1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Anytone tried feisty fawn yet?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cthippo, 5 Apr 2007.

1. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Biosniper / Shagbag

I'm using a Edimax EW7108PCG card (RT2500) and when I go into network manager and select my network it only gives options to enter WEP keys.

2. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Which kernel module has been loaded? rt2500 or rt2500pci? Both support WPA but rt2500pci is the rt2x00 driver and - from personal experience - that's a bit flaky on WPA. rt2500 supports WPA but doesn't use wpa_supplicant. Instead, it has its own tools which you must download and configure from the command line.

3. Hiren

What about cards that use the Atheros Chipset are they better supported under WPA?

4. Shagbag

Your chipset DOES support WPA. It's just how that support is implemented that is the difference. The implementation comes down to which kernel module (aka 'device driver') you use.

The rt2500 module implements WPA through the 'iwconfig' and 'iwpriv' command line tools. Like most things linux, it's very easy to do - once you know how.

The rt2x00 driver relies on the 'iwconfig' and 'wpa_supplicant' command line tools. Again - once you know how - they're quite easy to use.

Given that you are not getting the option to use WPA through Ubuntu's GUI, my guess is that this GUI is just a front-end for wpa_supplicant and that you have the rt2500 module installed (hence my earlier post asking which driver was loaded).

With a bit of persistence, you should be able to configure your wireless card to connect to your access point with WPA. If you need any help, start a new thread and I'll help as much as I can.

As to Atheros chipsets, you will have seen BioSniper got his to work without a hitch. From memory, Atheros chips use the 'madwifi' kernel module which supports WPA through wpa_supplicant.

However, the difficulty you will face in choosing another wireless adapter is that manufacturers seldom disclose the chipset used. Not only this, but some manufacturers have been known to switch chipsets in the same advertised model.

You can, of course, try using ndiswrapper - which makes use of wpa_supplicant. You may find this works. Then again, it may not. I've not tried it on a RaLink card so I can't be definitive.

5. Hiren

Yeah I originally tried to get it working under Edgy but it was just a nightmare and still didn't want to work. ndiswrapper was a absolute PITA last time I tried it.

I'll give it a try under Feisty Fawn and let you know how I get on.

6. MG Man

MG Man New Member

this was the HOWTO i used to get my broadcom card working using ndiswrapper
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=201902
    I shouldn't think it would be too different for another card, plus i think Atheros chipsets have better support under feisty...

7. DMAthlon

DMAthlon New Member

I've been using linux noob, dependant on windows but i'm in my second year of use so hooray.

i like feisty better than the Dapper and Edgy. I finally did a format of my ext3 partition because there's been error mesages showing up on boot (after that, everything works flawlessly) saying it couldn't check omsething or another. pressing CTRL+D a couple times makes it proceed to login.

Fesity's interface is pretty improved too. my only problem is that the feisty fawn doesn't recognize my 19" ws monitor. so i'm running at streched out 1280*1024 which looks crappy to say the least.

any help on that front maybe?

8. Shagbag

Write a custom ModeLine in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf using the info you can pickup from your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. Google for ModeLine howtos/examples. There are loads out there. It's what I did with my 20" Dell WXGA monitor.

9. Cuban

Cuban New Member

im using the current version 7.04 everything seems to work ok except for the screen resolution wont go to 1280 x 800. ive checked the xorg.conf and it seems to be set up correctly. im new to this but have googled it but all that seems to point me to the xorg.conf :(
    any ideas?

10. MG Man

MG Man New Member

also, powerstrip for windows will generate a linux modeline for you

11. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

feisty doesn't run under parallels on my mac :'(

12. Shagbag

Then get rid of OS X. (joke).

You might want to take that up with the people at Parallels.

You can always install linux on your hard drive. It's a breeze with a PowerPC but the Mactels require some hacking. SimplyMEPIS 6.5 is the only distro I know that gives you a nice GUI installer to put linux (ie. put SimplyMEPIS 6.5) onto a MacTel. SimplyMEPIS is Ubuntu based so you still get all the synaptic goodies.

If you want to install Ubuntu then google linux+install+rEFIt and you should find some advice on doing it.

13. shaq

shaq New Member

Been using FF for a few weeks now, and I've had no problems whatsoever.

Some of the old issues that I had under Edgy have gone, (not being to burn a CD, conky flickering, despite double buffering being set)

FF + Beryl + Emerald + Conky = The Perfect OS

Tags: