1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Apple 128 GB Ipad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by suragh, 29 Jan 2013.

1. suragh

suragh Derp

What is Apple playing at!?

I used to enjoy waiting for the annual big release... now they are doing something new monthly!

Click here

:sigh:

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Buy a cheap 16GB iPad and get a Seagate GoFlex Satellite WiFi HDD with 500GB. Way cheaper, more flexible and more storage.

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It's not a new product, just an increase in capacity - they'll still do the big song and dance for the next actual revision of the iPad with the rumoured iPad mini design.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

iPad 5 iPad mini 2 iphone 5s will all be out this year sometime.

Plus the revisions of the rest of there line up.

Haswell powered MacBook is what I want to see.

5. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Good lord that is a lot of cash!

Think Apple are in real danger of alienating more and more by releasing little updates with no warning. Makes people feel like what they have is out of date, even if there is little to no change.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Gotta compensate for the ever increasing specs of Android and now Windows tablets... Not sure that 128Gb is actually needed though --most iOS apps are incredibly compact, even if they have to cater for a retina screen.

Is it me, or are Apple's releases since Jobs' death a bit, well, lacking in imagination? I keep hoping that iOS 7 will blow us away, but I'm not convinced. Meanwhile Android is smoother than an Italian gigolo wearing a suede calves leather suit, and Windows is actually being innovative. Lordy.

7. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

I agree with the staleness sentiment, but as much as I like android, the hardware never gets me going. To my hands iPhone's are nice, sturdy and dont get to greasy. Thinks like the Nexus and the S3 (had both) just seem a little lacking to me, which is not good enough when they are the price they are. It might just be my odd skin, but I seem to grease those gorrilia glass screens up something awful, while my iPhone screen stays ok.

Not sure I can justify another iPhone after this one though, they just seem to have run out of air.

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I'm not sure I agree with the Android and Win 8 sentiments.

I personally have some iOS products, an iPhone 4S, an iPad mini, and an original iPad.
    I also have a work provided iPad (4).

In addition, through work, I'm testing an HTC One X plus running Jellybean, an HTC 8X running Windows phone 8, and a Samsung 500t running Windows 8 Pro.

None of the above have the polish and finish of the Apple products in terms of build quality, look or feel.
    As for the OS, iOS still comes out tops for me in the ease of use factor.

Whilst Win 8 Pro is new and refreshing its not long before it becomes annoying, it's clear that its just Windows with enhanced touch capabilities, it is not designed for a touch environment.
    I must say though, handwriting recognition in Onenote is pretty good.

I can't comment fully on Win 8 phone yet, don't get the device until tomorrow, although I have played around with one for a day. It looks promising.

Android is just, meh. It tries but fails, it offers nothing new and with a new flavour out every other month across non standardised/vetted hardware it's a security nightmare (from an enterprise standpoint).

PS, the price quoted for the 128G is getting a bit crazy for an iPad.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2013
  9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Surface Pro looks even a better deal, now.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Surface pro is competing against an iPad ? Always assumes it was competing against ultrabooks personally.

As for what apple is doing not sure they care even if profit stays at a low 6bil they will have some crazy 170bil cash in hand.

Wonder what they plan to do with it.

Buy out rim and AMD is what id personally do with 5-6bil of it.

11. GoodBytes

For Windows Phone 8 to be good, you have to have Nokia Lumia phone for the best experience. But, in any case, we all know it still needs some work. The big part of Windows Phone 8 was the usage of Windows 8 core (as the Windows Me core in 7 was just stupid decision, glad who ever was originally in charge for this is gone). Hopefully, Microsoft will now be able to focus more on the user end with the next Windows Phone update or Windows Phone 9.

As for the Samsung 500t... I can't comment, but I experience with the Sony Windows 8 Pro tablet.. wow it was choppy and very responsive. Windows 8 is not the problem.. it runs perfectly well and above and beyond smooth on my desktop, and even on my 4 year old Core 2 Duo laptop. It's something wrong with the drivers, or the touchscreen simply sucks.
    While I haven't tried in person, seeing the Surface how response and fast it is, I blame the OEM.

Use it with a digitize pen, and it will be ridiculously awesome.

Promising, but lack many essential things, and lack of apps. You can't compare it with the iPhone or even Android. But if you prefer a phone over apps, and use it more as an extension of your computer and not a replacement, then its a pretty impressive device, that fit that needs, especially considering the price you get for it (at least in Canada or US where you have it for 100-50$, with contract and not 200-500$ for a 3 year contract)

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The Samsung 500t doesn't help, being equipped with an Atom processor, but my initial feelings with Win 8 pro on a tablet point to it being a desktop OS shoehorned into a mobile device.

The tiles look nice, but launch most applications and you step into a different world - even outlook seems out of place.

13. GoodBytes

For Windows Phone 8 to be good, you have to have Nokia Lumia phone for the best experience. But, in any case, we all know it still needs some work. The big part of Windows Phone 8 was the usage of Windows 8 core (as the Windows Me core in 7 was just stupid decision, glad who ever was originally in charge for this is gone). Hopefully, Microsoft will now be able to focus more on the user end with the next Windows Phone update or Windows Phone 9.

As for the Samsung 500t... I can't comment, but I experience with the Sony Windows 8 Pro tablet.. wow it was choppy and very responsive. Windows 8 is not the problem.. it runs perfectly well and above and beyond smooth on my desktop, and even on my 4 year old Core 2 Duo laptop. It's something wrong with the drivers, or the touchscreen simply sucks.
    While I haven't tried in person, seeing the Surface how response and fast it is, I blame the OEM.

Use it with a digitize pen, and it will be ridiculously awesome.

Promising, but lack many essential things, and lack of apps. You can't compare it with the iPhone or even Android. But if you prefer a phone over apps, and use it more as an extension of your computer and not a replacement, then its a pretty impressive device, especially the low price and much lower priced service plans over the iPhone, at least in Canada.

14. GoodBytes

It's because you don't understand the device. It's not meant to use Outlook, or wtv in tablet mode. It's a hybrid device, not a "jack of all trades" device (do everything magical device).

15. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

...Meanwhile, on Amazon, 64GB Micro SD cards hit £40 :)

16. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Not really, with a 128GB surface pro you get 89GB of storage whereas with a 128GB iPad you will get about 123GB. I honestly think that many people will be fairly annoyed when they buy the 64GB version and have barely any room left.

17. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Windows Phone 7 and earlier versions are based on Windows CE, and not on the DOS-based Windows Me.

But Windows CE is pretty anemic as well. We found an HP thin client at work which had Windows CE 6.0 on it, and it was terrible, web browsing was impossible even though the hardware was reasonably powerful (1GHz Via x86 chip, 512MB RAM). We booted a Linux distribution from a USB stick and everything was smooth.

18. GoodBytes

I meant Windows CE. Typo :)

19. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Totally agree, Apple is now back on track to failure. Just like before they re-hired Jobs.

As an early iOS adopter, I have started looking at alternative ecosystems. Although iOS is still most polished, their decision to copy Android phones on increasing screen size and rumoured tiered new iPhones where smaller screen device will be lower end puts me off massively.

4S is the last of good iPhone. I don't want massive phone screens that my fingers can't reach (eg. 5's top left back button can't be reached with the thumb). Is it too much to ask to have the most powerful processors fitting in a small single-hand device?

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Curious, in what regards besides security does Win phone 8 seem promising which Android lacks in?