1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Anyone got a good place to get spray paints?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Cadillac Ferd, 2 Mar 2006.

1. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Hey all, I was just wondering if you guys out there could share what brand of paint you guys use for your mod projects also where a good place to find spray paint online would be. I recently used some krylon paint when I was modding my xbox but I really wasn't too happy about the way the colors turned out.

2. tecguy

tecguy What's a Dremel?

i've heard monster paint is alright?

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I would go to a professional car paint shop, see what colours they are using at the time and if you see one you like, ask if they will spray your case with the left-over paint. Normally the remainder is wasted anyway in the process of emptying and cleaning the spray gun, and they won't mind doing a small case at the end of a big car job.

4. tecguy

tecguy What's a Dremel?

Thats a good thing but then if they say no or charge you a tenner you mite as well have bought spray paint,the best place to go is a car shop and get some of there car paint if your case is metal but remeber to get some primer and clear coat to go on before and after,but if it aint metal don't use car paint because it won't look as good because cars are made of metal and so are metal cases so you see the connection!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :D :D :D

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

A tenner is a bargain for a professional spray paint job --I'd gladly fork over five times that.

There are several "how-to's" about case painting on this forum. It does indeed rewquire sanding, a primer, more sanding inbetween paint layers and a protective top coat.

6. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Cool cool, no idea where I can find a car shop that would do that also I wanted to do the painting myself as I have to paint a whole bunch of little things after I disassemble my 360 in addition to my computer case thing. Any ideas as to what band of spray paint would be good for the metal of my case and/or the plastic of my 360 case?

7. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the idea think I will go ask around and get them to phone me when they have sprayed a red car :hehe:

8. Dngrsone

Dngrsone What's a Dremel?

Use vinyl dye for the plastic-- it penetrates and actually colors the material instead of lying on top, so all the etching and such is as sharp as ever... it looks as if the plastic was molded in that color.

You can get vinyl dyes online or at car parts stores. You'll have to make several passes to get good coverage when spraying it.

9. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

That gives me an idea to take a computer over to my friend's work, he mods cars for a living, including one that has appeared on a recent edition of Max Power. Might be able to get a professional job done as I'm planning another mod with phase cooling :naughty:

In answer to the thread, I used a £6 can of plasticote on my test rig (after applying primer) and it has a really good finish. However if you did it professionally such as in a modding garage, you could get a finish as good as a car's finish (as others in this thread have already pointed out).

10. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

I'm sorry, but don't listen to this guy.. It's just fine as long as you do all the prep work. For example, here is an xbox case that I painted with House of Kolor.
    [​IMG]

House of Kolor is a professional car paint, but it works just fine on many other surfaces.

11. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

what you can ultimately paint on and how strong it will look is usually determined by the prep work (which is like %99 of the work). Some plastics and rubbers like urethanes and ABS IIRC won't normally hold colors. there are plastic primers that will bond to the plastic and plastic etchers that will rough up the surface for prep. vinyl dye will work well on most plastics but not on metal so color matching can be a pain. I would try asking body shops usually the guys are friendly. I asked my schools body shop and the students gladly laid down paint for class credit. IF you prep and prime the piece most places will spray for a marginal or free cost and will generally get better results