1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Any tips for a Nexus 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimmyjj, 19 Nov 2012.

1. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Hey,

Just got my Nexus 7 16 GB. My first ever tablet and my first ever Android.

Anyone get any cool tips, app recommendations etc?

Also, it turns out my Nokia N8 will not effectively tether. Anyone got a suggestion for a cheap phone that is good for tethering this tablet?

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

3. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I'm all for rooting and ROM flashes but one of the advantages of the nexus brand is regular prompt OS updates. Look at the apps, poke around a bit in the play store.

I suggest tapatalk for forums, Netflix (if you have a subscription), iPlayer, fing, connect bot, steam, android humble bundle, WiFi analyser, team viewer, Skype, torque (of you have a car with an obd 2 port and an obd2 reader... eBay 15 quid!) Smart TV remote, box/drop box/Google drive, games.

4. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

I'm totally new to Android as well and after an hour and a half I returned my Nexus 7. Too cufusing

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

My SII can act as a wireless hotspot allowing other devices to connect to the internet from it. I've also tethered it through USB on linux and windows but not an android tablet. I believe that tethering 3G can sometimes require a special plan with some providers. So you might want to look into that.

6. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

You're totally new to the OS and you gave it an hour and a half before returning it? It's worth getting to know it; its actually very simple to use.

7. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

I couldn't even figure out the wallpaper. And there's hundreds of apps I would never use. I think tablets are just not anything I actually have a use for.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Touch and hold the desktop, like a right click.

Are you a traveler (train/bus to work?) or ever fancy reading the net or watching movies on the sofa/in bed?

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Nov 2012
  9. MikeMania

MikeMania What's a Dremel?

I'd take a look at Dolphin Browser, Advanced Task Killer, and MoboPlayer.

10. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

get plex for your pc and get the android app as-well, awsome media server, but most of ROOT AND CUSTOM ROM!!!

edit:find the flash player apk and download dolphin or firefox as-well

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You shouldn't need any task killer these days. Just press the multitasking button and swipe left to kill apps. Personally I prefer MXPlayer and Chrome too :p You really don't need to fuss with root and custom ROM-ingl, it's naked Android directly supported by Google.

12. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Personally I find the biggest appeal of the nexus line ups is the huge support for customs roms.

13. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I just love my nexus. Use it mainly for reading ( have all Raymond e Feist books on it ) and use Poweramp to listen to my music on, browsing, tweeting and quick access to my emails.

Interested in rooting it but never tried it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

14. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

As its mentioned above though, i thought the whole point of Nexus was not to put custom ROM's on your tablet/phone because you get the updates straight as they come out? Unlike on branded versions? Suppose there is nothing to stop you, but you will get the lastest and greatest when it comes out that to me is the best thing about Nexus.

15. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Thanks for your responses, very helpful!

16. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Actually it is both.

Most people will enjoy the quick updates from Google, that is until they are provided (like Nexus One not being upgraded to 4.x).

The second group are the tinkerers, who will enjoy the device due it's open nature - drivers are usually provided in their most open form if possible in the AOSP project, unlocking the device for flashing is just one adb command compared to finding holes for rooting, breaking keys etc in case of non-Nexus devices.

For first time Android user, i would suggest keeping yourself away from flashing for time being, while you realize what are your needs.

And then there is the point, when Google will stop providing updates for your Nexus device (probably sometime in 2014/2015), and then flashing and custom ROMs will be your only choice... But that is far, far away for now.

17. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

In my opinion back when android began I'm not sure if the OHA had any real ideas other than taking market share from apple. If you recall the early handsets were quite frankly poor and the software was equally bad android looked to be losing traction and so the nexus one was launched to demonstrate what was possible and to showcase the best android had to offer at the time. In defense of Google they did push out a few releases of the os to the device iirc it stopped on 2.3.6
    Apple do the same thing and stop supporting hardware after few years as do PC manufacturers. Also at the time android was being updated on a crazy ass cycle of what seemed to be every quarter, now annual updates seem to be the norm I would guess the nexus 4 nexus 7 and nexus 10 will see updates up to 2015 which is 3 generations on. To me this would be reasonable (the nexus 1 was 3 generations of OS too) and 3 years is a good life for tech that will probably be upgraded before then.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

Tethering in the Uk at least is not allowed by all Companies you will have to check the nitty gritty of the contract and make sure if its important to you.

As for a phone that can do it any modern smartphone.

SG2/3 Any iphone and most HTC phones.

19. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Music wise I only use poweramp. For some skins for it today as well

20. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Ooos forgot to add championship manager 2012 is brilliant on it as well