1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have any advice on hiring an auditor?

Discussion in 'General' started by Monkeyboy, 30 Jan 2007.

1. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

OK, i think my uncle is up to shenanigans with regards to my inheritance. he's been unreasonably reticent to supply me with any financial documentation, and just outright snarky in answering any questions i may have. he's now planning to withhold an unspecified ammount from the trust disbursement and set it aside for taxes, yet will not even tell my brother or i (the beneficiaries of said trust) how much it is. we fear he may, for example, set aside $10k when there is only $8k in taxes, and pocket the difference. therefore i and my brother are looking into an auditor (in south carolina, where my uncle is) to go over his books and verify that all is kosher. any recomendations as to where would be the best place to look, or perhaps even recomend a particular cpa?

2. DMAthlon

DMAthlon What's a Dremel?

no personal suggestions but best of luck in catching your swindling uncle!

3. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

Call your bank and ask them. Maybe they can recommend a course of action?

4. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

i feel dumb for not thinking of that...
    i'm politely going to request the information and documents again, follow up with certified mail, and from there i think it's going to be audit time...

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Sounds like you might want to talk to a lawyer rather than an auditor; he could still refuse to give the auditor all the necessary documents. The lawyer would probably know of an auditor who could check through the financials once you have copies - but the first step would be getting those copies.