1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any Oakley people here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Zener Diode, 5 May 2015.

1. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Not sure if I can help with the value much, but I actually used to own a pair of those but with Ice Iridium lenses. Fantastically solid but also fantastically heavy. I'll never forget how they once survived being run over by the car after they'd fallen out of a loose pocket. Soft ground helped a lot there, but I doubt many frames would have been able to survive that.

Zener Diode likes this.
  3. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

Whoaa, that's impressive! : D Thanks for the input!

4. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Ditto on the pricing, I do know that when they came out they were the most expensive in the range. I'm a big Oakley fan and have several pairs in different styles for different activities, polarized for driving for example.

I did try a pair and they are very heavy, this might be fine in the short term but you will feel it long term. I don't think they would be suitable for vigorous activity such as cycling or running unless you had some sort of head strap to keep them in place but you would still have to contend with them bouncing about on your face.

I would recommend a try before you buy just to get a feel for how heavy they are but that might be a bit tricky as they are and older style and might be difficult to track down in the shops.

5. Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome I go to 11

I have a pair with the standard blue lenses. Got them off eBay about a year ago for a shade over £100. Similar condition too, visibly used but no huge scratches or anything.

I agree with the others saying they are quite heavy, they are also surprisingly wide too due to the kink in the arms. They are very solid and the lenses can be replaced pretty easily if needed.

I haven't done any kind of exercise whilst wearing them so can't comment on how well they hold on to your face but general walking around and looking down doesn't seem to move them.

As far as I know they are also out of production now so tracking pair down in a shop may be tricky, you shouldn't have too many problems selling them on again if you didn't like them though.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've had a pair with Ruby lenses since forever, they hold up remarkably well to any sort of punishment you could imagine.

I've done jogging and other similarly vigorous activity in them with no issues - they're adjustable in theory, but the auction doesn't look to have called out the spare pads so I suspect they're not included.

Do note that they're still very large when folded, and not really easily pocketable. If you're after a hard case your options are the large pill-shaped case or the extremely large metal vault case. I've got the pill case, but sometimes I just use the fabric bag.

I'm not sure if they're great value to be honest. Yes they were fantastically expensive upon release so it may seem so, however these look pretty beat up, and over £100 is a lot to pay for sunglasses in that shape no matter how much they originally may have been.

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I also own a pair, the Ducati ones with the red accents. I bought mine at full price (some £230 iirc) in 2007 and they've been rock solid ever since. There are a couple of minor scuffs on the lenses after 8 years of abuse, but Oakley only want £50 for a new pair of lenses so when the time comes I'll give them a new lease of life.

You can also get a refurb kit with all the bumpers for not much cash.

I have quite a big head so they work well for me, but they would be less than ideal if you have quite a small or narrow head.

Still, if you look after them they should give many years of excellent service, and the opticals are excellent. Not sure I could live with the scuffed frame though.

8. Mister_Tad

Good point. Worth mentioning that of the similar styles, the Penny frame is smaller, the Juliet is in the middle and the Romeo is larger. There's the XX as well, that's too large for any human's head, ever.

9. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Frank Sidebottom-sized?

10. Mister_Tad

Mr Mackey sized

11. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

mmmm-kay!

12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It wouldn't surprise me if those hit £150 before close of play, at least £120, Juliets are desirable.

As for being beat up, replacement lenses are available from various places, I quite like Revant Midnight Suns. Ti frames polish quite nicely as well if you're brave enough to break out the dremel and go for the raw look.

13. Pootana

Pootana What's a Dremel?

what are they for ... looks or a specific sport etc...

I have had a fair few pairs over the years and some styles dont work well for everyday use.

14. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I wear heavily customized Wind Jackets and would say they're eminently more wearable. Mine have XX Red Iridium lenses and the color reproduction is the best I've ever seen.

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

My brother has a prescription pair of Oakley's in frames very similar to those. They are very nice glasses! IIRC his were well north of £250 a few years ago, but that included the lenses.

16. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

Good point, I think they're the thickest metal framed sunglasses I've ever seen!

Yeah they're probably not *the* most practical sunglasses in the world! : D

Ah, my head is rather small :c The Ducati ones are pretty awesome : D And I hadn't thought about a refurb kit, that's a good idea!

Yeah my head's small, I'd probably be better off with a smaller frame! I'd love to try the XX though just to see how ridiculous it would look : D

Yeah apart from the nose flex rubbers they're not too badly beat up really. The nose flex rubbers are just annoying to replace and they don't seem to last long so that's probably the most annoying thing about them. But the frames are tough and a few scratches is no big deal to me, and some of the photos accentuate the scratches which I don't think would be too noticeable in real life. £150 though O.O I'm bad at auctions! I've seen things that I was so sure would sell for a fortune that I didn't waste my time bidding, only for them to sell for very little. On the other hand, I've seen auctions with hardly any bidders/watchers, and held out hope that nobody would notice, only for the price to multiply 10x right at the end! xD

Honestly, for satisfying my "acquiring shiny new things that I don't need" addiction xD I hear what you're saying, not the most practical everyday frame!

Wind Jackets are badass but I tried them once and they seemed huge on my face! But they seem like robust sunglasses. I've heard of some skydivers using them!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

17. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

I'd love prescription Oakleys, they're supposed to be very good indeed! They do cost a fortune though!

18. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Yeah scratch that, I checked with him... The frames were £300 on their own! :jawdrop:

19. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

Whooooooooa, that's crazy expensive! I went on the hunt for prescription Oakleys before and pretty much every optician that I asked tried to avoid answering when I asked how much the lenses would cost. They just got all evasive and told me to get contacts instead : D

20. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That's really not that much money for high end glasses. I wear a £650 set of Orgreen/Zeiss every day, I have a set of Oakley/Zeiss glasses that cost £500 as their predecessors. I'm blind as a bat so cheap optics are a non starter for me, I have some £70 spares in a draw somewhere that I can technically see with, just about.

Having said that, since Oakley stopped using clip in inserts and went to the 'direct glaze insert' on the Radar and M Frame they've gone downhill, those things are useless if you're more than +/-2.