1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Anti-keylogger

Discussion in 'Software' started by dave_c, 13 Jan 2010.

1. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

can anyone recommend an anti-key logger free software please?

geting sick of my WOW account being hacked

2. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Dont download dodgy items, dont open emails from strangers, get yourself a good anti virus and anti spyware and you will be fine :D

Download Microsoft Security Essentials its free and is a very good package.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2010
  3. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

If it's happening repeatedly do a total reinstallation of Windows, you might have something really embedded. MSE is good but I would use it in conjunction with Spybot (they're fully compatible) as that's good for stupid attacks like keyloggers.

4. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

funny you should suggest that, i reinstalled windows this morning and reinstalled firefox, windows live mail, copied WOW from a backup and updated and installed drivers. that is literally i have done since the re installation of windows.

this is why im getting hacked off with it (excuse the pun) and dont understand how it has happened

5. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

sorry also can you supply a link to MSE and Spybot, just so i know im dling from the right place not a trojan infested alternative :)

6. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

7. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

thanks greg, im gettin jittery using the damn net

8. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

just as a thought, would using the onscreen keyboard stop keyloggers working?

just as a temp solution

9. PureSilver

Er... You mean the Windows one or is there one on WOW? Also if you keep getting hacked I would suggest a really serious password that you can copy and paste (saves you typing it in, which saves time and defeats old fashioned keyloggers). If you reinstall again, check that the files themselves that you're copying aren't infected.

10. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

meant the windows one, iv no idea how key loggers work.

iv ordered an authenticator from blizzard so wont be an issue for too much longer anyway.

my password was already high security (jargon) style

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I just got one working in win 7 with mcafee security suite.. had to shut down all the mcafee services though and design a icon to run in the taskbar to make it look like it was still active- did some tweaks to get by defender as well

far as the on screen keyboard.. it depends cause most keyloggers can take snapshots of your desktop in given intervals and email all the information anon- just a trojan you won't see it in the task manager either

I'm assuming your on xp.. move to windows 7, would be your best bet.. even defender will pick up a keylogger most of the time if configured correctly- run with the uac on full and you won't need antivirus

12. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

unfortunatly the machine im on now cant run windows 7, for some reason XP can operate without the sata drivers but 7 cant. and have been trying to discover the right drivers for my MB for years (literally)

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

ah well your gonna have to get the trojan out one way or another.. re-install would be the thing as mentioned.. cause honestly, xp can be taken for quite a ride once your in

of course anyone with physical access to the machine can always get a trojan in with some savy.. if you suspect it's through the web, maybe do some things differently in the clean install- like use firefox instead of ie.. use a simple updated blocker like peerblock

as a gamer, antivirus sucks.. but simple things like changing your habits (executing or installing things you don't know are safe) will go a long way in keeping your rig clean

post your hardware and me or someone here can see if there's drivers out..

14. TheAbyssDragon

TheAbyssDragon Gafgarion

Has it occurred to you that maybe you should actually do a fresh install of WoW instead of just copying a backup? Chances are, whatever you're being hit with is WoW specific and not a keylogger.

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I was just about to say this. Why would you go to all that trouble and not redownload a game like that?

I'm sure we can find you some SATA drivers if you tell us what mobo you have. Windows 7 has a hugely comprehensive driver library too, it found all the drivers for my hardware 'cept my old Audigy2. Even then it had some generic drivers which made sound work, I just like EAX.

16. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

you may find your problem here

if your getting repeated problems you have to go right back to square one i'm afraid

full reinstall includes WOW as the logger may be embedded there

17. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

WOW generally takes hours to download to PC and then hours more to fully uppdate copying direct from external backup takes minutes

Im just constructing a new PC using a MB i have sata drivers for, so will be install 7 on here.

thanks for the help all

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Leave it going overnight? When you've got a keylogger somewhere the best idea is to start afresh with as much as possible tbh.

19. PureSilver

Krikkit's right. The first thing I woulda junked would be the program that keeps getting hacked, like I said - check that the files you're backing up from aren't themselves infected.

Wipe the Warcraft backup carefully; don't give the bug somewhere to hide in the computer doing the wiping (I use computers using a different OS, though if you don't have a Mac to hand using a proper erasing program will make doubly sure). Make the new PC, get everything installed, re-download WoW, then image the lot and start over with a good AV setup.

20. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

just so you know, have finished the build and have re dled WOW and am now successfully runing windows 7. thanks for the help all