1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anybody here like blues?

Discussion in 'General' started by bloodcar, 6 Oct 2003.

1. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

as the topic goes.
    actually, i don't know anybody IRL that likes blues (or jazz for that matter) except for me. my three favorites are B.B. King (who doesn't like the King???), some Blues Brothers, and Elmore James (Every day I have the blues rings too true sometimes). anyways, if you like blues, list your favorites. i'm trying to sample more artists, but the local music stores don't have that big of a collection.

if you're into jazz, i'd suggest some Mel Torme (It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing, Pennies from Heaven, Puttin' On the Ritz) and Cab Callaway.

2. penski

penski BodMod

Hell, yeah - more Jazz than Blues but sometimes you just need to hear a soulful guy with a guitar and harp.

Jazzwise, check out Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius and Thelonius Monk.

*n

3. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

i'll try those out, thanks.
    my jazz collections consists mostly of the two mentioned above and some Ella Fitzgerald, Squirral Nut Zippers (more swing then jazz, but they're still good), Andrew Sisters, Billie Holiday, and how can i not have Bing Crosby.

it seems that when i bring out the jazz and/or blues, people tend to have negative reactions. but man, there's nothing like a soothing sax solo when you're down.

4. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

I don't mind a bit of 60's & 70's motown, if you like that too watch the film 'Standing in the shadow of motown' which tells the story of the funk brothers.
    Also who doesn't like the orignal 'Blues Brother' movie?

5. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

like some of the Blues Brothers stuff.. if they count

6. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

as for blues, im more into the harder, faster, almost rock blues. like Stevie Ray Vaughn type stuff.

jazz: im little wierd. favorites are Weather Report, Thelonius Monk, Wes Montgomery, Bela Fleck ( must be w/ the Flecktones though ... his solo stuff is just plain old bluegrass.) just about any swing as long as its not cheesey, wierd stuff like SNZ & combustible edison.

i also like the classics too .. parker, davis, getz (a distant relative actually), coltrane, you name it .. powerful horns make the world go round.

personally i believe all this "lite" jazz crap should be re-labeled either elevator or "gettin-some" muzak. music it is not. kenny g must die!

7. penski

penski BodMod

Weather Report were great.

*n

8. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

yeah, weather report, maceo parker, sidney bechet,maynard ferguson, fats waller, duke ellington.

anyone really ;)

as long as its quite quick, im not a fan of some of the slower stuff

9. penski

penski BodMod

Victor Wooten :)

*n

10. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

It should be the law that everyone should own at least three John Coltrane cds :) I'm also into Keith Jarrett, Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, Miles (fusion stuff is the best), Esbjorn Svennson, Charlie Mingus, Monk, Parker, Herbie Mann, Hubert Laws, Ornette Coleman, Jan Garbarek, Herbie Hancock, Art Blakey, Brad Mehldau, Pharoah Saunders and quite a lot of other random stuff. Pretty much anything on the Blue Note, Impulse!, and Verve labels...

Can't say I'm into "the blues" much-I'm not all that keen on Jazz vocalists and the kind of "rocky" electric blues you get is generally awful- 20 minute guitar shredding solos at the 22nd fret are just not where its at for me :)

Ooh, anyone interested in contemporary jazz could do worse than to check out Caber Music- they are a scottish based label that have a lot of great stuff- people like Trio AAB, Mario Caribe, and Brian Kellock are doing some really great stuff.

Anyway, thats enough from me!

Cheers

Sam

11. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

I love the sound of blues and such, the only person I really know well is B.B. King. ;) Its hard finding a good station out here for blues, and such. It is good though.

12. No Tact

No Tact means No Account

Robert Cray
    Jeff Beck
    Jeff Healey
    Neal Schone
    Buddy Guy
    Etta James
    Eric Clapton
    Sam Cooke
    Bo Diddley
    Muddy Waters
    John Lee Hooker
    Robert Johnson
    Lead Belly
    Taj Mahal
    Blind Willie McTell
    Gary Moore
    Charlie Musselwhite
    Kenny Wayne Shepherd
    Johnny Lang
    Sonny Boy Williamson
    Johnny Winter
    Howlin' Wolf

I have seen a few of these live. All good. All blues.

Jazz? Rarely too many horns for me.

BTW: Saturdays on NPR radio is blues for most of the day. Excellent listening.