1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple brings out iTunes 7.0.1

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 29 Sep 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

Picked this up yesterday when it was reported in the Itunes thread in the Apple section of the forums and my memory usage for mp3 playing is down to about 30MB now (I was at 80MB before the patch) so they have fixed some stuff.
    Not sure about Ipod controls though and I havn't gotten round to testing Itunes Agent (the thing that lets you use other mp3 players with itunes) to ensure it still works yet either.

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Havn't noticed any difference, but then I only use iTunes for updating my GFs iPod. Still can't get album artwork onto the iPod though.

4. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior New Member

7.0.1 is much better. used to get a horrible crackle when using the volume slider below 100%. seems to know what it's doing with album artwork fetching now too. thank god...

5. Boswell

Boswell Active Member

Going to download it now...currently using 7.0.0 playing a song... using 162mb (162,988 K) of RAM. And using 2% of the cpu.

6. Boswell

Boswell Active Member

Still using a lot of ram on the new one... 153 MB - although i do have 70K + songs (most are not actually there though (got deleted but they are still in the libaray)).

7. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

I currently have a playlist of over 11k songs, and itunes is just not an option for a playlist of that size. When iTunes is using over 100 megs of ram in some cases, and winamp is using 11 megs... I hate to have to bash just about everything that apple does. Where it be bad battery charge circuits in the iPods, to iTunes.

What is the real incentive in the iTunes software?

8. Buzzons

Buzzons Active Member

why do people use iTunes for anything else other than putting stuff onto (crap) iPods? Winamp//VLC//Media player classic ALL use less memory for playing mp3s, and VLC is clearly the best video player out there...

9. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

Ive started using it recently in place of winamp and personally I think its better but obviously it depends what you want to use it for.
    I used to be of the narrow minded view that Itunes was pretty poor and sure, back in the earlier versions it could have been better but the "smart" playlists really are a great thing. I use mp3 CD's for the car and it great to have it randomly select 650MB of data to sling onto a CD.
    There is also the fact that people do also like to purchase music legally from the Itunes Store. I personally buy CD's and rip them but there we go.

And whats with the Ipod bashing? Why do people instantly assume they are crap? I can understand the gripe about the batterys dying after a year or so of pretty much constant charging but I would like you to name a battery that DOESN'T reduce in life the more its charged as it happens to EVERY battery and yes, some do just degrade faster than others.

*puts on flame proof suit*

(yes im in the mood today to defend stuff that I have no reason to defend because im sick of being whined at and told everything is "crap and pointless" all day long :p )

10. customh

customh conflagration.

Im with BioSniper and i want to see warriorrocker's info on the bad battery charge circut.

11. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Hmm... tearing through 126MB of RAM on my just-battery-recalled Thinkpad T60. CPU time playing songs is negligable at least. Shrinks to 65M turning off Cover Flow, not that it's not still an insane amount for just playing MP3s.

Doesn't fix it not seeing my iPod though... but I'm almost positive that's a hardware problem at this point, or at least in part (this thinkpad has been *really* wierd). Maybe it is.. couldn't say, all sorts of bizarre things at this point. Kind of funny to see odd pixels of a movie through the Cover Flow arts due to hardware overlay and my covers having just the right colors in them, but that's irrelavent. I can kind of hack it a bit to make my iPod show up, but that recently started happening in my old 6.0.5 install which makes me think the USB ports on this machine are flaky.

13. Irvine

Irvine New Member

7.0.1 fixed the music skipping issues while playing CS...but now I get a framerate of 15 while I'm listening to music. iTunes usually uses about 7-14% CPU. Why is this version so much slower and resource-consuming than the previous one? They only added videos and a slightly different GUI...

14. zoom314

zoom314 Member

Well 7.0.1.8 works fine in XP x64, Playback is Superb of course. :thumb: :thumb:

15. mcnick78

mcnick78 New Member

Still Problems with iTunes 7.0.1

Just downloaded 7.0.1 and there is still interference to my iTunes playback when i use other operations on my system. Example, sending an email or accessing a website can cause music being played on iTunes to stutter or skip. Seems like there are still problems with this version. Disappointing, especially for an Apple product.

16. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Welcome to the forums, mcnick.

Do you by any chance have an X-fi sound card? I have s imiliar issue and this is appearently a known issue with the X-fi cards. It sucks to pay over $100 for a card and have it get all staticky when you change windows.

17. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

IIRC It is the problem with the charge circuits in the earlier iPods that would eventually kill the batteries. If anyone remembers the Thinkpad 600 range... they had terrible battery circuits. The physical battery cells themselves were not the problem. Over time It eventually killed them. One of the bigger issues with that is the iPod has poor detection of what state the battery was really in. Showing full charge when the battery was at half charge, showing completely dead when you still had at least 2 more hours of play. I am pretty sure they fixed this in later versions like the photo and video.

I have done freelance iPod repair on the earlier models and found that taking the original battery out and running it through a reconditioner would get the battery back up to near its original specs. Of course the battery over time tends to wear out as all li-ion cells do. But It was easy to notice undo wear on the iPod batteries.

*back on topic*
    As for iTunes it should be used only for loading your iPod, assuming you are not using one of the few tools to put music on there. Or you know how to add the music manually. Also I cannot justify using itunes over winamp ever. With all the plugins to winamp and the pur customization available, I cannot say that iTunes is any better of a music player. Though it is all personal preferance.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2006
  18. chaosbringer

chaosbringer New Member

now all i get is network stalled on the radios... :wallbash:

19. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

Ipod 1417 Error

Did anyone else get that?Just incase my story and a fix!
    Having updated to Itunes 7 & finally plugging my IPOD in it wouldnt up date! I got this:-
    •Message from my PC Updating .....
    •Then my IPod Just went into its main menu
    •Finally a Error 1417

Anyway heres the solution to this problem:-

•Plug in your iPod and wait for iTunes to tell you an update for it is available
    •Click the Install button on that dialog and keep an eye on your iPod
    •When your iPod screen switches from the flashing "Do Not Disconnect" message to the Main Menu screen, unplug the iPod, wait a couple SECONDS, plug the IPod Back in
    •You should notice some slow-down in the progress meter and a new dialog box should come up and tell you your iPod is being updated and to not disconnect it until the update finishes
    •That's it. Wait for the update to finish and iTunes will re-recognize it and show its new up-to-date status.

Tags: Add Tags