoudl add this...
    CompanyC: Yep, but not that, that's too much.. we have a better way.. with this extra bit, you'll like *our* standard more...

...etc...

Until you eventually have various companies, all with their own "standards".. back to what we have today...

12. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Im more and more liking the way Apple do their machines, never any driver issues on OSX or windows ... this would be something (drives that is) someone would have to be in charge of...

13. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

I'd be happy just having just standardised drive bezels and AC adaptors. Even if they pull that off it would be a massive step forward.
    But having the whole lot standardised? Even better.

As Anakha said, MSI have barebones laptop kits available. But I can see Antec's new "standard" being different to MSI's, which isn't really standardising anything.

14. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Agreed. With an equivalent of uATX and ATX and the like so you can have a small portable laptop, or a larger more powerful one.

15. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

It'd be cool to build your own laptop but I'd only do it if it's cheaper than buying one

16. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

They're getting there on this part at least.

On a recent holiday, my family plus few relatives:

Devices that used a standard mini-usb charger:
    4/5 mobile phones
    2/2 sat navs

Still not perfect, but more standardised as a small device charger spec than anything i've seen in my lifetime :)

17. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

Now, that woud be great :D
    Building my own laptop as I did with my pc? w00t ;)

18. Xir

Xir Modder

Heh yeah...i go on Holiday by motorbike, i have 4 decvices (2 Phones, satnav and Camera), and the accumulated chargers are bigger than the devices !

Tags: Add Tags