1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone use kryptonite locks on their bikes?

Discussion in 'General' started by Digitalblueshift, 15 Sep 2004.

1. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

2. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

I use a kryptonite lock on mine. Its not the one in the link but it works great.

3. RTT

RTT #parp

That's pretty bad :eeek:

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Lol, you think they'd design one that wasn't so simple; you don't even need a biro, just an impliment which will fit in the lock basically tbh. "Secure" my arse tbh...

5. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

Kryptonite make some very good locks, never been a fan of those cylinder key ones though, glad I didn't decide to give them a go anyway.

I use a Squire lock myself. Would have bought a Kryptonite but I got a discount on the top Squire lock at the time, didn't stop my wheels being stolen the other day though (In underground secure parking with CCTV to the external entrance - means somebody with access to the inside of the building took them :miffed: ). Now, complete with shiny new higher spec wheels, I use one of those additional cables to secure all the detachables, along with secure quick releases (can remove levers).

Good thing about buying a decent lock is the additional insurance the lock company gives you, often paying out a few hundred atleast if the lock is broken.

6. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Yeah, I use kryptonite as well, but I went the smarter way and got one of their higher end cable locks. Let me tell you, I've been very glad over the past 4 or so years of having it. Over it's use I've either caught, or saw the after math of different things done to this lock, but as of yet nobody has busted into it. Things I know have happened to it: drilled (only got through the plastic, then made a lot of scratches on the metal), attempted to cut with a large set of bolt cutters (I'm actualy suprised that didn't get through...), skeleton key (broke the key in the damn lock...), hack saw (caught that *******). And through all that, the only time the bike has ever been successfuly stolen (well, partialy) was when I only locked up the frame and left it over night. $10 bike I had just got at a garage sale was striped down to it's frame. The only things left on it we're the cranks, petals, and chain :rolleyes: pissed me off royaly. Anyway, all U locks are easy to break into, just get some lighter fluid, dump a bit into the lock, and bust it with a hammer. Failing that, just hitting it with the hammer will usualy bust it out.

[EDIT]Here we go, a version of This. Different keys though, old school kryptonite. Also forgot to mention that sis has got kryptonite's old motorcycle lock, one of those outragious $200 jobbies. It's got 1" thick solid core steel cable and it's a real bitch to bend, but it's one tough lock.[/EDIT]

Last edited: 15 Sep 2004
  7. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

When I had my GT, I locked it up with a very similar lock (by Keyptonite) and it was never stolen - many attempts, but never anything successfull.

8. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

9. K

K 528491

What's the point?! Superman flies!

10. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

The point is now superman can steal your bike and sell it on ebay.

11. relix

relix Minimodder

*relix sells Froggy's bike on eBay

12. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

OwneD

13. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Odd... My bike is still in my room here yet it was sold on ebay.... i guess superman bought it and returned it. :D

14. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

my sister had a kryptonite cable lock, a rather cheap one, around $20, and she lost the key. well, mom got sick of it being locked on the porch and my sister wanted it up at college, so it was my job to figure a way to cut it off the porch by any means necessary. so, being the modder i am, went out there with an extension cord and my dremel with a cut off disk. around 2 minutes later (i was being cautious of flying melted plastic) i cut through it. because of that i will definately research better locks for my bike, cuz thats just sad.

15. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Back when I used to have a bike, I bought a high gauge steel chain from a local hardware store. And also a large bullet proof master lock and no one evn attempted to touch it as it looked like a tank. Sadly enough tho my bike was stolen as I was shoping in a store and neglected to lock up my bike :wallbash: the chain went with it :wallbash: . But the hell with it, It was a cheep kmart bike that looked expensive but really wasent. I am personaly tired of bikes. I want a car now.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2004
  16. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

i rly dont think most chav criminals walk around with a dremel on a huge extention cord. i use a cheap halfords shackle lock on mine along with a cable/padlock combination..... dont tend to let it out of my sight much though

17. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

Jeeze I am glad I dont live in an area with much crime, I never lock my bike, never had it stollen. I just am to lazy to lock it for no reason.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2004
  18. TMM

TMM Modder

yeh, crime isn't too bad in Australia. I use an el-cheapo combination lock for my bike. never had a problem. :)
    although my area is pretty good. My Friend lives a few suburbs away from me and had his bike stolen out of his own garage(the door was up). And i consider that pretty bad.

19. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Minimodder

i use a piece of mint floss tied around the frame.

oh and i double-knot it. my bike is safe

20. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Cordless Multipro? :p