1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Any good 3D films to watch?

Discussion in 'General' started by StingLikeABee, 16 Nov 2011.

1. StingLikeABee

StingLikeABee What's a Dremel?

A few weeks ago my wife and I treated ourselves to a new TV. It's a 3D TV, and we've tried it out with the various demos that our cable provider offers, and one or two on demand films. So far we have been impressed with the set up.

Now though, we are on the look out for some decent 3D movies to watch, so any recommendations would be more than welcome if possible please? We've noticed that there seems to be quite a difference in how effectively 3D is utilised in the few films we've seen. Obviously, we would much rather a decent film, plot and performance wise, than have a 3D one which is rubbish, but there must be some that offer both?

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

3. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

If you can find it, try the IMAX Hubble movie that was just recently released to video. It was stunning in the IMAX theater, but I haven't heard any feedback on the transition to the home video format.

I'm curious to know how the actual 3D content compared with the content that was converted to 3D during post production.

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

This A Turtles Tale. is a very good film with lots of great pop out 3D.

5. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Beowulf

6. Xir

Xir Modder

...I agree with the IMAX comment...
    Otherwise. None. :sigh:
    If you payed extra for this feature, you've been had. :D
    If you got it for free (included anyway) at least you have a higher refreshrate, congrats.

7. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

The new tintin film I feel is the best 3d film I have seen, the only one I feel could lose something in 2d :)

(but I might be wrong as I havent seen it in 2d!)

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

3D TV's don't run any higher than 60hz. 1920x1080x60 or even 1920x1080x50 (My TV is advertised at 800Hz, but it doesn't do 1920x1080x800.
    How can you say we have been had? When I bought my 3D Passive TV, I find it as good as the Cinema, because 1, its passive, and uses the same 3D glass as the Cinema, and 2, Playing games in 3D is very Epic. Especially a 3rd person shoot, and 3, I can switch any 2D TV into 3D by one with a touch of a button!

9. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Still in 2 minds about this 3D stuff, perhaps it's my lack of knowledge on how the tech works?

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

nope...

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Each to their own....

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

firstly i can't 'do' 3D and imo if it's a crap film 2D, watching it in 3d is not going to magically make it all better

... and i'm a cheapskate unwilling to pay extra for a 3d film/tv [that I'll see no benefit from]

13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I beg to differ, I found Avatar looked and played stunning in imax cinema in 3D, where the 2D version didn't give the same effect and therefore didn't give the effects of being there, that 3D gave.

14. StingLikeABee

StingLikeABee What's a Dremel?

Can I ask why you think that? I have watched all the demos available through my cable provider (Virgin), and the 3D aspect is great. I also watched a 3D film, and that was a pretty cool experience. Not just for me, but for my whole family. We watched one though where the 3D was purely an afterthought.

As it happens, we got the TV (Panasonic Viera TX-P42ST30B) for what we considered to be a decent deal. The TV is listed on the Panasonic website at £1,198.99, we paid around £540. Then we had to pay £115 for 4 pairs of active 3D glasses. I read a lot of reviews on the TV, and all praised the picture quality of both 2D and 3D output, and with the feature set of the TV we don't feel ripped off in any way. If 3D turns out to be a flash in the pan (a la betamax et al.), then we still have a great TV at a price we were happy with. It wasn't the 3D that we specifically bought the TV for anyway. Full HD, and decent picture quality were more important at the time. We were interested enough in 3D though for it to be a consideration.

Thanks to everyone else for the recommendations, and I really like the sound of that IMAX hubble film. :thumb:

15. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

The Hubble film is worth it for the documentary aspect alone. I think it was well worth the experience to see it in 3D in an IMAX theater. I'm still not sure if the experience will translate to a smaller screen with significantly less sound, but I need to try it out first.

As far as the information goes, it would still be cool in 2D.

Avatar, on the other hand, was a crap film to begin with. No amount of extra dimensions can save it. :p

16. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

Any thoughts on Tron:Legacy?

17. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Immortals. It's not a good movie, but it's most good-looking movie I've seen in years and has the best 3D too.

Seriously worth the money just for the visual awesomeness.

18. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Great movie but god I wished I saw it in 2D... Those 3D glasses rape the colour and brightness. When the 3D worked I forgot about it when it didn't it was distracting.

3D is a gimmick as far as I'm concerned.

19. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

Now, wait 'til hologram tech is finished!

20. Xir

Xir Modder

Correct...
    That's what i meant with "If you got it for free (included anyway) at least you have a higher refreshrate, congrats." That wasn't meant to be sarcastic.
    You got a good panel for a price you're happy with, congrats...

And on top of it, it does 3D, yay.
    Is your family really spending the night in glasses now, hoping for a 3D ad to turn up during regular TV?
    Or do you just play the occasional film in 3d?

I've yet to see a movie where 3D really adds something, all the last ones where "oh we have to hold an object really close to the camera so it jumps you....for no reason at all"

I'd buy a 3D TV if I were buying one and it compares well in it's priceclass. I'm not paying extra for for the 3D part though. ;)