1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Any electric guitar players here?

Discussion in 'General' started by SazBard, 4 Jun 2010.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

They are about £400(online)/£450(shops - if you can find one), give or take. I actually have a 1x15 and a 2x10 - but i want to get a 4x10 to stick on top, but am yet to find a cab that i want to stick on top. I love my 15 - is an old H&H customs cab, but with a new Fane driver which is really nice.

I know what you mean about 15's, i love the deep lows but it completely lacks punch and definition, but i dont think i will ever have a stack that doesnt have a 15 in it. My peavey 2x10 sucks though, sounds like a tin can especially as sometimes i like to boost the mids on the axe, but through that cab it makes the sound quite offensive.

2. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

I play guitar, have done for ~6 months now... and looking for a new amp any recomendations for under £100 preferably. but can go up to £150.. ive got a Line 6 Spider IV 15W and a Peavy Viper 15w that im looking at now but more recomendations the better really..

and finally has anyone here used Seymour Duncan Hot rails? im debating getting 1 for my strat to pop in the bridge possition.. for anyone that doesnt know (doubt it) tis basically a humbucker pickup in the size of a single coil.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Deffo look at the Orange Crush 35Pix or whatever they call it...

4. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

There's a slight problem with sticking a humbucker in a strat, and that is the issue of pot resistance values. Strats tend to use volume and tone pots at 250k, and humbucking guitars, like LPs and SGs use 500k pots. The 500k lets more of thet top end through, and lets the humbucker's boosted gain shine through.

When you stick a humbucker through a 250k pot, you lose a lot of brightness, and you don't get that much more oomph. My friend did this exact mod, and it sounded almost no different. In the end we strapped the guitar for parts and he kept the Hot Rails for another guitar, I think.

...so yeah, if you do decide to use a Hot Rails, wire it to its own volume pot with a 500k resistance, and if you don't use the tone pot/pots, bypass it for that pickup.

5. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

oh yeah of course i was looking at popping in new pots, having 3 volume knobs (for each pickup) rather than the 1 volume and 2 tone if its possible.

However do Single's work ok the a 500k pot ? if not can you have 1 500k then 2x 250k pots?

Also Mankz will go see if any stores nearby have one to try / search online so thanks for the recomendation :) With the amps im not to sure on hte line 6 as suposidly it mkaes all guitars sound the same.. but ive only got a Strat copy and a Epip. Les paul right now.

6. sleepygamer

The singles will run through a 500k no problem, but they may be a little brighter or tinnier than normal. Rolling the volume back should cure it if you go that route. You can mix and match pots as long as you don't put them in series. If you opt for three volumes, you want each pup to its individual pot, and then each pot direct to the correct place on your switch, and then the switch to your jack. It's pretty easy in a strat, as you can do most of the wiring outside the guitar, and then just hook to the jack when you are done. Not forgetting your grounding wire, of course.

7. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Yeah, Thanks for the tips, & yeah i had to resolder the jack connecter before as well as one of the pups as it was quite bad quality when i got it so i know where everything solders to. now just to buy the hotrail and the pots.. Will just get 3x 500k makes it all easier to be honest. And with the ground wire it currently has one going from the switch ( i think at least will check in a min) to the trem (near strings of course) will this need to change or is that ok if i have it Neck SC - pot - switch, middle - pot - switch, bridge - pot - switch then ground the switch like i think it is currently or do all 3 need to be grounded?

ok just checked.. its the volume knob (as it controls all 3) that is grounded currently so im guessing all 3 volumes after the change will need to be grounded. last edit... It goes currently all 3 pick ups > Switch.. > Volume. Switch > tone 1 and 2. then Volume Switch > jack and Volume Switch > ground

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I did a mod to one of my axes to switch single coils between running in series/in parallel.
    Even there, the change was minimal (though they do sound better parallel).
    i'm still looking for good pickups and a place that can respray that axe the way I want it (Hotrod flames on grey sheet metal type of looks).
    Pickups need to be single coil, fit into a Fender Strat, and roar like hell.

9. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

I do believe I will be buying this as soon as I get my next paycheck...
    http://www.samash.com/p/RGT42DXFXBKF-Electric-Guitar-Flat-Black_-49981537

I went in to my local record store(it's called hot poop... it kicks ass) the other day looking at guitars. I decided to try that one out and it sounded pretty damn amazing, especially for the price(its only $499 in the store, and I can probably get them to go a bit lower).

10. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

I can heartedly recommend getting a small tube amp if it's just form home practice, I've never been satisfied with the ss amps that have a boatload of features, without doing anything particularly well. But what do I know? I'm a bassist at heart! My little guitar amp is a Blackheart Little Giant, but that may be out of your price range if you're looking for a new amp. What about the Epi Valve Jr. or the Laney Club 10? IME/IMO a decent-sized speaker (like 8-10"+) and a good few tube watts (5+) will give you a MUCH better experience than a modelling amp. Quality not quantity.

As to your other question, our lead guitarist uses an American standard strat with a hotrails in. The tone pot has been wired so pulling it away from the guitar's body coil taps it back to a single coil. You can (just) see it, the black pup on the white scratchplate. What would you like to know?

[​IMG]

11. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

sorry for the huge bump.. but i gots a new question for all of you, does anyone know if the peavy envoy 110 40w is good? Im only asking as i saw one the other day in ok condition, bit beaten up but guarentee that it works for £79.99.. just wondering as amps im looking at are all close to £200. where this one retails at £200 new.. If it helps the music i normally play is really anything but mainly metal or punk.

12. sleepygamer

Rule of thumb with pretty much anything music related: try before you buy. Drag your guitar along and play what you want to play and tweak it. A few of my friends have bought stuff before without testing, and have generally regretted it.

13. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Will see if i can, if I cant there is a 60 odd day returns policy for any reason, and hopefully will be able to have a quick test in the shop dpesite i'll probs feel like a pillock as it isnt a music store as such..

14. sleepygamer

Swallow your pride and ask. It's worth it. If it sucks, then you saved yourself £80, if it's awesome, then you are golden. Try and haggle them down a bit, too. With help from my dad, I talked P.M.T. into selling me my Peavey Triple XXX down from £1000 to about £700. Biiiig saving. We could have got him down to £650, but he was sweatin' by then.

My dad is selling his Peavey Bandit 112 if yer interested? xD He's after like £170 or so, though.

15. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Should have a suprise for you guys in a few weeks.

16. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Well im gonna pop back in sometime next week and have a better look at it and if they let me a quick go using it, as for the bandit im good thanks just due to having a sevre lack of money.

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I ahve been itching again lately.
    I've started goign through Rusty Cooley's (SP?) Shred Guitar Method - specifically the Left Hand workout.

And I've been eyeing the PRS range of guitars... I really (like REAAAAALLLLLLY) want a Tremonti signature.

18. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Shameless plug, but my dad is selling a very rare and very collectable Marshall 5212. PM me if you fancy a link (it's on EBay). Fantastic gigging amp: 50W SS, 2x12" Greenbacks, ~20 years old. Currently at £62.

Are we allowed Ebay links in our posts?

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

OK, I need a bit of advice from you guys.

I have lying around at home, a 90's Fender Strat replica (Branded as Cheri) in sunburst, with a white scrathcplate.
    The thing plays really well, is decently built, but sounds and looks utter shite. (the looks might be debatable - the sounds is crud. fact.)

I find it a shame to ahve it lying around just because it looks and sounds so horrible, so I am planning a little project that's been in the planning for a good while now.

1) Replace the entire electronics-harness. It's made of cheap wiing, crap pots, etc. All must go, all will eb replaced with quality parts.
    2) Replace pickups. The decision there is pretty much made: Duncan hotrails.
    3) Replace machineheads. Tghe current ones are carppy and have no tuning stability
    4) Replace Bridge with one that's similar, but not as cheaply made.
    5) Sand off the bad colour
    6) Carving on the body. Designs to be posted as I get closer to the time.
    7) Paint as needed. (see 6)
    8) Custom volume/tone knobs and blade switch to match body.Mot likely machine aluminium.

I have played guitars for a good few years now, and I know what I want from this axe.
    I play mostly death/thrash/black metal, and this guitar is going to be customised to fit into that mold.
    Keeping that in mind, there are some requirement:
    - Good tuning stability without a floyd rose (I love floyds, but this one isn't going to get one). I am pretty rough on ym guitars (playing-wise. I look after them well, though)
    - Good sustain (as good as it's possible to get - I know that with a bolt-on neck, there's not too muhc I can do there.
    - QUALITY hardware. Tone is as important as looks in this case.
    - Accomodate for heavy gauge strings. .52's, .56's, etc.

My questions to the people here that know:
    - Given the musical Genre i am into and without going Humbuckers, are the Hotrails the best choice (i know they're active)? I want Active tone, so that eliminates DiMarzios, and I couldn't see any EMG's that seem to sound the biz.
    - I was looking at Gotoh Machineheads (the locking kind), but don't actually know much about them at all. Anyone have any experience with them? Also - the new "different size holes" in the pegs has me a bit concerned due to the string gauges I normally play with.
    - I was also looking at a GOTOH replacement bridge for a fender strat, when I found out there's a million variations. Assuming tht I'd get the right variation, how good are they? are there better options?

20. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

While I can't help out too much with bridge selections, I can offer my input on some other points!

If you use paint stripper/white spirit etc to remove the paintwork, you may find the wood underneath becomes uneven (moisture gets absorbed). Sanding will take this away, at which point, you should use car filler (not wood filler!) to smooth out the body. You'll get substantially more weight added to the guitar from car filler, which should improve sustain (not much, but enough). Same goes for big, bulky machine-heads. Schaller and Gotoh are the recommendations for locking machine heads here, so choose whichever ones you like.

The EMG S pickups are active single-coils with hum cancelling (not true humbuckers, but close), so might be worth listening to some. I'm assuming your pickup layout is S/S/S? Might be worth routing a humbucker in the bridge if you want to go full custom, but I'm also guessing that's not an option.