1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any 'vapers' out there?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sentinel-R1, 13 May 2013.

1. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Any voltage coming out of it at all?
    Can it read there's an atty attached on the display?

A box mod would work but are usually 18650 cells. Another VAMO, an SVD or similar would work.
    Or if you're feeling a bit flush go for a P3 (they're lovely)

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It's the connection between the coil bottom and battery that's flaky. Basically I have an early model V5 (with the screw thing not the sprung flat one) and I think it's screwed because of that. Apparently this model Vamo usually fails so I'm amazed it lasted this long ! Mrs VT has the next revision on with the sprung disc instead of the screw. Mind you, she has this problem at times too.

I know they have rectified it, and tbh @ £20 or so for the body it has served me well (14? months, something like that). The size is irritating at times though, that's why I'm always dropping it (it has a habit of sliding out of your pocket when you sit down).

I just don't want to go through liquid any faster than I already do. Next month I am dropping from 18mg to the next one down (12 IIRC) too. I want to get to the point where I can pack it in, if legislation in May makes it too expensive or simply rubbish.

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

14 months is good for a sub-£20 device.
    I replaced my vamo's & SVD's with a P3 because of the size difference. With an 18350 in it the P3 is tiny. But it's a much more expensive device.

Depending on your wattage needs I'd look at getting another vamo type device as if you're looking to quit vaping as well there's no point spending that much on a mod

4. Vault-Tec

What is this P3 thing you speak of? can you link me to somewhere that sells it?

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

6. Vault-Tec

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Cheap and easy solution would be the Eleaf iStick 30w in the colour of your choosing. It's pretty pocketable too.

Just for fun, I bought my wife an iStick 10w to fire her little tank, and here it is next to the 100w, with the 18650s revealed to show how tiny the mini really is!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Feb 2016
  8. Vault-Tec

I'm currently looking at a couple of clones on Ebay. One is a Stingray X and the other a Panzer. Both take 18350 batteries but neither seem to have any voltage control.

Am I missing something? or is there something additional required to change the voltage?

I spent about £40 on good 18350 cells and a charger (Ultrafire) so I am loathe to just drop that in the bin and change to something that uses different cells tbh.

9. Shirty

Those are mechanical mods, so will simply output 3.7v and tail off as the charge drains. Great if you use lower resistance coils, but fairly ineffective on high-resistance stuff. You'll want a regulated mod, which are almost exclusively box shaped these days.

Interesting reading.

10. Vault-Tec

Thanks fella, that makes more sense now !

Well I just had a look on Youtube and apparently the Stingray X clone is every bit as good as the real thing.

I'm assuming that it takes only one 18350 battery if it outputs 3.7v so just to test I dropped the voltage on my Vamo from 4v to 3.7v (2 ohm coil IIRC) and it outputted more than enough vape.

Doubt the single battery will last as long as two running @ 4v, but they're small enough to carry :)

Edit. Managed to buy the mod for £5 plus £3.30 shipping. Couple of pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

They'll output 4.2v and tail off... A fully charged 18xxx cell comes off the charger at 4.2v

I used to use mech mods exclusively, now just for old skool drippers BUT you can get a little device called the Evolv Kick or the Kick 2, which sits between the cell and the top cap on a mech mod and regulates power to whatever you set it to. This gives you the nice look and feel of a mech with a bit of the control of a regulated mod, albeit up to 15W max, which is ideal for high resistance stuff - and far from ineffective as you claimed. For 1ohm or less, then ditch the Kick and vape unregulated, just need to work out a bit of ohms law and make sure you have a decent cell.

There are many ways to vape a cat... :thumb:

12. Shirty

For about 3 to 5 puffs, they will indeed be somewhere between 4.2 and 3.7v :hehe:

But then my coils rarely exceed 0.3Ω

I use a mix of regulated and mech, they all have their appeals and foibles.

13. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Hahaha. Yup! That's one of the trade-offs with mechs though isn't it. 18350 mechs look sweet, are pocket rockets for about an hour and then you're changing the battery. 18650 cells are great but then you end up with a torpedo tube, especially with a Kick mod in the mix.

If I was going back to running a full time unregulated pocket mod, I'd probably look at 26500 with a dripper to match as those cells have enough clout and are sufficiently large enough capacity to last a worthwhile amount of time...

Like this 26500 Asmodus Fat Snow Wolf kit: http://www.asmodus.com/product-p/26500fatsnow-asmodusattyset.htm

And there's something pretty sexy about mech mods... especially in nicely tarnished/aged brass..

Last edited: 23 Feb 2016
  14. Vault-Tec

Well in the end I settled for the Stingray mod. I will use 18350s and I have four so plenty (plus two are extra long MAH, not that it ever seemed to make a difference !). I also ordered a new tank because I have had this one for knocking on two years and am fed up with it. Things have changed, though, and they no longer use single coils so I am going to use up all of the ones I have, then switch to the new tank (an EMOW).

[​IMG]

I ordered one in black, then got some yellow drip tips to match the gold on the body.

[​IMG]

And ten 1.8 ohm coils. I've tried lower but they just burnt my throat.

[​IMG]

Then I realised the battery was screw in only so I had to order an adapter for it.

[​IMG]

IIRC the Emow was £13, coils £12.95 for 10 and the tips and adapter were £2.50 each. So all in about £40 but obviously the coils make up a large part of that.

I will probably get another Vamo in time any way for when I go out. In all fairness with a pair of 18350 in it it lasts at least two days for me.

15. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  16. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Can someone explain to me why my device is more powerful and less powerful with more and less battery?

I don’t understand why that if my device is set to 40.0watts and 340’f why the output power should change doesn’t that kinda make the whole temperature setting features basically useless? shouldn't it always be the same (set by the settings)

Also anyone want to post their juice making setups here?!

17. Vault-Tec

Yeah that pretty much sounds about the same as the old EVO batteries I used to use (short ones).

Thinking about it logically a 18350 has about the same internal volume as one of those too.

I'll be more than happy if I get a day out of one battery tbh :)

18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  19. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Thanks that's made things clearer!

20. Vault-Tec

Seems I didn't read enough of the description and just assumed the Scorpion X clone I bought was a "Always on always all" mod. Then I read this.

The bottom cap has a magnetic switch with adjustable firing, which provides a longer lasting button switch and finer battery setting increments.

So it sounds like the more you press the button the more vape you get. I know that the button is in the bottom but didn't know they were incremental.