1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any major concerns with AMD athlon?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kongen, 25 Jan 2005.

1. kongen

kongen What's a Dremel?

I was in the local circuit city today and I was shopping when I heard the employees chatting about they have had some troubles with Amd athlon chips somthing about screwing them up if they did somthing. I was curious if anyone knew what they might have been talking about I haven't heard of any major problems with touching Athlons. Perhaps these people are just :rolleyes: dumb. Perhaps they meant somthing related to when you change the thermal paste or taking the chip in and out or maybe they were trying to overclock and it went horribly wrong. Anyway just thought I would ask if anyone had seen or heard anything similar.

Athlon fan here at the moment so hopefully there is not somthing that is going to shatter my fame with them. :wallbash: :wallbash:

2. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Circuit City employees know about computers? When did that happen?
    Ironically enough, I plan on applying to Circuit City within a few months

3. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

IMO, Athlon chips are much more reliable than Intel chips. Now, all chips have their little problems, and all manufacturers have problems. There's no way around that. But, I have heard about more Intel problems (mainly heat, Intels are much more likely to overheat) than I have from AMD chips.

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Don't feel bad altron, i slag off the pcworld staff here all the time, and i keep meaning to apply there.

5. Kensei

Kensei What's a Dremel?

They are most likely talking about Pre-Ath64 chips.

The older athlons dont have a heatspreader on top so you have to be very careful when applying thermal paste and installing a heatsink. Do it wrong and you will

A) Short a resistor or 40

B) CHip/Crack the exposed core.

Shits is not an issue with Ath64's which are near indestructible.

6. kongen

kongen What's a Dremel?

Ahhhh That has to be what they were talking about the conversation makes a lot more sense. So don't buy pre 64 chips unless you are smart enough to know how to put on the thermal paste correctly. That is a good thing to know I will make sure to keep that all in mind. Thanks! :D

Applying to work at circuit city good maybe a few more people who know what they are talking about will make the few others look bad and get them out. What ever you do don't ask extreme geeky questions to the computer section their they find the guy who is a geek and ask him for help. If you are that kind of guy you will be plagued with questions... :wallbash:

7. PilchY

PilchY Minimodder

problem is that PC World in the UK, well the store by me doesnt seem to have many geek's... just people that profess to know a lot... yet a simple question gets em stuttering....

But a Athlon chip is sooo easy to do... if they are having problems then the really shouldnt be in the job!

8. dastt

dastt What's a Dremel?

my first real build i used an amd athlon and it went perfect, as long as u take your time and dont force anything you wont crack the die and thermal paste is pretty simple to get the hang of.

9. pre

pre Minimodder

More likely to kill is the 3 prong clip mechanism AMD used to use. A slip of a screwdriver and you could make a divot in the mobo or scratch a trace.

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've slipped more than once and never killed a board. Nor have I cracked a CPU or GPU even when I'm sure I had. They're surprisingly durable - I couln't drill a hole in one (dead one of course), although it shattered with a shot from the hammer.