1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Anyone ever build a spudgun?

Discussion in 'General' started by grritsshawn, 11 Jan 2012.

1. grritsshawn

grritsshawn I'm not insane I'm a modder

Hey just seeing if anyone built a spudgun ever and if its worth the money to do it.
    Had plans for a dual spudgun with a mount and everything but not sure if its with it

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

My brother and my mate built one that runs on acetone. That thing shoots ball bearings through metal drums... 0_o...
    as to whether or not it's worth it: They're both turner/fitters and had too muhc time when they built it.

I personally see the fun in building one, but then what?

3. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

I made a cannon that used a solvent called MEK to fire eggs once. We did try it with a potato but it was a bit heavier and didn't quite have the desired range. If we had ran with propane as a propellant or some other gas then it might well have worked.

It effectively took the form of a mortar launcher type device. If you over did the propellant you would shatter the egg and effectively made a scrambled egg cannon. If you got it right though you could fire an egg about 30 meters as I recall.

It was awesome. Well worth it for an afternoons entertainment.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

For the cost of some plastic piping it's worth a crack. Get down to B&Q. :D

5. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

I built one once:
    Steel gas piping lined with a plastic pipe WD-40'd up as the barrel 50cm dia
    Bolts onto a seamless steel gas chamber with plates welded to the ends 20cm dia
    It used a plastic seal trapped between the gas chamber and barrel
    Fill with ACTYLENE to 1 bar then a few canisters of NO2 via a neat plumbing arrangement on the gas chamber, then the chamber's sealed. Remote ignition via BBQ igniter, then the explosion melted the plastic seal and let gas out. I used mini plastic bags screwfix sends screws etc in.
    Never fired a potato, but fired it unloaded and the shockwave took out a lot of ceiling tiles - very loud bang. I think it's still at school, also had a base weighed down with dumbells and could change the angle from 0-90deg securely. I'm rather proud of that :D

6. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

ACTYLENE & NO2! That's awesome.

I might try and make a shock wave / spud cannon cannon as you described. I agree though the seal is going to be the tricky part. I'm sure I could manufacture a fancy screw in adaptor so I could mount the handle of my gas welding torch into the combustion chamber of the cannon.

That way I could easily control the Actylene:Oxygen ration easily.

Sadly I don't have any N02 on tap but normal pure oxygen should do.

There are going to be a few bangs me thinks :D

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Sealing airtight isn't that hard if you have access to the right tools or know the right people. we had the same mate build us an HPA fill adapter for Paintball uses (4500PSI that's what? 300bar?) - no seals...

8. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

Can't say the thought ever crossed my mind. Now, however, it has...