1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Any vista beta testers here?

Discussion in 'Software' started by allforcarrie, 28 Jul 2005.

1. Springs

Springs Boing boing

does the beta work with all current hardware? i no someone that has it and they say it wont detect the sound card (sound blaster live 5.1)

2. csTYCOON

csTYCOON What's a Dremel?

Heheh I wish! I love messing around with new software, when I first got winXP I was amazed.

3. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

LOL then half of the people would be using Vista Beta as their main OS [between I am using Vista as Main for few days cause messed up my XP install]

So here we go... Nvidia and Ati video cards should not have problems, as beta drivers were released for Vista. Soundblaster sound has a lot of problems but I've seen drivers that "should" work. Nforce drivers were supposed to work, but most people including me find them unusable. Few times I managed to get them working but then after restart svchost.exe service connected to sound devices would go crazy and eat up 100% CPU, so I would terminate it and use Vista without sound (as I'm doing now). Also older nforce ethernet driver don't work, but there are few drivers that work no problem. Sorry I have no links as I'm too lazy to Google around.

So if you don't mind 500megs being eaten just by your OS then go ahead and try Vista, it's not that bad actually. I had a deadline for Newspaper Ad and a newsletter, and no time to reinstall XP, so I installed Creative Suite on Vista and used Photoshop/InDesign to do my work. Few crashes here and there... but it's alright.

4. alcedes

alcedes What's a Dremel?

I ran Windows 2000 and Windows XP whenthey were betas and they ran just fine with my WHQL certified hardware. Hardware that was not WHQL certified was sometimes not supported with the upgrades (like a hardware mpeg decompression card I had).

Vista works fine with the hardware I've got now. nVidia 5200 series video card, Soundblaster Live Platinum eX 6.1 card, and some other plain vanilla hardware (ethernet, extra USB card, and SATA card). That ATI USB 1.1 TV tunerI have doesn't work with Vista, but it's been around forever so I've got my money's worth from it.

5. Isotopian

Isotopian What's a Dremel?

Haha, well they're also supposed to work for XP too, and see where that's gotten us. :hehe:

Tags: