1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding apple 17 incher

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ido, 11 Jan 2003.

1. ido

ido What's a Dremel?

Well, in light of headlines saying that apple wants patents on modding concerning different lighting effects, I think it's only fair that we borrow what they're trying to borrow from us. I've just seen the video of the new titanium and I have to say the coolest thing about the design is the light sensing backlit keyboard. Everyone's seen el wired keyboards but after seeing how subtle and understated the effect is, I really want to try to use el sheet to do it. Also, does anyone here (i.e. macroman) know of a way to hook up an ambient light sensor to control how bright the el gets?

2. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

lmfao, I thought everyone had actually cottoned on by now that apple has never tried to patent case mods?
    Just some n00bs trying to stir up a story where none existed, tbh.

KTHXBYE :D

3. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

Actually, I believe that patent was filed for the illuminated kyeboard. They never mentioned anything about windows, external mods, or the like. Just internal lighting. So I'm guessing that's what that was for.

AstrumPreliator
    ":grr: "

4. ido

ido What's a Dremel?

Yea, it was never for the crazier things. Just mods having to do with lighting, and the keyboard could be one of them.

5. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

lol, no. As soon as people stop trying to read into this more than there is, it'll disappear never to be heard from again.

6. RAM Z

RAM Z What's a Dremel?

I just watched the same video. they used fiber optics to do that and only the letters light up.

7. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

wow, thats GOTTA make it expensive. afterall its the Apple way of doing things, make it pretty and charge 3 times what its worth. I would buy one if they werent so darn expensive

8. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Some light spills round the keys tho :)

9. ido

ido What's a Dremel?

I just like the look because it's so subtle and doesn't blind you when you look at it. I also prefer the darker shade of blue. And, since Apple's using it in a laptop, I'm guessing the circuit could be made to fit inside a keyboard quite easily, and there wouldn't be that annoying buzz from an inverter if it's fibre optic.