1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Any electric guitar players here?

Discussion in 'General' started by SazBard, 4 Jun 2010.

1. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Heres a pic o my baby :) (same guitar I just dont have a recent pic)

[​IMG]

And my beautiful half stack :) well worth the £350 i paid. Its a 150W head with 4 celestations in the cab, A solid state main amp and a Valve pre-amp. So there is plenty of grunt.

[​IMG]

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

NICE! S-Series 'Nez is win. You should try the prestige. The wood-finish one.
    What marshall head is that?

3. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Its the old AVT150 i say old as it was stopped a few years back and they made a tribute version which tbh is absoloute pants

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

ah... ok.
    I still have wet dreams about old JCM's... :p

5. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

I'd love an 8 string as well. My girlfriend says I have to choose though. :p And I think I'd use a 7 string slightly more sensibly than just blasting out Meshuggah 24/7.

DUGGA. DUGGA DUGGA. DUG. DUGGA DUGGA. DUGGA. DUGGA DUGGA. DUG. DUGGA.

WIDDLE WIDDLE WOO WIDDLY WEE WIDDLY WIDDLY WOO WEE.

EEEEEOOOOOOOOIIIIIEEEOOOIIEOOOOE.

DUGGADUGGADUGGADUGGADUGGADUGGADUGGADUG. DUG. DUG. DUGGADUGGA.

DOO. DUGGA DUGGA. DEE. DUGGA DUGGA. DEE DOO. DEE. DUGGA DUGGA.

(That is me speaking a Mesuggah song alive. Add some poly-rhythmic vocals, drums and a bass you can barely hear and you have Meshuggah!"

Cabe6403 likes this.
  6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The beauty of an 8 string is how low it detunes. 1 step is all you need. FADGCFAD would be my preference. Or another step. That would mean that the E is in bass-range, unless I am wrong there (which is possible, seeing as I suck at theory)

And yes - that looks and sounds like Meshuggah :p

7. sleepygamer

The A on that tuning would be the same note as the A on a 4 string bass, and the F would be the same as the 1st fret on the low E of a 4 string bass. Go down a little more, and you are a one man band.

Alternatively, get a 9 string, make even bass players wet.

8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

surely would still be an octave higher?

9. sleepygamer

On an 8? Not as far as I can tell. I just had a quick check in guitar pro, and it tells me that a low F on a guitar would be the exact same note as the F on the first fret of a bass. Bass clef and all. The 9 string would actually get you into the low B range of a 5 string bass.

10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Crikey..

And I thought my C, top string dropped to B tuning on a 56 gauge was low..

11. Margo Baggins

i have never played guitar, so im not sure where the extra strings go on an 8 or a 9 :p and i only play high 5 5 strings :p so ultimately im a bassist who likes the upper register!

12. sleepygamer

It's all personal preference. There's no "right" way to string or tune an 7, 8 or 9 string. The logical one from a metalhead's perspective is as follows, from high to low: (1) E, (2) B, (3) G, (4) D, (5) A, (6) E, (7) B, (8) F#, (9) C# (assuming all 4ths, for chords, of course) but I know some people do an 8 as: (1) A, (2) E, (3) B, (4) G, (5) D, (6) A, (7) E, (8) B. It just increases the range in the upper register too. A nine string sensibly probably wouldn't go lower than F# in standard tuning, because when it gets that low, it's more like a soft breath of air than a struck string. For a 9 (if I were that insane) I would do F# through A, and never play sensible chords ever.

I have a friend who got a custom made 9 string bass.

13. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

The problem with 7, 8 and 9 string guitars is they can totally throw you out when you first start playing. Then, depending on tuning, you have to relearn chords.

I think I would probably get a 7 string but no more than that.

14. sleepygamer

I am in talks with getting a handbuilt 7 string in the UK right now, as my girlfriend wants to buy me a guitar for our anniversary. If I order it in the next month, I get a good £260 knocked off the price. :O

My spec list involves a Floyd, D'addario EXL 9's, Seymour Duncan Blackouts, and a black oil finish body.

If I get this, I will of course post pictures and videos and the like of the sexy. :D

I've played 7's before, but never extensively. Basic extended chords aren't too hard to deal with, but some chords require slightly more... esoteric fingerings. Not that it matters much, as I will be blasting out power chords, shred licks and chugging rhythms. I'm an uncomplicated man with simple tastes. B phrygian tracks and licks. The easiest way to work your way into a 7 string. Why? In essence (although this is a bad way of thinking about it) B phygian is the same notes as E minor, the metalhead's favourite key. Play your e minor licks at 12 and you are good. If you know your E minor across the fretboard, you know all the fingerings of the modes anyway. B phrygian is basically E minor starting at 7.

The proper way of thinking about modes is as their own scale. The simple way to do this is make up a chord sequence or riff that pedals off or is based around the root of the mode. Say B for B phrygian. Once you have this, you will tend to start more licks from the root of B, rather than E, and worm your way out of getting stuck in a players rut. The real fun of modes is then keeping that same B pedal riff, but force yourself to play in E minor, or G major. These are the same notes, but everyone plays different licks and ways when they think in a different key, so you will notice that old licks sound new.

At that point you have completely forgotten that you were trying to work out how to play an F#dim7 on your shiny new 7 string, and found that you are more than comfortable with it without realising.

Man, I ramble a lot.

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I tend to agree with Sleepy there.
    the genre of music I play in is very little "F-G-D" open chords anyway.
    I'd actually recommend anyone to obtain and watch Frank Gambale's "Modes - no more mystery" DVD/Video, and learn.

16. sleepygamer

That is a fantastic DVD. Frank explains it far better than I ever could, and he's a badass sweeper.

17. Margo Baggins

Thanks for clearing that up :)

9 would be too many strings for me. I quite want a sixer again, or even a 7, strung high though. EADGCE(A) - i mainly tap see, and never do i ever tap on the B, so i like stringing high, plus i love high C string on bass.

If i got a 6 again i would get a Yamaha TRB-6, but mainly all i want at the moment is either a deluxe P bass or a Phil Kubiki Factor 4 Bass, http://www.kubicki.com/catalogExfactor.php - potentially my favorite bass ever. Nearly bought one on denmark street a few years ago for a great price, but then when i went back the shop was shut and i had to come back up north :wallbash:

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Speaking of bass - has anyone here had a chance to try the new Ibanez Promethean series of bass amps? Specifically the P500H head through a 4*10?? Really itching to find out what they are like.

19. Margo Baggins

P500H - these are really great. tiny as well, small like alot of the markbass stuff. Never played through a 4x10 but played through a 1x15 in the guitar shop. Nice, the eq is smooth to. Only thing is the sound is a bit polished, though that might have been because i was playing through a cab far superior to mine! Only feature i think is missing is a sub note generator.

20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Yeah, that's what I've been reading all over. Wonder what one of those would set me back. I tend to gravitate towards 4*10 cabs rather than 1*15's, as 4*10 cuts better, and tends to give me a more rounded sound.
    Bass respoone from 10" speakers is good enough, especially since the ICB of mine booms through bassdrums with ease once the bass boost on the axe itself is used. :p