1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Anyone interested in a workshop build?

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Goatee, 14 May 2020.

1. Goatee

Goatee Well-Known Member

Its going well, tons of work, but not much to show for it.

I have finally got the deep workbench finished and covered. My plan is to to use the floor liner to top the worktops, that is until I can find a heavy duty rubber or alternative material top them with more permanently.

[​IMG]

My plan for this deep work area is to have the right side as storage for those black totes, with shelved storage above that (for computer component boxes). The left hand side has a vent which I have rigged a old computer fan to pull in "fresh" air from the outside for about 6 hours per day. I will link that to temperature in the workshop (and potentially future temperature for the day) with a smart plug using IFTTT at some point. The left hand side of the deep bench will have an old wall cabinet installed and will act as the "dirty area, with pillar drill, vices and anything else I can fit in.

I also got my computer installed to allow some internet radio / browsing bit / troubleshooting stuff in the future. Its not very tidy but works well. Shout out to @Nealieboyee for the CNC work on the passive PC case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

David, Arboreal and MLyons like this.
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That's awful close to the spot that will draw moisture.

3. Goatee

Goatee Well-Known Member

I did think that but I plan to fit an exhaust fan to help airflow across the workshop. I already have a fan the other side to bring fresh air in.

As the vent is domed on the outside, I would expect any moisture ingress to be minimal.

4. Cheapskate

It's a cold spot in winter because of the lack of insulation there. The metal will get cold and draw moisture.
    -To be fair it's unavoidable in humid climates. I have to air gap my van tool boxes or the carpet gets soaking wet in the winter.

Goatee likes this.
  5. Goatee

Goatee Well-Known Member

Been in the workshop for a while now, still got a little bit of painting to go but its almost there.

Can you see how its insulated......

[​IMG]

6. Cheapskate

The roofing doesn't hang over the edge trim? That seems odd.

Goatee likes this.
  7. Goatee

Goatee Well-Known Member

I know, they did the roof while I was on a call. Idiots put the trim on outside, meaning it had to the painted.