1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks (Apparently) can’t get 2Mb ADSL – what to do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by riggs, 17 Oct 2005.

1. riggs

riggs ^_^

Long story short, I signed up with Plus.net (2Mb Premier) about 6 weeks ago. It took them 3 weeks to get my account activated, but it only connected @ 1Mb. I got in touch with them, who got in touch with BT to ask for a regrade.
    They’ve now got back to me stating that I’m unable to receive a 2Mb connection “because of the length and quality of my line”.

Now, I’m pretty sure that my figures (from the router status) are within the limit of a 2Mb connection (Line Attenuation: 27dB, Noise Margin: 24dB (noise margin is around 31dB if I connect to the master phone socket)) – and I’m certain that I’m within the 5.5km range.

…and to top it off, there’s a bloke that live across the road who has a 2Mb Tiscali connection…

So, what should I do next? Get in touch with BT myself?

Not sure if this’ll affect it, but I’m actually thinking of leaving Plus.net and migrating to Zen instead. With they (Zen) be able to help my with my connection problem?

Any help/advise greatly appreciated…

2. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

It's BT not the ISP who decides what the maximum speed of your line is. PlusNet are just forwarding BT's report onto you so I swapping ISPs shoudn't make any difference and you may have to pay a cancellation fee.

Your neighbour may be on a different exchange or just have less noise on his line.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2005
  3. wharrad

wharrad What's a Dremel?

I do know of someone who called BT and told them their figures from the router. BT upgraded the line as they had made a mistake...

So just try hassling them.

4. riggs

riggs ^_^

Yes, I understand that BT determine what speed my line can achieve, but because of multiple excuses I’ve been given by Plus.net so far, it wouldn’t surprise me if they havn’t even bothered contacting BT…
    (I’m probably gonna switch to Zen anyway – I think I’m still in the “30 day guarantee” period with Plus.net so hopefully I won’t have to pay any cancellation costs).

Now, I know that the maximum line attenuation for a 2Mb connection is 40dB, so I’m within the limit as far as that reading goes. Noise margin I’m not so sure about though…never found a proper answer (I’m presuming that it’s the opposite of attenuation (ie, the higher the better)? – I think I read somewhere that when the speed doubles, you lose about 12dB on the noise margin level, correct?)

Anywho, a Plus.net forum member assured me that both figures were within the limit.

So is it now a case of contacting BT, getting them to confirm the figures, and if I still think I’m right, resort to complaining? I remember reading somewhere that I could get a BT engineer round to try and improve my line quality…but that’s kind of a last resort (seeing as I’d have to pay).

As for my neighbour being on a different exchange, not possible. I live in a small market town with only 1 telephone exchange – the next nearest exchange is at least 7 or 8 miles away…

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'm on Plusnet 2MB Premier, and in the config for my Netgear DG834, I have the following:

Downstream - Line Attenuation: 24db, Noise Margin: 29db
    Upstream - LA: 7db, Noise Margin: 29db

I'm certainly well within 1km of the exchange. Hassle BT.

6. riggs

riggs ^_^

Ooh, never thought about the upstream figures - but surely that won't make a difference (seeing as it's still only gonna be 256k up)?

I'll give BT a ring today/tonight - see if I can actually get to speak to someone with a brain...

7. riggs

riggs ^_^

Well, I ended up emailing BT (at least this way it can get forwarded to someone with a brain (not like phoning them!)).

Got a reply back from them today

Hmmm, that 'diagnostic check' is exactly what I get told when I enter my phone number into the BT ADSL tracker...

What can I do now then? Surely, because the attentuation and noise margin are within the limit I should be able to get 2Mb?
    Also, I'm not sure about actual line length, but 'as the crow flies' I'm roughly 1200m - 1500m away from the exchange.

Can I not just get in touch with them again and ask them to lift the limit, despite what their 'tests' say?

[edit] phone number removed - well spotted Leeum!

Last edited: 29 Oct 2005
  8. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

You might want to take your phone number out...;)

Tags: