1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Anyone else excited about this? (Game of Thrones)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pookeyhead, 18 Jun 2010.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

But they can't take the iron throne by staying there. They need to go to Kings landing

Last edited: 2 May 2019
  2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

True, I forgot the bodies wont exactly rot in the norf. Yeah remove the bodies from in Winterfell, melt the remains of the night king or just bottle him so he wont re form himself. The mountain of dead would certainly ruin morale after the march as you said. Maybe leave a dead dragon there too.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

There's probably enough bodies to write "Piss off" fifty feet high on a hill too. As much as I'm rooting for Ice Darth Maul I don't think we'll see him back before the end. Unless it's some lame curse that wheels becomes the Ice Darth Maul because of that scene of those messed up kids stabbing some dude to make the first one.

4. legoman

To be fair that scenario is entirely possible, though currently hes in his 70's Vietnam wheelchair bound drug abusing veteran stage, I am waiting for him to say "I want that one".
    I can't help but think the Iron fleet is going to turn on Cersei when they sail back to their home port an realise its been taken over. That or they stashed the Elephants there an will open a Circus.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I've been waiting for that bloke whose surname I can never spell Pilou Asbaek to change his mind and just go home to the island and get beaten to death by his sister. Or bang her. He doesn't seem the type to be fussed by blood relations

6. legoman

Odds on he will try an she will kill him to death then go sailing to Winterfell (as one does across land) only to find Theon got wood saving Bran the Barmy from Darth Iceman Maul. Then join in the kill Cersei band wagon as the rest of them would be in some dire need of additional troops

liratheal likes this.
  7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Ok, so a lot of people freaking out about the
    Starbucks cup that can be seen on the table in the Winterfell feast scene

but I saw a comment online which was far more entertaining:

People are mad because Euron uses aimbot and wallhack and nobody reports him
    :D

8. legoman

Didn't see that just googled it, wow the amount of crap about it already, is it up there with LOTR transit?

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Well... I thought Episode 5 was amazing. There appear to be some dissenters, which is to be expected. Any takers?

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ignoring the whole "hey, this massively destructive dragon would have been really bloody useful during pretty much any other battle up to and including the one against Albino Darth Maul" issue, what the hell is going on with dragonfire? They build it up as melting stone (see... whatever that place the mined the dragonglass from was called. Dragonsreach? Whatever.), then every time we've seen it used it feels like a beefed-up weed burner. Now, though, the instant it touches a building, the building ASPLODES INTO TINY PIECES. (X) DOUBT.

11. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Half the cast:

Personally I feel everything apart from the writing is excellent. The writing, however, has taken a nosedive since they deviated from the books. I'm guessing this is to do with the strategies employed in TV writing, where episodes are divided up between writers with only a bullet-pointed framework for guidance. It lacks the coherence of the book-inspired seasons, which were character-driven, not plot-driven. What's so frustrating is that it's as easy to see what they're going for as it is to see how they failed.

Aside - Rian Johnston, who cut his teeth in TV, drove The Last Jedi with plot, rather than character, too. I just don't think TV writing approach is compatible with epic storytelling.

12. legoman

The fire seemed weaker not vaporising things as they did before. Jamie & Cersei squashing was meh was hoping he would poke her with a metal sword. Hound an Bro, very hound way to die basically saying F you.
    The rest where wholly expected but Dani going postal was a little surprising but not unexpected. The dragons limitless fire though was, thinking logically its going to have a fuel of some sort an that fuel isn't infinite.

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

All valid points, which is why we have...
    Suspended disbelief. IMHO, too many GoT fans are over-analysing the show rather than just watching it and enjoying it for what it is. Dragons are magical creatures, so maybe the fire they breathe is magical too. And maybe Daenerys needed to be pushed to the absolute limit of her sainty before Drogon's full potential/power could be unleashed (this is a common device in superhero/villain narratives). Just sayin'.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  14. VipersGratitude

What annoyed me more was the violation of Newton's 3rd law. Surely if the fire had enough kinetic force to go through metres and metres of stone wall Drogon would have Dracarys'd himself to the moon.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Frankly, I suspended my interest about...
    I dunno, shortly after Bottlejob goes into that Tardis-like building in the desert? I quite liked that episode, and I can't think of many after that I can even remember much less enjoyed. It's weird, 'cos on the surface GoT should be right up my street, but it just bores me.

16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, I'm a dissenter.

It was a hugely spectacular episode, but also the weakest in quite a while. It also felt very rushed in places.

Dany pointed Drogon at a small portion of the Iron Fleet last episode and had to peel off. This time the WHOLE ****ING FLEET sees her coming a mile away and she prevails? The Scorpions can turn and pivot, yet not one of them on the city walls is turned to track and fire at Drogon? Did she deploy the Quad Damage power-up or give Drogon a Scooby snack, or something?

Then, over the loss of Missandei and being pissed off at Jon, Tyrion, Varys and Sansa, the massively compassionate Dany suddenly turns into the Mad Queen (tm) and doesn't make a bee-line for the Red Keep, but instead just wheels around the city burning innocents?!?

After Ep3, I did say I couldn't imagine how this will come to a satisfying conclusion, with the early defeat of the White Walkers, and now all we've got left is who gets to kill Dany to put Jon on the throne?

17. legoman

That works, can always hire him after as a mobile BBQ system.

Oh also what the hell was all the dragons fire (green flames) popping off in the city. Do they just store it randomly in the city like land mines?
    Dani going full postal makes sense, Job's reaction trying to stop it makes sense either way the extras budget is being thoroughly rinsed.

18. Gareth Halfacree

I've got a different theory:

One-Half of Robson & Jerome kills everyone - or they all kill each other, whatever - walks through the ashes and sits on the iron throne before making some quip about "well, you c-words f-worded that up, didn't you?"

Think about it: his entire character arc has basically been one upgrade after another. He's a random sellsword, then he saves Dwarf Victor Meldrew and gets upgraded to personal protector with a wage to match. Then he fights in the Battle of Why Do These Always Happen At Night and gets a country pile and trophy wife. He's not happy with that, so he keeps pushing for further upgrades until, most recently, he's promised Highgarden.

What's the next logical upgrade from Highgarden? The Seven Kingdoms.

I'm telling you, if One-Half of Robson & Jerome doesn't become the next king, I'mma write a strongly-worded letter. It's the only possible satisfying ending.

19. VipersGratitude

It does make sense...if you think about it, and that's the problem. GoT storytelling used to be entrenched in humanity. Events used to make both logical and emotional sense. I think this is where the writers failed. Beyond Missandei's death, all Daenarys' losses which the writers have been setting up for the last few seasons have amounted to no more than some extras dying, usually off-screen. That's why it felt so abrupt when her character turned, the audience doesn't feel her emotional motivation. They needed to show some personal loss, rather than just take some of her Risk™ pieces off her in expository dialogue.

20. legoman

True, plus a lot of them have betrayed her in various ways such as Vary's plans. Shes basically become an insulator character with no real moral compass so is lashing out in this case burning everything with burny drogon fire. You do get hints of how she deals with enemies quite early on like her brother having a gold hat (shiny) an other killings, it all becomes very personal very quick painting her into the tyrannical villain