1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here go to see NOFX last saturday?

Discussion in 'General' started by El_JimBob, 13 May 2004.

1. El_JimBob

El_JimBob What's a Dremel?

Fantastic show, though not the best i've seen them play. Bit bewildering to see how popular they are now, actually. Brixton Academy was full to the brim....

Good set, although they criminally ignored 'Hotdog in a Hallway' (my fave song) and concentrated on alot of the more politically orientated song from their last two albums.
    The fan-requested Green Corn off 'Ribbed' was a nice touch, especially watching them all huddle together to discuss tactics before they played it (most bands would resort to the old 'oh-we-dont-play-that-one-anymore' cop out :))

Best of all tho, was their onstage bashing of Good Charlotte (a band i absolutely abhor), because they and their record label 'didnt think it was the right thing' to be involved with Mike's new anti-Bush compilation cd.
    Damn, i nearly cheered myself hoarse when he said "what a bunch of f*cking puss*es"....
    I will be taking Fat Mike up on his challenge to punch them in the face, should i ever encounter their faux-punk visages in public :naughty:

And, of course, i was dressed up in the t-shirt i got on their '96 tour when they played the Astoria. Its green, with a picture of a guy 69ing a sheep lol :D

Top-notch stuff.........
    ...........altho Bad Religion this saturday could possibly be better, especially if they play a greatest hits set :clap:

2. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

NOFX is one of the few bands I've always wanted to see live which I haven't yet :(

Personally I think they are sell-outs now, and should have stopped with their 'So Long & Thanks For All The Shoes' album - which they themselves said would be their last. 'The Decline' was good, but 'Pump Up The Valuum' or whatever its called.... :jawdrop: OMG what a load of rubbish, & I don't even want to hear any newer cds.

I would still like to see them live though, but I would not pay more than £10, especially if all they will play is new songs.

How many times have you seen them live?

3. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

... Don't make me cry they were playing Rock City (nottingham) an some how they' managed to not get my attention and I'm really pissed.

4. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Anyone going Bad Religion tonite?

5. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Bad Religion is playing in the UK again?

How many shows are they doing, do you have any llinks?

6. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

It is tonight :) Um...links? Look on Stargreen. Or Ticketmaster. Sold out now tho. Went to see them about a year ago at Kentish Town Forum, with Mr. Brett back. That was great. And the girls......oh momma. We need a drooling smiley. :naughty:

EDIT: Hit Meh

Last edited: 15 May 2004
  7. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Dammit! Bad Religion are one of my all time favourite bands, wouldn't mind seeing them again.

I did see them 5 times last year though :naughty:
    Or was it the year before, I forget, but anyway.

Hope you enjoy the show, they :rock:

8. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I was there too. Great show with Good Riddance and The Vandals. I must admit I preferred them back then...

9. El_JimBob

Heyyyy bro :)
    Remember the riot after that show, cos the security we're manhandling punters? I got out of there sharpish....

Lord_A, i've only seen them 4 times, but thats only cos they hardly ever come over here anyways :)

I must admit i'm not too keen on the latest NOFX stuff. Mind u, i can't even stand Punk In Drublic either.
    Heavy Petting Zoo remains my fave album - far more innovation on that record than on any of their other albums (bar The Decline, but thats one song, so it dont count :))
    I'm more interested in collecting all the limited edition vinyl that they bring out. So far, ive got a transparent green 'F*ck the Kids' EP, a purple 'Louise and Liza', a 7inch copy of 'Surfer' and a green 'Timmy The Turtle'. Can any of you guys tell me if there's been any more recently?

Bad Religion last night was ace - mind u, the Astoria was dangerously sold out, and some punters were barging round without a care in the world - people like that really piss me off - a big fat bast nearly elbowed my girlfriend in the face as he was pushing his way thru the crowd. Peeps need to decide whether they wanna go in the pit or jus stand and watch.

Good set, although im damned if i can remember what they played due to me having to let people walk past me constantly for over an hour :wallbash:

Oh well, the perils of rock n roll, eh :D

10. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

We walked back to Kings Cross as soon as we got outside, there was some idiots hanging off lamposts and kicking cars and stuff... Hmmm I would day the Heavy Petting Zoo record is their worst in recent times. Just too much of an extreme reaction to the MTV interest by ditching alot of their ska and reggae influences and thickening up their sound at the expense of melody and harmonising. I think the White Trash/Punk In Drublic era was their best by far, although Pump Up The Valium is a close third in my personal fav list. The last album was a big dissappointment, and I've only really started listening to it properly quite recently.

On the vinyl front, I've got a lursh limited picture disc, bright yellow semi transparent 12inch of Leave It Alone.

11. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

Hmm...NOFX.

Saw them in 1998 (at least I think it was 1998..."So long and thanks for all the shoes" had just come out anyway) and they were really good.

Haven't bought any of their records for a long time though- Valiuum wasnt very good, The Decline was cack, and I cant even remember the name of the last one.

But don't let that detract from the quality of their early stuff- I reckon "So Long..." probably just edges it over "Ribbed" for me :)

Sam

12. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

So Long... is hardly their early stuff, being the album before Pump Up The Valium.

13. Uncle Psychosis

No...but it came out 7 years ago. Which, if you ask me, qualifies as pretty early by todays standards.

Sam

14. El_JimBob

LOL. u guyz...................

Glad to see no-one at all agrees with me about 'Heavy Petting Zoo' :D
    I guess its all just a matter of opinion. Truthfully tho, im pretty glad they ditched alot of the ska stuff - too many rotten bands doing that these days.

They're by no means a bad band today tho - 'The Decline' was an amazing peice of work that continues to confuse and astound myself and my friends to this very day (mostly due to our inability to remember how to play all the different parts of a 20 minute song), and the last couple of albums have at the very least demonstrated what an incredibly intelligent and charismatic lyricist Fat Mike truly is (even if the band's musical ability is somewhat stuck in a rut).

And even a 'bad' NOFX album is worth a hundred of the sh*t that bands like Yellowcard, Taking Back Sunday, Thrice, Starting Line, Brand New and Good Charlotte are putting out :naughty:

So........anyways........here's my top three:

1: Heavy Petting Zoo
    2: Ribbed
    3: SLATFATS

Feel free to agree/disagree/sh*t on my parade as much as u like :thumb:

15. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Heavy Petting Zoo was good, but I prefer White Trash, Punk in Drublic.

My favorites though would have to be S&M Airlines & Ribbed.

Saying that, I really love the 'Longest Line' song.

And Maximum Rock & Roll was / still is awesome.

btw, which album is SLATFATS - is that the newest one or some limited vinyl?

16. Uncle Psychosis

So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes

Sam

17. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I think you're confusing 'early' with 'old'. Early is stuff like S&M Airlines and Maximum R&R.

BTW The Decline is one of my all time favourite songs/records. Pure genius and totally ****ing punk rock.

18. Uncle Psychosis

Well if I'd known you were going to be so pedantic I would have said "old". :p

Sam