1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Anyone tempted by a day one Sandybridge purchase?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ph4ZeD, 3 Jan 2011.

1. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Bit Tech review says you can 'easily' although if GFX card is too long you are limited to a low profile rad. Although I agree it does look very tight and I would prefer much more room in the case tbh.

Well I have decided on the mobo anyway - I'm going for the UD4, will free up a little bit of cash to throw at the case. Was just looking at the FT02R - misses will kill me if she ever finds out what I'm spending lol...

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Hehe. I decided on the Asus as it is a slightly better overclocker.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Stop it! Lol wish you hadn't said that :grr:

4. Pughy

Pughy Fancy a game of Starcraft?

I've been researching for a few weeks about my build that I'll be buying very soon. While I think the HAF cases are really nice (btw the haf x isnt on scan) I've decided to go for the new coolermaster storm sniper at £107ish. It's taken me a long as time to decide which one to buy lol.

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cool...aming-tower-case-inc-side-window-usb3-w-o-psu

So hard to use the search function.

6. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Heh yeah was happily sat im my saved basket earlier today. Also in the deals for the day slightly cheaper.

7. Pughy

8. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I searched for HAF and got a list of around 5 HAF items :)

9. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I am waiting for the Z68 mITX mobo's, and then I'm gonna stuff that along with a 2500k and a 6870 in a SG05. Might buy a H50 for WC'ing it.

10. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Just search on HAF - or browse through the main menu. But you are right HAF X as a search item does not work...

11. Pughy

Yeah I tried that just now and seen it there but when the search worked fine for all the other items directly, you'd think it would work for the X (and more importantly not give the 932). For some odd reason it doesn't and I assumed they didn't sell it.

12. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I was comparing the UD4 and the P8P67 PRO (they are the same price, Deluxe is more expensive)

Things the PRO has that the UD4 doesn't:
    EFI graphical BIOS
    Firewire
    Third PCIe x16 (runs at x4). It's not fast enough to to TriFire or TriSli, but it would allow a x4 PCIe card like a RAID controller or PCIe SSD in addition to the x16 main slot or x8/x8 SLI/Crossfire.
    PCI bracket with USB 3.0 ports that could be modded to be front-panel

The UD4 is just so fine looking, though. It's a shame for Asus, because the P8P67 is fugly in a "What were you thinking?" way, and the Sabertooth is fugly in a "I see what you were thinking, but no". Only the Maximus IV has a decent color scheme, and it's too expensive with that pointless NF200 chip.

13. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I have no clue why the looks of the motherboard is such a huge issue for you. Unless you spend quite a lot of time staring at the internals of your computer?

I'd always go performance > looks when it is a piece of hardware that's supposed to be locked up in my computer.

14. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Its hard to see any motherboard beating the Pro for price/performance and features. Two SATA3 AHCI ports? Win!

15. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Some people enjoy building a PC that is something good to look at as well as serving its primary purpose. Go check the mods/builds forum... Would be full of generic mismatch setups that no one would enjoy reading about...

16. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

Ordered mine today, went all out and got a whole new system. Went for the 2500k + Asus Delux. Threw in a GTX 570 for good measure :). Will all sit nicely in a RV02. Should be a nice improvement to my aging Athlon X2 2.2GHz.

17. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

@JuMpErFLY

nice!!!

18. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Just a tip if you're using a CPU cooler which needs a back plate - the cutout in the RV02 isn't big enough for the Asus board (I have a Pro but I imagine it's the same layout for the Deluxe) so you'll need to attach the back plate before mounting the mobo into the case :)

19. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Or get your dremel out! :dremel:

20. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Tried to order from scan there. No luck :( couldn't remember my password or what i filled in for my postal code. Null, None, 0000 Etc. (We don't have postal addresses in Ireland)
    Hopefully they can sort it out tomorrow.