1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Any Synth keyboard players here?

Discussion in 'General' started by SazBard, 17 Dec 2010.

1. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

Alright,

I'm quite interested in buying one but don't know what is good and bad. Can any of you recommend a nice beginner synth?

I've been looking at these two:

* Novation 25 SL MkII - £249
    * Arturia Analogue Experience The Laboratory - £279

Arturia is impressing me because the software it comes with has lots of pre loaded sounds, well 3500 actually. And all from THE best synths i.e. CS V80, Minimoog etc etc. But the Novation keyboard seems a bit more sexy and robust.

I haven't seen either in real life, just on you tube..

Well if anyone can save me from buying cheap well marketed rubbish then I will be very grateful.

Cheers.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2010
  2. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I picked up a cheap MIDI keyboard and a soundcard a few weeks ago. I can't help you much, but there are a couple of things to consider:

Soundcard. You will need a low latency card. I tried to use my Xonar Essesnce STX. It's simply useless for DAW work. I ended up with a Focusrite Sapphire 6. It seems to work nice except for a couple of bugs I haven't had time to figure out yet.

Software bundles. Don't get too tempted by bundled software. Often bundled software is stripped down versions of expensive software. Primarily go for good hardware, and use lots of time to decide on a good DAW. There are loads of demos out there you could try. :)

I tried out a couple of DAWs but didn't quite understand half of the functions. Now I'm using FLstudio which seems ok for my use, But probably not as good if you want to do some proper recording.

As I said, I'm very new at this myself, but this is what I have figured out so far.

3. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

I have flstudio and renoise and am using asio drivers so latency is pretty low. I just dont know what keyboard to get. Im not into pro recording (yet). I just wanna have some fun, i've always wanted a keyboard since my Amiga days! About time i realise a dream.

4. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

If you don't mind getting a used Synth then it'd probably be worth looking into used. You'll save a lot of money and get the same stuff basically.

If you do go down the preowned route then I'd have a look at Korg models and Roland models. I've used various devices from both manufacturers before and they've always impressed me.