1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti virus. Who else doesn't bother.

Discussion in 'General' started by djDEATH, 22 Mar 2007.

1. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

Ok, so i wouldn't advise this for everyone, but i'm fed up of antivirus and its sheer ineptitude.

I work on a helpdesk, supporting Windows 98, 2000, XP and a very few vista boxes, a couple of linux servers, and a full server 2003 active directory domain. At work i have Windows XP on a crappy work HP Evo, I do however run Vista on teh BEASTIE (see sig) and we also have two linux boxes at home (file server/mythtv box) and me and my housemate also have windows XP laptops.

On my systems i don't run antivirus. and theres reasons for this...

A) my pc at work has only 256MB DDR333 with a celeron 2.0ghz. Its a steaming pile of shite. Running antivrus on top of Outlook, Call loggin software, Firefox, IM client, command prompt or five, Cygwin and remote control software, and it comes to a grinding halt. Turning off antivirus make way more difference than you'd think.

B) at home, before i had vista, i had avast in XP, which was ALWAYS turned off before playing games, it became a daily ritual to bot up, then spend five minutes switching all the unwanted apps off, (those that need to stay in the MSCONFIG anyway) and i realised that i could just run a scan once a week, and disable the auto startup. Now i have vista and i turn windows defender off and stop security centre form alerting me that i dont have antivirus.

C) does it really work anyway?

How many people have had viruses and really and truly got rid of them with symantec, avast, AVG or any other AV for that matter? if you do get a virus, it mneans you either downloaded soem activeX component from a non-truisted source (which means you said yes, even though you didn't trust the publisher), or clicked on some link from someone called xxxhotstuff1983xxx who you dont know and expected it to be a pair of tits with gizzum all over them... i say thats your fault!!

so really, whats the argument? why sacrifice a percentage of my system specs to save my bacon when at the end of the day, if i DO get a virus, i WILL re-install.

Anyone else agree here? I'm the only one at work to not subscribe to the Macaffeee security thingamebob, and magically, my system runs smoother and faster than anyone else here? am i alone?

2. RTT

RTT #parp

I stopped running it years ago. Careful browsing without scripting provides enough protection alongside running behind a NAT router. I rarely download anything executable.

3. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

I DO have a Anti-virus and ive never had one single virus.

Its foolish not to have one, but its weather the right choice as to which is a good one, anything from McAfee or Norton can bugger off.

But there are ways of running a Pc without one.

4. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

I don't bother. Careful browsing and a sound mind work wonders. I've never encountered anything I cannot remove.

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I have a hardware firewall, I know what I download, and I keep tight tabs on my PC.

6. atanum141

One precaution i always take when setting up a new fresh install is putting up the Firewall up at the first port of call.

7. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

exactly.

Obviously giving this advice to someone who DOES visit xxx sites rather than using bittorrent for their hand-cream-writing experiences woudl be a disaster.

8. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

dont get me wrong, i use a firewall - NAT firewall router AND windows firewall.

antivirus is a resource hog though, with, in my experience, absolutely no payback. i dont trust it to get rid of any viruses, so i dont use it.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Not true djDeath, I don't Bit-torrent t3h pr0n.

As has been said in this thread, careful surfing and a hardware firewall is pretty much all you need. I have AVG free on here, but it's more for the resident shield if/when I download an executable I'm not sure about.

10. atanum141

Also not all Softwares are resource hogs....Avast isnt. or AVG.

11. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

you're right avast is nowhere near as bad as Macafee, but still, i was getting tired of waiting for it to load, then just going into task manager and killing it.

Start>Run>msconfig>startup untick teh boxes.

maybe i'm a bit narcissistic, but i kinda like re-installing, gives me a warm feeling of nice clean freshness :)

12. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I use 3 different Anti-Virus programs - Symantec AV (Server 2003); AVG Free (XP); Avast! (Vista Ultimate 64-bit) but none of them are yet to come across a Virus - that's 5 machines in many years. So, in a way I don't need any AV running at all, but it's like a condom for PCs.

13. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

You only ever need to do this once - if you're having to do it every startup then you still need to restart for the changes to occur.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If you take computer-based tasks/documents home from work (as I do frequently; those often poorly specced and always very poorly configured machines at work are no comparison to my creamy smooth, full-specced dual Opteron with 20" TFT) you may want something to stand between your PC and that floppy/USB memory stick. you may be careful, but your colleagues may not be.

15. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

mate, i know, i work on a helpdesk, i help manage an active directory domain for a multinational company and configure gentoo and suse in my spare time, along with building systems for the world+dog for small change.

i was merely demonstrating how much simpler disabling it was compared to turning it off each time i boot.

16. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

My bad, I thought you were referring to MSConfig for turning it off.

17. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

no worries :thumbsup:

interestingly, this is somethign i do when i first install, and also whenever i install any other software, is check msconfig for rogue additions. those who run vista and find it to be sluggish and slow, you may want to consider trimming the services and startup applications, this site is very useful... http://www.speedyvista.com/index.html

it does make a hige difference, and turning a few things off you dont use will inevitable lead to a more stable and quicker runnign system - just like not installing antivirus when even if it does find a virus doesn't fix it properly.

edit: that site also has soem pre-written scripts for setting the variousn levels of trimming. Have a read, very informative.

18. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

19. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Don't get ME wrong. I use none of that. Pc......Modem.....outsideworld......
    virus free since '97

20. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

I've been using Avast for Vista x64, not too sure if I like it though.