1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any tips/advice for organising stuff in my room? [video update added]

Discussion in 'General' started by RickDawson, 1 Jan 2009.

1. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

It does make sense, but I don't want to try any smells.
    most, if not all smells added will just make me ill.

/ Goes back to the sorting

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

You need to be quite brutal, I'm a hoarder but every now and again I just have a big clear out and to be honest there a feeling of relief once it's all gone.

Have a look around and actually think about the last time you used anything, if it's been more than 6 months throw it out.

3. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

This is a really good thread, 2009 is the year of the sort out for me (I'm a total hoarder, my parents throw everything away so I'm like the complete opposite).

I don't have any practical advice yet, but I will say this. Remember you are not alone, you can already see how many people have said they're in the same situation in this thread. It's easy to become so ashamed of the mess that you make it out to be worse than it is and it seems impossible to sort so you put it off. It's not impossible, it's just going to be hard work, but soooo worth it!

When it's done you will have the best nights sleep ever in your room, I know I did the last time I was brutal and cleared it all out :)

One thing I will say is try to avoid just throwing stuff in the bin, not only is it not great for the environment, but as a hoarder I've found that giving stuff to charity shops, etc. doesn't seem quite as bad as binning. It feels like it still has a use and I wasn't silly to keep hold of it. Also it's harder to take stuff back out of the pile for the charity shop than it is the bin ;)

Good luck! :thumb:

4. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

i had a sort out late in the year last year and me and my girlfriend managed to throw away about 6 black bin bags full of stuff just from my bedroom so it really does help to have a clear out every now and then.

if you can think of 1 or 2 reasons not to have something or you cant think of a reason why you need it then throw it away.

Josh

5. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

I wish there was a simple way to scan all my magazines and have them entered into a database that allows me to search for the information and can actually read the text in the magazine. I also keep all old parts and boxes and have used them for RMAs in the past. I really should try to devise an archive for all the stuff.

6. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

If it's older than 18 months, chances are it's irrelevant anyway. If you really want to keep some stories, then do this. Then you can reduce the bulk and keep the important stuff. Organise it by date then, maybe?

I have a file with all my product manuals, and a file with all my order receipts, bank statements, etc. Most boxes get thrown away.
    Do you really need the original box for an RMA? I've never done one. If not, throw them out. Keep the warranty info.

7. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

get a small sheet and place it in on the ground. Clear out the room from the top down. If you want to keep it, it goes on the sheet. Otherwise, it gets tossed/donated/sold/whatever.

Only the items on the sheet are allowed back in the room. That should help you sort out what you really need to keep, and what you're simply hoarding because you've managed to cram it into the corner. Not only are you cleaning out unneeded crap, but now that the room is empty take the opportunity to paint the walls and clean the carpet.

As far as all your bank statements, receipts, and other assorted paperwork, I would recommend a small-to-medium file cabinet. One of those basic ones from Ikea should do the trick. That way, you can keep all of your important paperwork in one convenient place, and you get a bonus shelf on the top - great for a small radio or picture frame!

Keep the important papers for 4 or 5 years, then shred.

-monkey

8. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Have the folks at Cern relocate your belongings to a nearby alternate reality, for maximum convenience.

9. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

It's full of tips, you just have to narrow it down. I searched under organize room and got 73 related articles tips:
    http://lifehacker.com/search/organize room/

Ozstrike mentions one:
    I like boxes for sorting, but found that I tend to have to touch the same thing more than once if I rely too heavily on a to be sorted box. A file cabinet/accordian file/mini hanging file box is good as are those 4 drawer plastic bins, but see above caveat.

Lots of others have given good tips too. It can be hardest to figure out what to let go, but useful in terms of planning your ideal/future space.
    I like the visual modeling. It might be good practice to use sketchup for that. I've used visio to help me plan my move and figure out what furniture I wanted and where.

10. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

just watched your video and thats some pretty drastic stuff.

i wold love to see what it looks like when you come out the other end.

personally i would completely remove anything that is important(keyboard,laptop,computers,speakers,guitar, mixing thingies <dont really know what they are.) and ask you parents if they can be stored somewhere else in the house for week(garage, lounge,attic,another bedroom) < this is important as you really need too get that room empty to hover and wash it, if they dont let you store it elsewhere for a week without a genuine reason i would really question them as a week is not a long time.

ignore the urge to have music on whilst you are doing this it will only distract you

i would put the external cases on your computers as it appears as tho none of yours have them on

remove any wires you have including extension leads and store in a bin bag or two and put somewhere safe

i would then take any sheets you have off the bed and use it as a work surface.

i would start by clearing the floor so you can walk around easily. and hoover after it is clear

any old computer parts put into three catergories
    1.) need
    2.) would like to keep
    3.) dont need

obviously put the need stuff with the important stuff put the dont need in the bot of a car and take down to the skip at some point and as for the rest filter this again but be ruthless.

next i would look at all your paper.
    one thing to remember is that the bank stores all of your statements going back 5 years or so i would throw out any bankstatements you have as you really dont need them.

if you want a new copy go down to your bank and ask for your account details for the past x years, they will be obligated to print them out for you and then at least you will have one tidy pile of a4 paper

as far as your magazines are concerned
    i recently threw away 3 years of Pcformat magazines as i decided that i dont really need to know how powerful a 9800pro is compared to a 5800 ultra besides all the articles i ever need are on bit-tech somewhere. why do you need to keep .net magazines surely the updated frameworks have rendered most of the mags redundant anyway + there are tons of forums and articles/blogs on programming techniques.

next onto other random items like juggling balls, paint cans, face wipes etc no - one will be offended if you throw out old presents

try as best you can to completely empty the room have a bonfire to get rid of your magazines / paper,

remember to wash and clean any surface once you have cleaned it i would use some antibactirial and general all surface cleaner
    now on to the fun bit re arranging.
    first decide (based on how much stuff is still left over from the clearout) what shelving and storage units you will still need, try to keep the more rigid units first those boxes are excellent i have the exact same ones myself and the blue one to the left of you monitor should go as it looks really old and scruffy

decide where you want your new desk to go, you should have a better idea now as you room is empty set that up first then whatever shelving you have decided to keep rearrange into an organised manor dont beafraid to throw out entire shelving units (if your parents wont let you tell them that they can have it then and leave it outside you room)
    next bring things back in to your room start with large/ important things like you speakers and keyboard / mixing thingies , laptop / computers and put them in the most practical place they can be then bring in any paperwork you decided to keep but dont bring anything else in until it is sorted by date / alphabetically and put in a storage box / drawer
    finally bring back in your old comp parts you will find that what ever you bring back in last can probably be thrown out.

if you find your still short of room ask yourself does that really need to take up that much space to everything you own

finally wire everything up again.

and enjoy

few tips to remember
    1.) be ruthless
    2.) hover /clean as you go. if you see a surface that has just been cleared hoover /wipe it down
    3.) you will have arguements with people whilst you are doing this remember that everyone will benefit once you have completed it and quite frankly you cannot continue the way you are going
    4.) if you feel tired at any point just think how nice it will be to listen to your favourate song lying down on you bed when you can actually see the floor!!!
    5.) dont get distracted , the only thing that could possibly go wrong here is if you leave it for a day or two remember you are storing your important stuff / rubbish in other parts of the house you need to get this done as soon as possible
    6.) work yourself to death you will sleep better than you have in years when you are complete
    7.) http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=141151
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1380345&highlight=2009
    read these threads for inspiration
    8.) above all discuss this with your parents before starting let them know it will only take a week and you will never let it get that way again

well that thread wen on longer than i had anticipated but i used to do this once every 3-4 months over the period of 6 years as mum would not let me store any of my crap anywhere in the house other than my room

have fun it will be far more worth it than you realise

ModMinded likes this.
  11. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

You single? Get a girlfriend, you'll sort it in no time!

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

You mean she'll sort it. :p

NOTE: The opinions of the characters on this forum do in now way represent the opinions of Ending Credits and any of their asscociates. And actions or attitudes are purely fictional, created to serve the plot device. Thank you for reading.

13. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

pretty much :p

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I absolutely agree. I collected hardware for years and only just recently threw most of it away. If you don't need it, have never needed it or don't really plan to use it - it has to go.

I'm down to literally half a box of spares now (+ a whole office at work so maybe I'm just kidding myself :D:D)

Stack stuff - if you need to get to it buy shelves, if not, boxes.

15. Mary Jo

Mary Jo oh lolz

I throw out everything. I hate having excess possessions - they just complicate my life.

Other than the standard household furniture, my only possessions are some academic books that I need for constant reference (there's no point keeping novels; instead pass them onto a friend as you probably won't re-read them again and if you do, they can be had from the library whenever you want them), some records (although I'm trying to get all my music in electronic form ASAP to save space), and other miscellaneous items that I use every week. If I find something that I haven't used for a while, it gets binned/given away!

Are you actually going to sit and read a year old .net magazine? They're completely useless - bin the lot. Why do you have more than 1 computer? Bin/sell/freecycle any excess - it's not exactly hard to pick up a piece-of-crap computer should you need one in the future.

Snail mail can be avoided entirely! Get your bank / electricity / gas / telephone suppliers not to send you bills or correspondence - just check it all online and you might even get a discount for doing so.

16. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

I have my own phone line (I pay BT separately) into my room for broadband, hence it is the hub of the network.
    I have more than one computer, as one is a server for the house, which gets tv programmes put on it from the media computer downstairs and also backups from my laptop and dad's computer.
    my laptop is my main computer, and is optimised for DJ'ing.
    The other computer is my old desktop, which is the only one in my room with a powerfull enough GPU to run the 22inch Samsung monitor on the desk arm, so I use it as a computer for watching recorded TV.

I already have paperless billing wherever possible (all of them are paperless methods).
    The snail postal mail I get is promotional leaflets company brochures trying to sell me stuff, and before the economic / financial downturn I got ones offering high-end platinum / gold credit cards.

I'd love to be able to have shelves directly on the walls, but they cannot take any weight.
    any wallplugs that are put in the walls just end up coming out loose. that's why all furniture is based around standing on the floor for support.
    I'd have wall mounted my 22inch Samsung monitor, if the wall would take it. I had to search out a desk arm to mount it on.
    and all the shelving is the type that stands on the floor.

all my music is in digital format (Mp3 192k or better and I only download 320k Mp3 files for DJ'ing)
    I use traktor pro (http://www.native-instruments.com/traktormicrosite/)
    with my Xone:4D mixer (http://www.xone.co.uk/4d)

Oh, and I've never had a girlfriend :(
    Valentines day just reminds me each year how single I am.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2009
  17. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

seriously just spend a week and throw most of the stuff out you will never get a girlfriend if your room is like that, whats more important your parts or your parts?

18. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I been at my minimising and cleaning and man is this work. I have accumulated stuff since before many on this forum were! 12 hrs. and enough stuff piled up already to need a call for pickup.

I hate my own New Year's Resolution already.
    What does a person need with 6 350Watt PSUs, 12 IDE optical drives, enough USB cords to power a data center.

No more packratting!:wallbash::wallbash:

john

19. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Nice one yakyb.
    I finally got around to watching the video... yeah you need to brutally cut some of that stuff out of your life. You have some good shelf space with those free standing units and a few bins.
    I couldn't tell from the video, but you might be able to make use of some of the vertical space higher up in the room (looks like high ceilings) by creating a little storage loft to put things you really can't bear to get rid of, but don't use often.

You might also consider making/getting a bed frame with drawers underneath (captain's beds?)

You do need to do as others said, and have an outside space to clear stuff into temporarily, just to make things easier.

Second the request for pics once done. (slower video pan this time, tho!)

Oh, and don't let yourself get distracted. make a list, choose an area to start with, and don't go off onto side cleaning missions. (my own problem.)

20. weasal

weasal What's a Dremel?

After seeing how you have asked for advice and tips on tidying it has pushed me on to tidy my room. Generally when I'm tidying I'm just putting things wherever i can put them and just making it look tidy but its still a mess in a hidden way.

I'm having a complete tidy now and just going round completing one thing at a time has been the way for me. I started by getting the furniture moved around so i can get all the mess out then threw out definite rubbish then box up everything else.
    Once i got there i started to get everything back to where it all goes and each box i came to i just sorted through what i wanted/needed and what i didn't.

Its a very long process but I'm seeing results already which makes me feel better and the helps me do more.