1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti-depressents

Discussion in 'General' started by hellomoto, 5 Jun 2005.

1. hellomoto

hellomoto What's a Dremel?

I've been on escitalopram for 6 weeks now and I keep getting these tension headaches. I went to see my dr last week and he said just to give it some time for the tablets to kick in. I've had really bad tension headaches since yesterday and it's with me till now. I've also noticed a slight soft pain in my right eye, and it's also abit twitching. :S

Should I go to hospital? I obviously don't want to make a big deal out of nothing but am worried slightly.

2. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

SIDE EFFECTS: The most commonly-noted side effects associated with escitalopram are agitation or restlessness, blurred vision, diarrhea, difficulty sleeping, drowsiness, dry mouth, fever, frequent urination, headache, indigestion, nausea, increased or decreased appetite, increased sweating, sexual difficulties (decreased sexual ability or desire, ejaculatory delay), taste alterations, tremor (shaking), weight changes. Although changes in sexual desire, sexual performance and sexual satisfaction often occur as a result of depression itself, they also may be a consequence of the drugs used to treat depression. In particular, about one in 11 men given escitalopram report difficulties experiencing ejaculation.

Some patients may experience withdrawal reactions upon stopping SSRI therapy. Symptoms may include dizziness, tingling, tiredness, vivid dreams, irritability, or poor mood. In order to avoid these symptoms, the dose of SSRI can be slowly reduced instead of abruptly stopped.
    It has been suggested that SSRIs may cause depression to worsen and even lead to suicide in a small number of patients. These potential side effects are difficult to evaluate in depressed patients because depression can progress with or without treatment, and suicide is itself a consequence of depression. Moreover, the evidence supporting these potential side effects is weak. Therefore, no conclusions can yet be drawn about the relationship between SSRIs and worsening depression and suicide. Until better information is available, patients receiving SSRIs should be monitored for worsening depression and suicidal tendencies.

http://www.medicinenet.com/escitalopram/article.htm

It's always best to read all the information they give you with a prescribed medicine.

3. hellomoto

hellomoto What's a Dremel?

Cheers.

It just seems they are not going away.

4. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

don't let the drugs control you

5. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Escitalopram is an SSRUI and as such should only take about 2 weeks to "kick in" - and also has a side effects list a mile long to cover virtually every side effect known to man.

If you're worried a second opinion can't hurt, perhaps make an appointment with another doctor rather than go to a hospital. It's your choice what you do to yourself at the end of the day.

6. Blue Raven

Blue Raven What's a Dremel?

Definatly talk to your doctor, I went through three SSRI's before I found one without lots of side affects. Apperently, it is different for everyone and some people work better with certain ones.