1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Anyone else excited about this? (Game of Thrones)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pookeyhead, 18 Jun 2010.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I've not seen the episode yet, but I feel like I already know what happens.

I was reading a twitter thread the other day about writing styles - Plotters and Pantsers. It was basically saying, if I remember right, that GRRM is a Pantser, and when the TV show had to deviate from the books because GRRM writes incomprehensibly dense character development for things that don't matter (Owing to being a Pantser) and fell behind the TV schedule, the TV show became a Plotter because it had a definite end point in sight (X episodes away), so they know where they have to get, and how long they have to get there - So some on-screen character development sacrifices are made. Which is why Danny is suddenly a homicidal maniac with very little change time for us, the viewer.

It sounded like a lot of making excuses for a TV show that's on a downward spiral - But I'm trying to temper that thought with the knowledge that the show bores me and I am definitely not its target audience.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

My theory is that she's been edging towards boiling over all season, but we haven't seen it because Emilia Clarke's acting really isn't up to much. I cite every film she's been in as supporting evidence

I enjoyed it at any rate. Very much in fact. Sometimes it's okay just to sit back and watch a dragon blow sh_ up.

LennyRhys and liratheal like this.
  3. liratheal

Her eyebrows can only carry her so far. And that doesn't seem to be very far IMO

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Oh, I agree, it was incredibly spectacular and great fun to watch, but...
    The production values of this show are not carried on the back of a ropey acting performance. The argument that this has been building from the start of the season doesn't really cut it. If she went headlong at the Red Keep regardless of the bells, I could understand it - suddenly going full retard feels like an insanely weak plot device to set up the finale.

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Saw
    Its more a setup for the classic good Vs bad which is just lazy writing compared to previous events. plowing the red keep would have made way more sense taking out the threat and endearing the people by showing her as powerful, but merciful, instead she just laid waste to the city then the citadel itself all a bit overkill in a Superman Vs Zorg style. lots of pointless bashing of people and buildings.

Perfect example when the army started throwing down their swords the bells rang an dani went off on one causing a rampage of soldiers. If she had just stayed put none the whole thing would of played out very differently with a lot less Pompeii style corpses

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

LennyRhys likes this.
  7. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

I sometimes wonder if I'm in an very small majority that doesn't watch GoT and got dissuaded from doing so by the mass of adverts (trailers?) about it on TV.

8. liratheal

My partner is the sole reason I've ever watched this miserably dull garbage. I saw the first season, split up with the then girlfriend and totally forgot about it, then a couple of years ago my current girlfriend decided she wanted to start watching it and well. Here I am. Capable of having opinions on something that reminds me of milky, under-seasoned, porridge.

I reckon the TV show is going to disappoint most when it comes to the ending, and then GRRM (seriously, he's too old, unhealthy, and far too slow of a writer..) will die before the books get finished and everyone who was interested in it will forever have to say "It was great until.."

BentAnat likes this.
  9. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I haven't actually watched an episode of GoT since the penultimate episode of season 5 - I started to get a bit bored when it veered off course from the books... then obviously there were no more books.

But, even from just dipping in this thread every now and then, seeing a few memes and the odd Twitter reaction explosion, it's been obvious that it's been a rush to tie up a lot of storylines and get to the end.

Bit of a shame really, it deserved a bit more love in it's old age.

10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Wildfire /Greek Fire, used in the last defence of the city a couple of seasons ago, must have been stockpiling / forgotten a jar or two

11. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

plus the wubby wub wub from the subby sub sub!

12. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

As much as I'm enjoying the show for what it is, that epiosde rubbed me up the wrong way a bit for sam ereason otehrs mentioned, Dani is losing the plot but when she started saying how it's the peoples fault for following a Queen they have no choice over, then she started annihilating them when she could just destroy the powers and show power and mercy.

I'm hoping it's explained more as she was barely in that episode, maybe it doesn't need an answer, the idea of the throne has over shoadowed what she had to do and lose to get there, she's been so powerful up to now and is paying a price.

As a fan we've all had hopes and expectations, the show does it's best for us but it won't please everyone.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I did like the episode and it had some good moments.
    Arya and the Hound was definitely a highlight, and to be honest I felt most sorry for Cersei - what a crap way for such a powerful antagonist to go out.
    Cleganebowl felt a bit limp, but what else could they have done with it?

The problem is that this season only has six episodes to conclude everything, and Daenerys' army is only just arriving at Winterfell in episode 1 - that's a lot of stuff to cover in 9hrs of TV.

Daenerys has never shown an ounce of mercy or regret, even as far back as when her brother had molten gold poured all over his head by the man she was sold to as basically a sex slave. She just stood there and watched it happen with barely a flicker of emotion. She had the slave masters in.... I wanna say Mereen... executed and crucified even when Barristan Selmy was counselling mercy - she'd already defeated them and sacked the city, there was nothing to be gained from such a brutal execution. She locked people in a vault in Qohor. She burned the Dothraki chieftans alive (EDIT: That wasn't the dragons, that was her on her own...). She had her dragons burn Randall and Dickon Tarly alive because they wouldn't bend the knee.

She has NEVER been compassionate or merciful!

Wot he said:

That's the stuff, wildfire. The Mad King started stockpiling wildfire and had it placed in various locations under the city. His plan was to burn King's Landing to the ground rather than let rebels sack the city. He orders the wildfire to be ignited when Robert's army was bearing down on him but Jamie Lannister kills the messenger who was to deliver the order and proceeds to kill the Mad King. (That being the irony behind being loathed as a "king slayer", in that he saved a hell of a lot of lives by breaking his oath.) They used wildfire in the Battle of the Blackwater way back in an earlier season, and Cersei uses it to destroy the Sept of Baelor (sp) and murder a ton of her enemies.

So, yeah, it was dotted around the city like land mines.

14. David

So she freed Mereen from slavers for what? Ego?

15. liratheal

She's mad.

Or emotionally retarded. Could be either with Eyebrows acting.

Having now watched the episode, all I can really say is. Props to the makeup department. Ayra looked ****ed.

LennyRhys likes this.
  16. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Her initial plan for Mereen was to put it the city to fire and sword, but Tyrion talked her down from it.

17. David

No, her inital plan was to free the slaves. Remember the first bombardment? She hurled crates of broken collars into the city.

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yuss - he sees it too!

Dany's always been a self-important bitch-monster who's had to be reined in by various others. This is what happens when no one is able to restrain her. If she had an ounce of integrity she'd have insisted that Jon be crowned King of the Seven Kingdoms... instead, she pleaded with Jon to bend to her will so that she could be queen. In the story of Dany it's ALL about Dany. I'm surprised that people don't see this, regardless of how good or bad an actress Clarke is.

19. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Joker quote,

"Madness is like gravity. All it takes is a little push"

20. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I don't see it. She's always been reactionary like the characters we deem "good" and unlike the proactively cruel characters such as Joffrey or Ramsay.

Even Jon got his hands dirty from time to time
    [​IMG]