1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antec Tricool fans?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IbramGaunt, 7 Aug 2008.

1. IbramGaunt

IbramGaunt What's a Dremel?

I am planning on getting a fan or two for my new case, but it has to be reasonably quiet.

I was looking at the Antec Tricool fans and thought they would be a good choice. Has anyone any experience with them?

Thanks in advance.

2. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

I have loads of them in my case, on the whole set to low they are pretty quiet, anything higher and they will be noticeable...

I like the way they make a kind of swoooshing sound like an air conditioner does...

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

at LOW, they are almost silent. at medium, they are noticeable and okay, at High, you'd be better prepared to have your speaker full blast.

but at High, they shift a LOT of air, so much that can cool my motherboard temperature from 38 to 35 in a few minutes. (i usually don't actually care about it, did it just for a test)

4. IbramGaunt

Well I presume most fans are loud at highest speed... right?

And do they shift much air at low speed?

5. ShredMachine

ShredMachine What's a Dremel?

They're good fans if you want the versatility...in a way. The speed controls are inside the case, so you'll be taking the side panel off every time you wanna change that. Also, they don't last for an incredible amount of time if you leave them set to low or medium. For some reason I had one in my P180 that went bust on low about 2/3 months before the ones on high did. None of them were more than 9 months old or so.

Personally, I prefer the Scythe S-Flex fans. One fixed speed but they're quiet and move the air where it counts. I have the 44CFM models in my case and its quiet enough for all but the really anal.

Also, more CFM doesn't always mean more cooling power directly. Most of the time its more worth dealing with the extra 2C or so, rather than boosting the DB by 12 for the better temps. )Remember, 3DB more is twice as loud. 22DbA is practically noiseless, but 36 is most definitely going up...and 39 is audible in most situations rather than just some. beyond that is way too loud for me, personally.

Edit: The low speed doesnt really move much air if we're being honest. On medium they move 45 CFM IIRC, and thats at a volume level somewhat more than the scythes, for the same airflow.

6. IbramGaunt

Those Scythe S-Flex fans look pretty decent. What would be the preferable RPM to get for maximum air flow with minimum noise?

7. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Got a couple of 120mm Tri-cool fans with my NSK2480... They're good fans, but not for silent computing. They help keep my stock cooled 4850 at roughly 50 degrees at idle, which is impressive, but that's when they're set at high. I keep it at high anyway, since I usually have my speakers loud, and I quite like the sound they make, it's a soft sound.. not a harsh buzz...

Since I built my PC, my bedroom has actually dropped a couple of degrees in its average temperature.. although that's probably due to the rainy weather.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I was told that SilenX makes good and very quiet (9db) fans... but I never own one to know.

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

They're not a bad fan but the noise specifications are complete ********. Rule of thumb, <800RPM=silent, 1000RPM=low noise, >1200RPM=obvious for any 120mm fan.

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Hmm... that is what I thought. Thanks

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I had one in my Sonata. Not that good in price-performance-noise terms.

Scythe S-Flex are the best if you can afford them, otherwise Nexus are almost as good for a fraction of the price.

If you really want to get into the nitty-gritty of fan performance check here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page1.html