1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple creating a $9.99 movie download store?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 20 Jun 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

I would buy, but how long would it take to download over my pitiful bandwidth. It would be good if it works and the price is nice and low.

3. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Buy a movie at £5.41 (approx) where I can only watch it on my iPod video or PC? Can I burn it to DVD? Doubtful.

Nope - the price doesn't reflect the model of usage that the majority (assumption) of people want movies for. I might have a top o the range HD PC setup - but I like the fact that, while my "over priced and easily susceptible to scratches and rendering them void" DVDs cost £9.99 to £34, I can watch them on my Home cinema, my friend's system, a PC, etc..

Actually - I stand corrected - knowing how things work in the UK - $9.99 != £5.41. In fact it will most likely be £8.99 :rolleyes:

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Jobs can stick his it up his arse along with DRM riddled iTunes.

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

You say that like the other stores don't have any...

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:(

It'll be movies at 320x240 rather than 4gig DVD ISOs.

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

:eyebrow: I meant the DRM, not the movies. Wrong quote?

Anyways, whatever Jobs wants for a price, he'll get. He's proven that the iTMS model works for music, music videos and now TV shows, and the RIAA couldn't manage to negotiate a tiered model (which I was quite against, despite the fact that the majority of what I'd buy would have likely gone down in price). This IS "my way or the highway" - either sell them for ten bucks a pop, less than you'd prefer, or sell nothing. They're greedy but not stupid (well... uhh... not *that* stupid), and ol' Steve knows this.

8. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

If you think you'll see it here for a direct conversion from $ to £, dream on!

Thats all I'll say!

9. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

It'll be the same as the tv shows, too poor a quality to be watched on anything other than a jobspod. I'll be steering clear as always.

10. antB

antB What's a Dremel?

Are we talking "new" movie releases? e.g. as of 6_20 "Cars" "Over The Hedge". I think if Apple could pull that off, they could one up everbody.

11. riggs

riggs ^_^

I don't currently use iTunes because, well, I don't own an iPod, the costs are too high, and I'd rather go out and buy the CD (which I can then rip to whatever format I choose, and be able to play it on any device).

The same goes for movies - they're too expensive, and can only be played on 1 brand of portable device. I really don't see the point in paying for a low resolution, low quality video - you may as well just rip & encode yourself (for the same reasons I've stated above).

For me, iTunes is similar in concept to those annoying ringtone services you get for mobile phones - a smart user will just find/create the ringtone/picture/video themself.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

however you have to remember that the general public being the retarded masses that they are, wont see it the way they do.

13. Paolo

Paolo What's a Dremel?

Whoever manages to cut a deal at the same time as general public opinion and technology capacity matures enough to make "downloadable" movies a viable option is going to see a very healthy bank balance once it takes off.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that this is a natural evolutionary step for video, following close on the heels of the music industry. The question is, is this the right time for mainstream "itunes video"? My 1mb broadband copes fine when i'm getting 4mb mp3 files, but I'm thrust back into the 56k days if I wanted to buy a full resolution movie online... is it practical?

Anyway, best switch my attention back to my Steam HL2 download after I formatted. Only a day left, I can hold on....

Paolo

14. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

man apple arent going to make many friends with this are they
    I gotta say, why should an "oldie" cost as much as a new film ... thats never been the way it worked ...

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

if the files are 600MB movies they will have about 150MB of DRM implemented into the file :p

a movie on 2 X 600MB or 2X700MB files has good enough quality for me, but with no DRM please ;)

16. glnsize

glnsize What's a Dremel?

How much free time do you have?!?!?!??!?? I use itunes b/c its FAST and EASY! I use to rip all my own stuff hell I still have 200+ vcd's that i will never watch again. Give me a quick and easy way to get a movie for the plane ride hell yeah! As for file size I could care less my cable modem hums along at 30Mbps down 3Mbps Up(thank you comcast!).

17. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

To be honest I think the whole download thing is a load of bull, I want a record, cassette, cd, I want a box, I want art work, I want sleeve notes. And above everything else I want sound quality

18. Nezuji

Nezuji What's a Dremel?

Personally, I have all the time in the world if it means that I end up with exactly what I want. I'm very much with radiator on this one. Ripping all my own stuff onto my HDD means I can have whatever obscure and/or foreign artists' work I like in any format I like, and I can rip way faster than my 56k modem can download. The 56k does me just fine because I don't suck down those massive downloads.

From my perspective:
    Ripping:
    Internet cost: None required (although I do pay AU$8 p/m for unlimited 56k)
    Content cost: From AU$0.50 for a song in a cheap compilation to AU$30 for a pricey movie
    File quality: Up to me
    Selection available: Up to me
    Ability to make as many personal copies as I like: Yes
    Option to improve quality later if so desired: Yes

Downloading:
    Internet cost: Over AU$40 p/m for limit-shaped 512k.
    Content cost: iTunes Australia charges AU$1.69 per song
    File quality: Up to the provider
    Selection available: Up to the provider
    Ability to make as many personal copies as I like: No
    Option to improve quality later if so desired: No

Nezuji :)

19. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

I agree. I buy all my music from Fopp and then rip it to my computer straight away as 192Kbps M4A in iTunes. The CD is then hardly ever used again as I listen to it on my computer.

No DRM. No 128Kbps rubbish quality downloaded crap. Costs a couple of quid more, but I think it's worth it.

_C

20. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I don't, I just want the movie to watch, couldn't care less about the box.

As for music, I want to be able to play it on my PC, on my Hi-Fi and in my car. With a movie I want to be able to watch that on my PC or burn it to disk and watch it on my DVD player, or transfer to my media bax and watch it on my TV, so no DRM and decent price then it might work.

It's sad that you can download a movie in better quality and with no DRM illegally, but you can't get the same service by paying.

Tags: Add Tags