1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Anti-Aliasing & Pixel Density

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jewels, 21 Jun 2009.

1. Jewels

Jewels What's a Dremel?

I've heard gaming at 1920 x 1200 on a 24" monitor can eliminate the need for AA in certain titles due to the large number of pixels on a (comparatively) small physical screen, but the pixel density is actually lower than say 1440 x 900 on a 17" screen (my current primary monitor). Having said that, I know the additional pixels provide superior visual fidelity.

A friend of mine recently purchased an LG W2243S-PF (actually 21.5") with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, which I temporarily used, and needless to say the difference was stunning. I'm tempted to purchase a Samsung SM2343BW, an inexpensive 23" monitor with a resolution of 2048 x 1152, meaning higher pixel density than most 24" screens and roughly equal to the aforementioned LG.

One of my concerns is the odd resolution; will games allow me to game natively? Another would be the need for AA, because I doubt my graphics card would allow it for any demanding titles.

2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

That is certainly an odd resolution.

AA is a joke anyway, I can't discern much visible differences with and without AA.

3. Bolx

Bolx The Dogs

+1

LG W2243S-PF 21.5" i agree that monitor is amazing, i am purchasing one very soon

4. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

Sure...If you're blind. :)

5. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Really? Name me one example where the difference is so much that it is a must have.

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

hehe yeah.. aa is sick, it can make a game that looks like ass turn into a pretty nice one- I still push aa at 1920x1080 when possible.. but your correct it's very noticeable at lower res

as an example play something like tomb raider underworld at 8q aa 16x af @ 1920x1080 res.. game looks amazing and you get sucked right in.. play it without and it's not really anything special.. I would stick with 1080 on a 23"- if your going to go higher, get a bigger screen

7. Jewels

Jewels What's a Dremel?

I still notice jaggies in Crysis with 4xAA at 1440 x 900, although it's only the demo as I don't usually play FPS games and I haven't bothered with advanced tweaking.

With the Samsung SM2343BW, I'm hoping the higher pixel density along with its higher (albeit odd) resolution will allow me to play without AA whilst still producing an adequate image. I'm just hoping games will allow me to select its native resolution, assuming they support 16:9.

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

it should.. you can always add the res into the nv_disp.inf and re-install the driver if it doesn't take by itself.. the res should be available for your games then

9. bobtheangryflower

bobtheangryflower lalala

aa seems to vary in noticable difference from one game to another and between resolutions also
    but for the most part a higher res should require less aa

10. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

ever tried playing TF2 with no AA?
    looks terrible
    fortunately TF2 doesnt need much gpu so can be run with like 8x AA and 16xAF no probs :p

11. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I usually don't notice a difference over 2x or 4x AA, but most games don't run that well at that res anyway.

TF2 does look wonderful at max settings though, and looks like poo at the lowest, especially with the no phong mod on. Glad it scales well though.