1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any 'vapers' out there?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sentinel-R1, 13 May 2013.

1. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

Grey haze

Never ever order from them.

Ordered a lavabox + tfv4 almost a month ago, package never arrived. (paid extra for recorded tracked delivery, shows it never left grey haze) They won't refund me the full amount - stolen £30 off me.

2. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Just ordered a Uwell Crown, Mutation V4 and a coil master v2 kit.

What mod's do you guys recommend? I've had numerous cheap boxes up to 60w and a handful of mechanicals, but I'd like something 100w+ and TC. I've been looking at the Tesla Nano. Anyone used/got one?

3. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

[​IMG]

Treebox with SS temp control, lost fog neon cream. Awesome.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

4. thom804

thom804 Member

That mod is purdy!

As an aside, my 8bit order arrived and i've had a chance to try Purple and Super Space Pirate so far in 12mg.

Both flavours are absolutely delicious, even with only a blast steep to get them ready for use. Highly recommended!

Last edited: 20 Dec 2015
  5. thom804

thom804 Member

Right, I've got a question about RDAs.

What is the point?
    If there are a list of pro's somewhere, feel free to post them up, because to me it just seems like an unnecessary hassle to have to carry about your liquid separately and fill up each time you want to vape.
    Add on the fact that you need to vape the contents of what you put in unless you (seemingly) want everything to leak out over your clothes unless the whole unit is kept upright.

I want to explore the options, but at the moment, it just seems like the RDA is a right PITA.

6. Shirty

Shirty Time travelling rogue Super Moderator

Flavour and vapour production, ease of maintenance. I use both but favour drippers quite a bit.

Good RDAs generally have excellent airflow adjustment too.

7. thom804

thom804 Member

Could you expand on the first sentence?
    Maintenance, I don't see it getting much easier than what I've already got.

And how does an RDA produce more vapour and flavour if it's using the same principle as a tank RBA? Unless I'm missing something obvious, of course.

8. Shirty

In a nutshell, there is nothing in the way of getting the liquid vapourised and into your lungs. I don't know the science, but try it and you'll see what I mean straight away. The other thing I forgot about is that there are very few tanks that can deal with really viscous 100% VG liquid, whereas drippers don't have to work hard to wick even the thickest fluid.

Photo time!

What I'm currently using is a Wotofo Lush RDA on a SMPL mechanical mod:
    [​IMG]

To refill I just pop the top off and drip about a dozen times into the juice-well:
    [​IMG]

The option to build with dual coils using any gauge wire I want to, in whatever format I want to, and wick it however I want to is a winner for me:
    [​IMG]

The juice well on this particular model is nice and deep too, so I can get multiple huge pulls before I need to re-wet:
    [​IMG]

The lush has angled adjustable air-holes, which create a vortex inside the chamber to swirl and slightly cool the vapour:
    [​IMG]

Obligatory "firing at my desk" shot:
    [​IMG]

There are so many different designs out there, a lot of it is about playing around and seeing what suits you. I like an airy draw so I'm always going to be biased toward RDAs (though there are plenty of RTAs with excellent airflow too). But there are also much tighter RDAs for pure flavour chasing too.

I'd say grab one and have a fiddle with it. You will need to familiarise yourself with coil wrapping and wicking techniques immediately but it'll be worth it for the results. It takes me about 5 minutes to make new coils, and completely restore my RDAs to an "as new" state, and I'm not limited to a specific type of coil or resistance other than by whatever power source I'm using.

:)

9. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  10. thom804

thom804 Member

Well, I think those points have made my decision to stick with a tank far easier.

As an ex-smoker, the tighter draw is what I aim for. I've covered over one of the holes of my subtank to make the draw pretty much dead on tight-ish rollie.
    I also seriously dislike the idea of straight to lung inhalation. There's something about keeping the drag in your mouth for a half a second before inhaling it down.
    I used to 'butterfly' smoke when I was a LOT younger, when my friends and I all though Players Navy Cut ciggies were the test of a real man. And those things just burnt your lungs to pieces!

Add to the fact that I don't really want to have to be taking the top off my e-cig each time I want to vape. I like the fact that one tank lasts me a day or more.

I was looking for some pro's to using an RDA, but for me, there are none. Thanks for the info though guys. If I have a change of heart, i'll be sure to let you know how I get on.

11. [PUNK] crompers

As someone who likes a restricted lung draw I like both tanks and drippers, and I have to say the device which gives me the best experience is the goblin mini tank, I like my drippers but none of them deliver the warm flavour of the mini for me.

Thing is with vaping you really have to try things to figure out what works for you, unfortunately this can get expensive but one piece of advice I would give is to spend more on attys than mods to start with, they affect the experience more.

12. thom804

thom804 Member

Mods, I don't overly see the point in going higher or lower when it comes to wattage. My coil is at 0.5 ohms and power is at 28w and it gives me a perfectly good draw. I see a lot of 100w+ mods released and I wonder what the point is. Is it to produce massive clouds of vapour? In my mind, that's just a method of pissing off the people around you. I like that I can vape indoors, at gigs, most pubs etc People who just want to show off with big clouds of vapour are the ones who are going to get us all kicked out into the cold again with 'The Pariahs'.

I'll have a look into more air restrictive RDA's, all the talk of better airflow just puts me off them completely.

13. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

It's more about versatility for me. If I'm at home, experimenting with some home-brewed, I have the option of anything from 7w up to 150w or 100-300 degrees C. If I want to see what vapour production it makes I'll use a dripper running claptons. If I want some warm flavour I'll close the airflow up on a tank and bring the power down. My main mod lasts me two days of moderate to heavy use and does everything I could ever need.

However, just as I advised a friend last night, unless you see yourself going down the route of this being a hobby, just stick to what keeps you off cigarettes. Otherwise it's a slippery slope towards bankruptcy.

14. Shirty

Variety is the spice of life :)

One big advantage drippers have which I didn't mention but Fishlock just reminded me of is the ease of changing flavours quickly. Top off, cotton out, dry burn the wicks to clean them, cotton in. Quick and painless.

Tanks are cool too though... it's all good.

15. thom804

thom804 Member

Wait, is that all you do with your wicks? Hit the button and burn off the excess liquid? I've been changing them each time I change flavour.

16. [PUNK] crompers

He means burn off the coils after removing the wicks

17. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  18. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Well-Known Member

I don't even do that.
    I'll change flavours every other day and just run em though one after t'other and then swap out coils & wick once a week

19. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

I have one of those little blow torch things and quickly blast the coil, although as you say I doubt that's even necessary.

Just got delivered the eight pack of samples from NovaVapes. Look forward to trying them. Oh and some pre-made fused clapton wire, 'cos building it is grief and it was like £2.

20. thom804

thom804 Member

A small review update after ordering some Kanthal, some more liquid 'found it's way' into my shopping basket...
    One of which being :
    The Steam Co. - Moment 37:Ummm, for being classed and priced as a premium liquid, this stuff sure tastes cheap. The aroma from the liquid itself is lovely! Chocolate, Licorice, Vanilla. All heady scents, but it does not translate when it's vaporised. The flavours mostly disappear and are replaced by some weird, indescribable flavour. It's not a bad flavour per sé. It's just not great, nowhere near as good as the other premium flavours I've tried.

Disappointing.

As for making coils, how many turns are you guys using with your builds? The pre-built coils I got with my subox had 5 turns. Is that a general magic number to use? The first ones the I made up, I didn't even think about the number of turns, and the one I've got installed just now is sitting at 1.3 ohms... 28awg by the way.