1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Apple 128 GB Ipad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by suragh, 29 Jan 2013.

1. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

It's providing high capacity devices to those that need them. Someone who has to carry a lot of documentation around with them for example.

I can see pilots and sailors making use of the extra capacity in time.

But the other reason is Apple make a lot more profit on an iPad than they do a Mac Book and the high cap storage devices are a lot more profitable than the lower cap units.

Offering a 128GB device just makes good business sense. Some people will want it, and a few of those will need it. Apple doesn't care if you need or want it - they make a big profit from any sale no matter what.

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Definitely.

But then.... Tim Cook has to take over the biggest player in the tech sector, work on the transition with the companies revered figurehead, work with a genius designer, cope with a couple of righ muppets working on iOS, plan the organisations new space ship campus... all while dealing with a good friend of his dying of cancer and the growing realisation that appointing the guy from Dixons to head up the retail arm wasn't the best move he made.

Jobs is Dead. Browett, Williamson and Forstall were sacked and Sir Ive has been given a bit more power.

Apple is still incredibly profitable and I hope that 'success' doesn't blind Cook to the fact Apple needs to release quality software that runs on their quality hardware.

iOS 6.0 was an absolute joke (I'm speaking both from a users and iOS developers persecutive)

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I've got a 16Gb iPad Retina, with 3G and a 15Gb per month limit..

I fail to see how people need more than 16Gb, or maybe 32 at the most, on theirs.
    My music streams off Spotify, if I want stuff from iPlayer, I download it over wifi, watch it, delete it.. and with all my apps and a load of photos on there, I've still got 10Gb free.. and then I can download my copy of the Times each day and then delete that too..

128 is just a silly amount to lug around.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

They said it about music though at the time but people still use those iPod classics with 80gb+ storage on them. Still own one myself filled to the brim.

Apple will only change when there profits start to drop.

Problem is there is nobody really pushing them in either phones or tablets to make changes to there iphone or iPad range.

Between Samsung and Apple they hold the smartphone sectors profits don't think they will risk that by releasing cheaper versions of the iphone.

Tablet sector they may be loosing market share but still hold all the profits for the sector.

There case against Samsung also ended in a win for them that was finalised yesterday.

Apple will either invent the next big thing or buy it with there huge stock pile of cash.( 135bil and rising will hit 170bil+ by year end)

Wall Street cares more than apple does.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

They're being pushed awfully hard in phones and tablets actually..

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

owning the 16GB wifi, although I have around 8GB free at home. I wish I have a bigger version when I go out, so that I could use the iPad as photo backup device, then I don't have to carry my netbook just for purpose of backing up photos.

I mean, 8GB isn't even enough for a single day of photos! 30MB RAW files, Photo app can't select import Jpeg only.:miffed::grr:

7. rollo

rollo Modder

By who Manx, they only care for profit remember not sales numbers.

Samsung and apple between them take home 98% of the smartphones profits.

Samsung and apple have become dominant in the sector, win phone and rims new thing are too late to the party to pick up enough to survive.

Tablets thy are loosing market share as I said before but still taking home the large % of the profits ( estimates put it as high as 90%)

That's all they care about really profits. Have done for years, its what will allow them to keep doing well as they can just buy out companies who make the next big things.

Google cares about market share as it suits there business model.

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Your fault for having a ridiculously nice full-frame camera!

They're being pushed by everyone. iPhone users are leaving because they are no longer being seen as a 'cool' product anymore, and because they now lack the innovative edge that people like Google and Samsung have... To be perfectly honest, the last big thing to change with an iPhone was when they went from the 3GS to the 4.. I bought a second hand 4 the other week, and it still does exactly the same as a £600 brand new iphone 5, with little or no difference... You can only upgrade screens and tweak this and that for so long before people stop bothering to upgrade to a new device.

9. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

I agree that Apple seem to have lost there edge since Jobs left.

I really like the direction Microsoft are heading my lumia is the best phone I've had in a while, would I replace my Ipad with a windows tablet ? Hmmm no, not yet anyway.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Theres little difference in any major brands products.

The change from an orginal Ipad to a Ipad 4 is just a better screen and 4g + the insides have had an upgrade.

It still does the exact same thing as it did on release.

Samsung galaxy phone is another example of that though, my sister owns a sg2 and i have the sg3 and they look pretty much the same no real changes between them.

None of the competing companies have got to the point where they make a second version in many of the markets.

Kindle fire went to Kindle fire HD it gained an hd screen thats it.
    Nexus 7 and 10 are basically identical accept screen size.

Dont really see how much can change on a phone release to release tbh. Its a phone first and foremost and its what most seem to have forgotten in the years gone by.

My PC is still the same Pc it was 10 years ago its just alot faster the input devices have not changed.

11. loftie

loftie Modder

I can only see the 128 GB existence for 2 reasons.

First, there are a lot more people out there that like to go on holiday/travel/bored at work with hi def versions of TV shows.

Second. Epeen. Lets face it, most electronics are sold by easily recognisable numbers, megapixels in cameras being the worst imo. Storage space is an easily recognisable number to make the masses go "WOOOO my new iPad is 128GB thats totally better than your 64GB iPad. It's like twice as good!"

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Good thing, IMO. He now has input into the software side. I really hope that he does something awesome with iOS 7.

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the ipad`s being used as flight bags are the smallest ones they sell - and there not even 1/2 filled.

14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

Having played with it for a day, well a couple of hours now, I have to say its a nice environment to work in.
    Where the Win 8 on the hybrid fails, it works on the phone being that the apps are designed for the form factor.
    It would seem Microsoft have did a good job with the toolkit, as most apps have a consistency about them not found in Android.
    Navigation is a pleasure, you pick it up quite naturally.

And as expected integration to MS Office products works great.

15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

Unfortunately that's what lets it down, it doesn't excel in either mode.

PS, sorry for the thread derail.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I disagree. I own a Surface RT and I find it excellent as a tablet and as a notebook. In tablet mode I mostly reside in Metro. When I need to do some work, I set it up with the kickstand and use it as a laptop. It has all the productivity I need --for anything heavier I just go to the desktop PC which nicely integrates with the Surface via the cloud.

17. saspro

saspro IT monkey

My 64GB is usually full, especially as when we go away to our holiday home (where there's no internet and no 3G), it's filled with movies for the kids and things we need to watch that we recorded on the media centre.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

I can easily fill the 32gb one that i own myself.

Could easily see a situation where a familly could fill a 128gb one for holidays, Car trips with kids, Social events where they just want to stick them in a corner.

Not everyones tablet never leaves there home which seems to be the case on here.

3G connection in uk is dodgy at best for most parts of the country ( basically leave london and you will be lucky to see 2mb which is not enough for streaming )

4G is a major city only thing and even worse out on the main roads than 3g.

19. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Yes very true. I have three iPads and currently four smaller iOS devices and all are fairly close to being full as all the devices are shared around the family.

When you've got 2+ people sharing a device then the demands go up. The girl wants it loaded with She Ra cartoons, the boy wants it loaded with He Man cartoons (The joys of having twins).

Everyone wants them loaded with their favourite movies and games and the family music playlist has to be loaded on everything to support the kids need to hold impromptu discos with whatever device they have near at hand.

If I only had one device I'd 'want' a 128GB but could make do with a 32GB in a pinch (I have that on my phone but go with 64GB on the iPads).

16GB is a joke really when so many games are 600MB+, I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone other than a very light (or cloud obsessed) user to go with a 16GB device.

20. monkiboi

monkiboi Minimodder