1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone doing a physics PHD at cambridge?

Discussion in 'General' started by phaSe, 24 Nov 2003.

1. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Im thinking Cheese does, but im not sure.

Anyways, I was just wondering how you're finding it? How hard was it to get onto? Number of people doing one? etc

Im in my 3rd year of a 4 year physics Msci at Imperial (althought im spending this year out in Germany) and am really thinking of doing a phd afterwards, in particular at Cambridge. Im not really sure what area yet, although so far ive found Polymer semiconductors, Spintronics and solid statey stuff pretty interesting.

Sorry its such a broad question, im just hoping for a bit of useful feed back really!

please feel free to email me: needsahaircut (at) hotmail.com

Thanks in advance,

RoB

2. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

Can't really help with the phd side, but if you'd like to know more about the town or colleges let me know. I'm currently in my second year reading compsci at Clare.

Alaric.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Jeees some people are too clever. That another 3 years!! You better like what you're gonna be doing that's all ill say. Tis not for me, i think ill crash out after doing my MSc tbh.

4. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Yep I'm doing a Ph.D. at Cambridge, I'm in the semiconductor physics group but most of my work is really quantum optics... just so happens it's a bit of semiconductor that I shine my laser at ;)

I wouldn't worry about a picking a particular group just yet, spintronics could put you in semiconductors, opto electronics, microelectronics, or probably even polymer and colloids - there's a lot of overlap between the areas. Just come for an open day, talk to as many people as possible, find a group you like and badger 'em until they give you funding :)

Cambridge is really nice, seems to be a lot less formal than most over its Ph.D.'s (you have to go to some lectures in the first year but bar that there's little compulsory teaching). I'm certainly enjoying myself here, but my project is a little different to most as it's CASE with Toshiba. If you get a chance when you're visiting the SP group come and visit Toshiba (Dave Ritchie or Mike Pepper from SP will probably offer you a tour, Stuart Holmes is the guy to talk to at Toshiba about spintronics). Will happily supply you with email addresses and phone numbers etc. if you like, certainly wouldn't do you any harm to email/phone Stuart before visiting.

I'm sure you'll like it in Cambridge,

Rob.

5. OrbDemon

OrbDemon Minimodder

This actually sounds pretty interesting!

I was tempted to do a phd, but thought it was putting off the inevitable - so I become unemployed instead!

As for Imperial - grr - they messed me about when I applied for my degree there big time! (admittedly I did sorta screw up my maths a-level)

BTW Chese, do you know a guy called RR?

Last edited: 30 Nov 2003
  6. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

thanks for the replies!

Alaric and Cheese: Ive been to Cambridge quite a bit, my gf is there, so i know its a nice place! :D
    As Im in Germany at the moment, i wont be able to visit Cambridge for quite a while, maybe feb time, but if you could mail me those e-mails (see first post) for when i can pop over that would be great! Im still in my 3rd year (of four) so its not too pressing yet, but i would like to visit and talk to people as much as possible.
    Im really not too sure about any groups yet either, ive still got lots of UG stuff to learn about :lol:

Orbdemon - yeah its a bit off putting off the real world, but i really like physics (yeah im cool! :lol:) so it seems like a pretty good idea! Imperial seems OK, a bit pendantic about forms sometimes but waaaaay less so than German Unis!

Thanks again everyone,

RoB

7. OrbDemon

OrbDemon Minimodder

A couple of my mates are doing phds at Imperial. All I remember is some ginger haired doc called Mark Currie i think - like the bloke off blue peter.

Soz, now i'm talking shiznit and hi-jacking. I apologise.