1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Any history buffs or students out there?

Discussion in 'General' started by specofdust, 15 Feb 2008.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Hallo history lovers, wanting some advice of y'all.

I've read various european history mostly ranging over the last millenium over the years, but now I'm wanting something that covers at least the last 2000 years (at least from the end of the major roman empire), preferably in 100 year blocks. Does anyone know of anything that fits the bill? It'd be great to be able just to buy 100-300 page books that cover 100 years of european history, political, cultural, philosophical, technological at a time. Since I doubt such a specific thing exists though, I'm hoping you can all understand pretty much what I want and make reccomendations based on that desire.

Cheers.

2. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

There is one publication which immediately comes to mind, though it might only be available in Norway.
    It was published last year and is a very good historical referendum comprising 15 volumes and covering most of what we call written history.

It was published on Aschehoug publishing house, and is simply called World history. Not quite what you're looking for I guess, but it is very good and goes into great detail.

Oh yeah, and I do have all fifteen volumes sitting in my bookshelf. They look quite impressive if I dare say so myself. :D

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Sorry if this is meant to be obviously implied, but is it in Norwegian?

4. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Ah.
    No, I think I should be the one to apologise. I didn't even consider the language-barriers. Being fluent in english (as well as norwegian obviously) the problem didn't occur to me. Yes, the books are in norwegian - and I know you guys don't have norwegian as a second language option over there. Come to think of it, I don't think anyone does.

The books are very good though. :D

5. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

is there not those chronicles series books they massive like 1000 pages, my bro had a Uk one supporting his monitor

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

couldn't you wiki it???

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Thanks anyway Journeyer. Don't think it's quite worth learning a new language for :p

Pranks7er, that's kinda what the threads about finding out ;)

And The Beast, yes, wikipedia will contain the information I'm interested in probably, but sitting front of a computer for an extra 2-3 hours a day digesting history just isn't something I want. Plus you can't always refer to it as easily - and it's not written nearly as well as most real books are.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Those are look to be two very interesting websites Nexxo, thanks. Not in book form unfortunately, but cool nonetheless :)

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

11. cpu121

cpu121 What's a Dremel?

Tags: