1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Any electric guitar players here?

Discussion in 'General' started by SazBard, 4 Jun 2010.

1. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Well this is an inspiring thread,

I have 3 ibanez's (rg370, rg prestige 2750 and a jem) running through a laney lionheart head and soldano cab, I also have an 82 tokai sg which is ****ing awesome, and super heavy and outweights my non-chambered les paul tokai clone.

I wub guitars, I also pimp bareknuckle pickups so much because they are so clear, and have so much response its untrue.

2. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

Had a no-name Strat copy that played well but sounded junk, and a no-name bass that played badly but sounded wicked, but my ex-landlord decided to keep them in lieu of rent

So all I got at the minute is an Epiphone Les Paul, and a Cruiser by Crafter RG600 - both are just beasts!

And I've got three joking practice amps, and a reasonable drum kit

Yeah, I've a bit of a thing for my musical instruments... Got a mandolin somewheres and all...

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Yes, it's partially the EMG's you're hearing.
    Just remember that a LOT of that sound comes from big valve amps. Nothing beats real valves for undiluted aggro-gain.
    Also - playing technique makes a huge difference to sound.
    One of the axemen in my one band can pick up my guitar and play it, and it'll sound COMPLETELY different to when I play it, even if he plays the same thing.

The other thing to keep in mind is that EMG 81s, 85s, etc are ACTIVE pickups. That means they need batteries. Make sure your axe has space for that, otherwise you'd have to think of routing a bit in there for batteries - less than ideal.

4. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I find EMG's a bit hollow for my tastes,

Either a mircleman set or a nailbomb set in my guitars thanks, if i cant take that a set of 57 pafs please. Original.

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I tend to find EMGs rather - lifeless, i suppose. very "Boss-GT8" sounding.

6. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Get a pair of Blackouts, and never look back

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

9. SazBard

Well truth is I don't know what I want! but I do know that I want to upgrade my pickups as the ones in the guitar are probably £20 if that, el crappos. If I cast my critical hearing over how it sounds now, bass is OK, would like it deeper, midrange sounds good, treble is missing that spark from the higher hertz range.

But this is just using my hifi knowledge, I don't really know anything about guitars, only bought it two weeks ago!

My amp is a Line 6 Spider IV 15 which I'm very happy with.

What about strings? I'm thinking to get Ernie balls 11-48 is this a good choice?

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Strings depend on the tuning you're in and the scale length of your neck, aswell as the material of the strings themselves.

Let me elaborate:
    Scale length is the length (and I am sure someone might just know this better than me) between the nut and the bridge. This is normally measured in inches. Standard for 6-strings is 24.75" and 25.5". There are some Baritones that go into the 26" and 27" inch ranges, but they're rare. The limited detail i can quickly find on it makes me assume that (due to it's Les Paul shape and it having 22 frets), it's probably 24.75". Might be 25.5", but My moneys on the former.
    Why is this important for strings? Physics. Less tension over longer distance means less slack. That means less fretbuzz, and all that stuff. That means that on a shorter scale guitar, you'll need thicker strings with higher tension to tune to certain levels.

Tuning:
    Normally a 6-string is tuned E-A-D-G-B-E. Normal .009 gauge strings (measured on the thinnest string) should be fine for that.
    Again, thicker strings mean more tension, as before. HOWEVER, thicker strings also mean that the guitar is more difficult/different to play.
    9 guages tend to be a bit too thin for me. too flimsy, and too soft.
    In normal tuning, i therefore like to play on 10 gauges. Since I Do however have my Main guitar tuned a whole step down (D-G-C-F-A-D), I tend to have all my guitars stringed with 11 gauges.
    Heavier Gauge strings play differently, and I know of guys playing blues on 12's and of guys playing black metal on 9's... so it's partially a preference thing.

Materials make a difference again to how the instrument plays, but more importantly, to the tension on the strings and the sound of it all. Stainless steel strings can be REAL nice, and some Nickel wound (your standard Ernie Ball/D'Addarios - except if you ought non-normal ones) one can be nice as well. I'd make a call on this based on playing it and the sound you like.

As for the pickups - DiMarzio Tone-zone's tend to be nice and "rounded".
    The D-Activators are "hotter". They are high output, and generally rather aggressive. Somehting that you're going to find in a lot of active pickups as well. Hell - the d-activators were basically meant as a passive alternative to the normally active High output options (Duncan invaders (i think), EMGs, etc).
    You'd really need to know what kind of music you want to play to make a definite call on that, I think. Some Gibson Pickups might be just right for you.

SazBard likes this.
  11. SazBard

Just ordered a pack of 10-46 and 11-48 :)
    Thanks for all the help dudes.

I will wait till I get a bit more experience then either go for the DiMarzio D-Activators or the Seymore Duncan Alnico Pro II

Thats if I don't replace the guitar down the line first!

:D

12. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

If you ask me, the order of replacing things once you have an axe and an amp is this:
    -Get pedal
    -Get better pedal
    -get better amp
    -get better guitar
    -ditch pedal
    -get btter guitar
    -get pedal
    -get better amp

and so on. :D

13. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

Your guitar playing will soon turn to an addiction. I have an Ibanez PGM301 and a Gibson SG Classic, and I want more... been wanting to try ESP for a while, but never had the cash. Washburn guitars are supposed to be pretty good as well. Also looking to try out Vox for amps... I currently have a Marshall MG100HDFX which is pretty sweet... and now, so that this post doesnt just look like i am trying to brag. If you guys don't recommend EMGs for metal pickups, what do you recommend?

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

DiMarzio D Activators are GREAT for metal. They're moodier, and heavy on the gain, while being passive.
    other than that, Duncan Invaders, even a Duncan JB59 (i think) can work.

Lots of people like EMGs though - i just can't get a proper tone out of them for some reason. Probably my pick angle or the way i pick or something.

For the record, I play anything from rather bluesy stuff to Glam rock and Black/death metal on my RG with stock pickups, and it works fine. (Those are DiMarzio IBZs - can't buy them separately)

As for different makes of guitars, it's obviously purely personal choice, but here's how I felt about some:

Washburns I'm not so impressed by. I played an X series once, and didn't liek it. It just felt like a Cort, which is nice for a lower budget guitar, but not once you're in the Ibanez Prestige market range.

ESPs are probably some of my favourite guitars in the world to play. The one axeman in my band plays a KH series LTD, and that's already super nice. There's a MII Standard hanging at a local shop, and I don't want to play it because It'll make me want to buy it.
    ESPs have these BRILLIANT necks that move my had ionto concert position, in spite of the neck being quite thick compared to my RG's.

Jacksons i all hate. I have played a USA built soloist, a King V USA built, a number of Japanese built and Performers, and a 1986 Randy Rhoads in original spec. I hate the necks on the things. They just don't feel right to me.

PRS I played some "cheap" SEs and a rather expensive McCarty model. The McCarty is real nice, where the SEs were sortof "ok".

Fender. This is a very double edged sword for me. I've played various Strats, and a vintage Tele. The vintage ('74, methinks) Tele was possibly one of the meanest sounding guitars I've ever played. The strats were all "meh"... but I hear good things about the mexican built ones.

Epiphone - Nice middle of the road instruments, but nothing that speaks to me.

Gibson - Played a Les Paul Custom, which was clearly a good instrument, but not worth the money IMHO. The red V a mate of mine has is absolutely bloody stunning to play, though.

BCRich - Played an american made mockingbird and some body art series. The US Mockingbird plays nice, but the neck is skinny. The Body art series is not bad, but not brilliant either.

Ibanez: Well, I think it's pretty clear by now that I love them. Played a RG7321 7 string, RG2570 Prestige, the bix X-series, an ICT700, various smaller RGs, Various S-Series and S Prestiges, some ARTs, Some Artcores, pretty much all they have to offer, including accoustics, and Various basses. Some of them nicer to play than others. Favourites are anything RG (even though they look boring), and that Iceman ICT700.

15. SazBard

So i've been doing lots of research and messing about with my axe today, i've learnt that the fretboard doesnt have an ideal bow in it so when setup with a low action the top two strings buzz quite alot, and the truss rod nut is fully wound out. Also maybe some frets arent level probably.

also the main cavity on the back doesnt have any shielding, although i dont have a noise issue.

I'm learning my D, and C chord well but taking a slight pause going back to G.

My fingers hurt but I'm loving playing.

:D

16. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Yu haven't even learnt your choords yet but you're still messing with your guitar?

Rock on! :rock:

I'm playing a Squier at the moment, great guitar for the money although it's a bit rough and not so sleek like the proper Fenders. My uncle says he's going to get me a real fender if I do well in my exams although I can't remember the details (we we're both drunk hen we made the deal or at least I was).

17. SazBard

A Fender is a great motivation man, you better get studying! Good luck. :D

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Get a telecaster... they can be MEAN sounding... or get a mexican Strat... your uncle will never make a deal like that again, afterwards. :p

19. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

I got a Mexican Strat when I was a freshman in high school. It's pretty good for the money. I don't think it cost over $600, and it came with good pickups and a floyd rose locking tremelo. It isn't quite as comfortable as my Gibson or my Ibanez though(but hey, those guitars were both twice as much).

Anyways, what size strings and picks does everyone here use?

I use .10s on the SG and the PGM, but .09s on the Strat, and the Jim Dunlop Jazz III picks.

hmm... I kind of want to swap out the pickups in my SG because they can sound a bit muddy at times(usually the rhythm pickup). I was thinking a DiMarzio ToneZone in the Neck and a D-Activator in the Bridge, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any good combination suggestions?

Last edited: 11 Jun 2010
  20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Not sure of the output levels of the ToneZones and whether or not they'll match th D Activators.
    That'd possibly mean that there's a noticable volume jump when switching. But they're both STUNNING pickups.

as I said - string wise I normally stick to .11 D'Addario Strings (i find they hold good tone longer than Ernie Balls). Ernie Balls sound GREAT. For one play.
    Pick wise i stick to black Dunlop Jazz III for most of the times (slowly swapping them for the yellowish-see-through ones whose name i can never recall).
    On the Hollowbody I prefer red Jazz II picks, though. The stubbier nose and different material suits the bluesy playing I do on that.

Bass wise I play Purple Tortex 1.14mm full size picks or (slowly learning to) fingers on standar gauge D'Addarios