1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Anyone else got uni offers?

Discussion in 'General' started by bodkin, 27 Nov 2009.

1. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Got two offers and two refusals, offers are form Lancaster and Aberdeen. Anyone else got offers, or has an opinion on these unis?

Last edited: 27 Nov 2009
  2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

A refuel eh? :p

It's down to what you want to study, although I would say that Aberdeen could well be better than Lancaster Uni.

Lancaster Uni is a miserable place imo, such an isolated, closed campus isn't my idea of fun.

That said I know nothing of Aberdeen, it could easily be as boring as Lancaster.

Have you actually been to visit either of these places? Surely an open-day is a good idea before applying?

3. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Lol, yeah I have looked round both, and I live in Lancaster anyway. Better fix those refules :p Lancaster as a city sucks, so I was hoping the campus might be better. Aberdeen is looking better, has a proper UOTC. Oh, and both are for politics

4. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

So far been told (but not on UCAS yet) that I have offers from Bath and Surrey, just had an interview at imperial that went pretty well as the professor interviewing me had sent a PhD student to the company I did work experience with, and spent the rest telling him about what the pre-u is (an a-level replacement) which is hopeful as he was referring to what kind of offer I should get.

Have another interview at Cambridge in a week and a half, all for chemical engineering (via natsci for cambridge).

5. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I will just say a mate of mine goes to abberdeen uni and he loves it there although the weather is a bit poor the student life is appreantly top notch with plenty of good student friendly bars etc.

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

5 applications, 3 offers for Civil / Civil & Structural Engineering

I'm especially chuffed with my EEE offer to Manchester :)

Bristol basically told me to 'shove it'

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jan 2010
  7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

bodkin: I'd go to Aberdeen tbh, especially once someone has told you there's decent nightlife. I don't really see the point of going to Uni in the town where you live, especially if you don't really like it.

Mancs obviously like Mankz then... Although MACE are pretty decent folk, so if they take a shine to you, you're in.

Bristol seem to rely more on foreign students than anything else, which is a shame.

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I never really wanted to go to Bristol tbh, it was always going to be between Mancs and UCL, but I have no idea which. I really need to go upto Manchester when there are people about and get a proper feel for the place.

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I'm at Aberdeen, feel free to ask me specific questions in thread or by PM. As you mentioned the OTC, I can say that the Aberdeen OTC is really decent (I'm a member). We're unpaid just like everyone else right now, but it's got by and large good people in it - and I think it has like the second highest budget of any UOTC. We train way more than other OTCs.

As for politics here, well if you want to be in the same degree as half the uni then politics is a good start. Politics and International Relations (PIR) seems to be what every second student does at Aberdeen. Or maybe I just manage to avoid the Sports Scientists by staying out of the wrong bars.

10. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Mankz in Manchester? We'd have to have a meet up in Manchester when I'm at home!

Applying for Civil Engineer / Civil and Enviromental Engineering - I've not had any offers from anywhere yet, but no rejections either. I'm worried that Edinburgh aren't going to give out offers until January, and if Bristol are so negative to Mankz I don't suppose I have much chance.

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I went to Lancs just a year or two ago if anyone wants an opinion on that. No huge night life as far as clubbing goes, but plenty of nice pubs and lovely town. I adored the city and loved my time there even if the weather in the winter is a little...bleak.

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Nah, Bristol seems to have a thing against private schools, people from here who often get into Oxford/Cambridge get the old 'no-no' from Bristol for no real reason.

13. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Has everyone on here applied early?

I applied to Southampton, Reading, Bath, Cardiff, and Birmingham all for Chemistry, last week, but haven't heard anything back (it's early I know)...

I'm based in Somerset at the moment, so none are too far really :)

14. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Fair enough, nothing for me to worry about then.

My application went through last week too, but I've purposefully chosen Uni's far away from home :)

15. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Cheers for your input everyone, Aberdeen looks like it might be the one. Just waiting for a reply from Newcastle, if they give me an offer I will have a lot of thinking to do.

16. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

Cambridge applications had to be done ages ago, but its quite nice getting it all done this term.

At least I know fairly well where I want to go, depending on how the interviews go (Cambridge first then Imperial, not so sure about anywhere else).

17. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

back when I applied for Uni's Bristol was the biggest taker of Oxbridge rejects (for Engineering anyway)...then again I managed to get offers from UCL, Imperial, Bristol...and get rejected from Cambridge...maybe I am just bitter :eyebrow:

18. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

This time last year I had all 5 offers.
    I decided not to go.

19. Agamer

Agamer Minimodder

I am currently at Bristol doing CompSci but spend loads of time in Engineering and to clear a few misconceptions.

1. The mix between international students and home students seems about the same as any other university but then I don't have strong numbers.

2. Bristol got in trouble a few years back for accepting to many private school people so I imagine that's why they're cutting back but if anything I find more are from private than not but it seems to be getting pretty fair these days.

I am obviously biased in the fact I am from here and for those who are applying my personal opinion of the university is great! It's a lovely area and am really enjoying my course and most other's doing most engineering disciplines have had only positive things to say.

One thing to note if you do choose it as a choice and don't like walking don't choose a hall in stoke bishop you will regret it!

20. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Where to man?

And I got offers from Portsmouth, for both the courses I applied for, still waiting for replies from Kent and Lincoln.