1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Any recommendations for a 1070 for an NCase M1?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bawjaws, 20 Apr 2017.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Hey fine bit-techers,

I'm in the market for a shiny new GPU. I fancy a 1070 but am having difficulty deciding which model might suit me best. I am rocking an NCase M1 which is awesome, but one consequence of downsizing is definitely an increase in both heat and noise and that's certainly the case for my current trusty GPU, a 660Ti. It's a blower-style cooler, but it gets really toasty playing the likes of GTAV and the fan is.... not quiet.

Orthodox wisdom suggests that I should be looking for a blower cooler for this case, but the options are fairly limited. I've heard that the FE cooler gets really rather loud, but other reports suggest that it's pretty good both in terms of performance and noise. Then there's the likes of the Gigabyte 1070 Mini, although I'm a little concerned from pictures that it's quite a deep card (the shroud and PCB appear to protrude a decent amount above the top of the PCIE bracket). Other than those, I can't see any other blower-style 1070s out there.

But do I really need a blower? Would a couple of exhaust fans on the bottom of the M1 handle a open-style cooler effectively?

I'm really looking for some input from our resident M1 experts, and anyone rocking a 1070 of whatever variety. I really do value low noise, especially at idle, so zero-fan modes and the likes are a bonus, but equally I don't want to be having to plug in my headphones in order to hear the radio in GTA V, which is currently the case!

Cheers in advance
    Bawjaws

2. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I am in the same boat as you (I saw you signed up to Hardforum too). My Ncase M1 (Silver, No ODD) is currently working its way through customs as we speak. I have been reading a lot and have been trying to convince myself I don't need the 1080, but I have a couple of weeks left before I buy so I will have to wait to see if prudence or desire wins out.

Back to the subject at hand. I have decided to go for the Strix model. It fits as the PCI-E sockets are recessed so no adapters are needed. It also runs cooler than the FE or other blowers although at the cost of up to 5c rise in temps of CPU (and I assume the motherboard). I am going to put 2 noctua fans under it and plug them into the fan headers on the card itself, which is another reason to get this card in particular. It runs through software which could be better but isnt too bad from what Ive heard.

These fans, if set as intakes, apparently enable the GPU fans to switch on later and also not spin up so much, so less noise overall. People are reporting between 65-70c (or thereabouts) at approx 60% fan under stress testing which seems good to me.

Other than that the hybrid options are a good bet but you will need to ask around to see if they fit, I've heard some don't. the other blower type is the Asus Turbo but you will need to read up on this as I have made up my mind about getting the strix.

Out of interest, what are you planning componant wise for your build?

Last edited: 21 Apr 2017
  3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Ah, didn't realise you were over on [H], too!

My build is done: it's a 6700K in a Z170i Pro Gaming, using a Noctua U9S with two fans. PSU is a Silverstone 600W SFX effort. I've stuck a 120mm Noctua fan on the side panel as an intake, but it doesn't make a massive difference to temperatures. All fans are using low noise adaptors and the whole thing is pretty acceptable in terms of noise, although the PSU is a bit noticeable at times - once it spins up it seems to take a while to quieten down, and occasionally it just refuses to do so even when no longer under load.

I'm thinking about flipping the PSU - it currently draws air through the side panel but I wonder if things might be better if the intake was inside the case being fed directly by the 120mm fan. To be honest, though, I don't think I can bear the idea of redoing all of the cables and so on - whilst the M1 is a wonderful case to build in given its size, it isn't nearly as easy to work with as a larger case and the cable management options are limited indeed.

I'm currently using Asus's fan software, but only because the BIOS fan control doesn't allow for any delay in changing the fan speeds, so they ramp up and down every time any load goes through the CPU. Ideally I'll install a Grid+ but I hear it has some issues with PWM fans, plus it'll involve even more cabling!

Overall, I'm really pleased with the build. The M1 is a brilliant case, just full of nice little touches and thoughtful design. The only thing is that the paint/finish is quite fragile so it's easy to strip little bits of it where screws attach. Might not be so noticeable if your case is silver, but mine is black.

I really should put up a build log, actually. Might do that over the weekend.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've taken a look and it looks very much like the Raijintek Metis inside. I would personally go with a dual fan type GPU, as this guy has here.

[​IMG]

And then fit two 120mm fans (one if that isn't possible) to draw air up through the bottom into the GPU. However, you will need to use slim fans. There are a few around if you need any help with that.

That way you can basically use the case as you would use one of Silverstone's sideways cases (Fortress and Raven work like a wind tunnel).

5. Vault-Tec

Here, here is what I did. I was using a Jonsbo but again it shares similarities. I was lucky enough to get the fans on the outside of the case though, because the side panel covered them completely once fitted (it had a curve around at the bottom).

Floor plate with two 120mm fans fitted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally.

[​IMG]

I used Yate Loon for some serious pressure, but I doubt you would get those in. Gelid and a few others do nice slim fans though.

As soon as I did that it went from being a sweat box to being incredibly well cooled.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

The clearance between the underside of the GPU and the bottom of the case is just under 3cm. Even with slim fans in there I don't think there's enough room for them to work effectively. I've tried a fan acting as an intake for my current GPU and it made absolutely zero difference to temperatures or noise.

A dual fan card would probably be quieter than a blower, providing that you can get the hot air out of the case. To that end I don't think intakes at the bottom of the case will help - the back of the GPU acts like a partition to keep hot air trapped in the bottom portion of the case, and all of the ventilation holes in the side panels are in the top half of the panels. So I think you'd just end up with hot air stuck in the bottom of the case if you don't have any exhaust there.

Also, isn't the Metis inverted?

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Also, there's really not much clearance between the underside of the case and the ground - the feet on the M1 are considerably smaller than the stand on your Jonsbo :)

8. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you opt for a static pressure optimised fan maybe, also Silverstone APs at a low rpm would possibly be another option?

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I think it would absolutely have to be a slim fan, because there is about 5mm of clearance between the GPU and the top of a normal 25mm fan!

Does anyone here have a 1070, either FE or otherwise, and can speak to the noise/temperatures in whatever case they're using? I have to confess that I actually really like the look of the FE cards, but my worry is that they might get a bit rude at high fan speeds.

10. Vault-Tec

The Metis is like a transformer. It all comes apart and you can configure the inside however you wish :)

11. MightyBenihana

I'm going with the sf600 PSU, it has a bigger fan (92 Vs 80) and now the fan curve has been fixed (as far as I have heard) it is a good deal quieter than the Silverstone.

I have mainly seen people use noctuas under the strix as they have decent static pressure. Yes there is no real place for ventilation but the air does get forced out in places, just not as effectively as would be liked. You can't just keep pumping the air in if it didn't go somewhere, it would explode lol.

Last edited: 22 Apr 2017
  12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, positive pressure means that the air has to go somewhere :D

I looked at the SF600 but I've heard varying stories about it - some people seem to get near-silent examples and others are less fortunate. Perhaps that's the early fan curve issue, of course. The thing about the Silverstone is that it's not exactly loud, or annoying, but the Noctua fans that I have are basically silent, so the PSU is more noticeable than it would otherwise be. Anyway, I'm not complaining as it was a second-hand bargain courtesy of one of the fine upstanding members of this forum.

I'd be very interested to see how you get on when your stuff arrives and how the Strix works out for you :)

13. MightyBenihana

I am planning to post a build log when finally get my hands on everything in early to mid June.

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Looking forward to it!

15. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

16. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

The 970 in my N1 is a blower style reference nvidia cooler and it is by far the loudest component in my case. If you look at the folks who have replaced the cooler with something like the Arctic Cooling extreme iii they seem to get better results with the bottom fans expelling air rather than as intakes.

17. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

How did you fit the fans on the floor, V-T? I've picked up an Jonsbo U3 case and short of drilling some new holes I'm not sure how I should fit a floor fan.

18. Vault-Tec

I would show you but sadly I can't. Photobucket has gone to hell in a handbag and I did not keep all of my pics :(

Edit. Actually they are in the thread already. Just scroll up :)

19. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Oh yes - silly me. Thanks!

Tags: