1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any 'vapers' out there?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sentinel-R1, 13 May 2013.

1. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

^ exactly this. Unless you have the above in place, steer well clear.

2. Ljs

Ljs Modder

After a bit of advice.

I recently started vaping again using my old setup of an eleaf 30w and Subtank Nano. It worked great, and then I lost it when I was out drinking. :(

I'd like similar again (I would actually by the same setup) but my only hesitation is the amount of vapour it produced on exhale - I really liked the hit (it helped keep my of the cigarettes) but I felt like an utter tw*t doing it in public.

Any recommendations?

3. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

you could use a liquid that's made from a high PG base, propylene glycol has stronger "throat hit" and produces less dense vapour compared to VG.

i'm not sure if there are any liquids you could buy in your brick and mortar (usually they come between VG 50:50 PG up to VG 70:30 PG) but some sites will let you choose your preferred VG - PG ratio, on the top of my head Joose Juice is one of them (apple pie & all their menthol/minty flavours are nice)

alternatively you could buy higher strength liquid, you won't need to inhale as much due to higher nicotine content and you won't look like a steam engine.

Ljs likes this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Da Fuq. I am pretty annoyed right now !! Took me ages to figure out too.

So a couple of months back I ordered some "posh" vaping liquid in large bottles (120ml, but 100ml of juice, then you add nicotine). Any way, I vaped through an entire bottle of "Marshmallow Man III" by Marina Vape and liked it so much I ordered "Choco Donuts" too. However, after vaping it for about a week I thought there was something wrong with my cig. It was going through coils within about three hours. I am not a heavy vaper, and usually I can get a week out of a coil before it starts acting up but I went through a whole pack of single coils in one week. So I switched out my atomiser for a dual coil one. The coils for this are about £8 for 5, so not cheap ! I put in the first one, ahh bliss. It tasted lovely. By the end of the day one of the coils had died. So I switched it out, same thing happened only even quicker. Now I am beginning to notice a pattern. Then I read the label and under the ingredients it listed "Water".

WTF? £20 for a bottle of liquid with water in it? no wonder my fluffing coils keep burning out and batteries last about two minutes !

So I switched back to Puppie Slush (the dog's gonads) and sure enough no coil problems at all. I won't be ordering anything from Marina Vape again ! I also wondered why every time I vaped my nose started to run profusely and I got spots up my nose (very painful). Was bloody water vapour FFS.

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Slow your roll man, water is a perfectly acceptable dilutant, I use it in all my mixes @ 10% with no bother at all.

6. Vault-Tec

Any idea why it is eating coils? it tastes bloody lovely. Like a fresh cooked greasy donut with chocolate on. It just eats through coils and I have over half the bottle left :(

7. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

My guess is that your 'choco-donut' is a pretty dark liquid.

Generally speaking, the darker a liquid is the quicker it is going to kill your coil.

Think of it like drinking a strong, dark rum compared to a clean Grey Goose vodka. Sure, the dark rum is bloody lovely, but the aftermath is painful.

A local shop to me is the Creator of Mrs.Baker liquid, some of the sweetest, most delicious liquid I have ever had (I've had hundreds of flavours over the years). Unfortunately I will go through a coil in less than a week with it. If I'm on a mixed fruit type liquid that is clear, or slightly yellow, I can sometimes get over a month on a single coil.

And just to reaffirm Mrlongbeard, water is indeed an often used dilutant that if used in small doses should not affect the experience.

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Water is a pretty common diluting agent yeah.

Which coils/atomiser are you using, and what's the PG/VG ratio on the offending juice?

It could just be a really thick juice that doesn't wick well in your coils. I really really like Snake Oil but every time I try to vape it in a clearomiser it destroys coil heads fast - I can't vape it on anything other than a dripper.

9. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

All these issues people have with ejuice killing coilheads is easily resolved by building your own coils in an RTA or RDTA. The darker, sweeter liquids will still gunk up your home-made coils but you can pull the cotton, rinse and dry burn your coil and rewick again.

I get the convenience of coilheads but you really can't compare the vape quality when compared to building your own with QUALITY wick and wire.

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I’ve been vaping for years and I’ve seen all sorts of atomiser types/designs come and go: from the early “fake ciggies” to cartomisers, clearomisers, RDAs, RTAs, squonkers, sub-ohm, etc, and everything in between . Rebuildables do offer the best flavour but the convenience of putting a new coil head in now and then far outweighs the fiddly process of building/rebuilding coils and wicks. Yes, I know it's much easier now than it used to be (I used to rebuild Kanger Protank coils ~3/4 ago, so I've done plenty of really fiddly coil builds) but it's still nowhere near as easy and convenient as putting in a new coil head. My current tank produces flavour as well as any rebuildable I’ve ever used and many modern sub-ohm tanks can do the same.

I will use an RDA/RTA for thick sticky juices that burn out coil heads, like I said earlier, but my daily driver is still my Smok Big Baby.

Over the last few years I've slowly been reaching the conclusion that I simply don’t have the patience I once did.

11. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

Those are the coils I am using atm. Dual coil, big things look like tampons. They either taste like burnt wood or simply pop. Within like a day.

I do have quite a few sub ohm coils though for a Coolfire (forget the name of the tank now) but yeah could use those I suppose and just burn through them lol.

12. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

It's unusual that Andy's burning out coilheads from a juice that's less viscous, regardless of sugar content. It's normally thicker liquids that then struggle to wick with certain coilheads that causes burning and dry hits. More watery juices should be absolutely fine.

If it's the viscosity that's the issue, add a few drops of PG to thin it down or a few of VG to thicken. Providing you're not altering the ratio too much, you shouldn't alter the flavour profile.

13. Vault-Tec

I don't recall it being particularly thick tbh. Will be home in a couple of hours will look at it then :)

14. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Anyone tried the VandyVape mesh RDA? Its such an easy build and the surface area give amazing flavour. Been using one for about a month and i love it ... takes 2 minutes to build, that said its my first RDA. I know the sweet sugary juices gunk up coil heads big time and as Sentinel said you need to burn the coils off to clean them.

15. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Yep and once you burn them off, if you get a small wire brush and clean off the powdery residue from cleaning, they'll often go longer between cleans the second time around for some reason, albeit with a slightly reduced flavour when compared to a new coil - but not a notable amount.

16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Maths check please.
    The TPD has caught up with me and my preferred premium juice is now only available in 0mg.
    So to make it up to 10mg using 72mg nic & starting with 50ml of 0mg juice I need to add 7.9ml of 72mg nic?

17. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Sounds close but I'm going based on old calculations from memory. My most requested was 3mg which is 1.2ml for 30ml if i remember correctly so 3.6ml for 9mg therefore 4ml for 10 at 30ml. Double it you get 8ml for 10mg at 60ml. so 7.9 for 57.9 sounds about right.

mrlongbeard likes this.
  18. Vault-Tec

OK well I fixed the problem in the end. I simply switched back to single coils and dramatically lowered the voltage and wattage. It took me about two days to finally nail it, but now I get a nice vape and the coils last at least a few days which is good considering they are only about 60p each. I finished my Choco Donuts, then switched to some Vape Avenue (new company, £9.99 for 100ml) and whilst the two I have used are nice (neon sludge AKA lime and Sour Apple AKA Jolly Rancher) they are not a patch on the Marine Vape stuff. So I ordered another bottle of Marshmallow man III and set up two cigs. My Coolfire IV plus and I bought a Totally Wicked battery locally for a tenner. Both charge via mUSB which is easier than having to keep removing batteries and so far I have managed to totally avoid the dreaded vaper's tongue. One is sharp and sour (lime) and then the marshmallow man is sweet and lovely. So it's nice alternating between two :)

IIRC you need 25ml of 72mg into 100ml to make 24mg or there abouts. I lowered that to 20, because I only have a 20ml syringe and doing multiple suck/push is very messy. So I would say you need 8-10ml or so to make 7.9ish. So I would go 10. Not like you will die or anything, and you can do it with a single syringe.

19. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Yep, maths is good. 8ml of 72mg into 50ml of zero nic will give you 58ml of 10mg

mrlongbeard likes this.
  20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Thanks all.
    It's not my maths your checking, I are far too lazy after a week off, but you confirmed this https://indejuice.com/nicotine/ which comes in handy every once in a blue moon