1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple iPad 2 enters production

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 9 Feb 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Android 3.0 of course will be good on tablets. it has re-designed interface for tablets.

iPad will only be good if they re-design the 2008 interface into something more functional. cannot live without jailbroken multi-tasking tweaks on my iPhone 4.

3. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I would prepare this thread for a near Engadget troll-fest that may occur!

I'll be honest, never got the hype about the iPad? What's so special about a giant iPhone that doesn't have a microphone or speaker system?

4. kempez

kempez modding again!

Whatever Apple make they'll sell by the bucket-load. It looks good, feels great and is incredibly easy to use. As per usual, saying that it must have an update is a non-starter. What us geeks 'need' is not what the general numpty public want.

I would be disappointed if it has a lower resolution, especially as I fully expect the 'droid 3.0 tablets to come out firing.

5. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

It has a speaker.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

and soon, a microphone and 2 cameras.

btw, my post above was in reply to article's "are you waiting for android 3" question.

7. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Oh god, now i have to see more people showing the ipad of on the bus.

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Will be interesting to see it's final specs.

I'm still waiting for a 11" 16:9 tablet with 720p resolution and some better connectivity aka native USB and HDMI port. Something the size of a MacBookAir, but without the keyboard and even better battery-life would be great.

9. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

And obviously it's more like a giant iPod Touch than a giant iPhone, given it isn't a phone. I didn't much see the point at first but I'm getting tempted now as the number of decent apps for the iPad is pretty immense. I won't be buying a 1st gen one though, definitely waiting for the 2nd gen, which looks to have most or all of the following pretty much nailed on:

(1) front (and probably back) facing camera(s) for Facetime
    (2) "Retina" display for double the pixel pitch of the 1st gen
    (3) dual core processor
    (4) more RAM
    (5) better GPU

I think if the price doesn't change too much it will be pretty compelling to be honest. Slimmer and lighter doesn't much bother me - the current device is already pretty slim and light. I could very well be persuaded by a 32GB Wi-Fi & 3G 2nd gen iPad if the speculation turns out to be right. Just hope it's out by the time I'm in ths USA in April so I can pick one up cheaper, as the UK/US price differential does grate a bit.

10. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

i dont see these useful for any laptop / phone alternatives besides games.
    the form though would be good in a 6-7 inch version thats integreated with all your other stuff in your house. use it to put music or movies on / browse telly. perhaps even the kettle or control the house heating. they're not leave your house portable but take around your house portable.

11. SteveU

SteveU Minimodder

Sorry but it's been confirmed that the resolution will be exactly the same as the original iPad. The only screen differences are that it's thinner/lighter and will have a better coating to reduce glare. The retina display will most likely be the iPad 3 with a 3D display touted for the iPad 4 in 2013.

12. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Yay, where do I sign up to get one :D

13. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

It's all about the services. The reason I plan on getting one as a netbook replacement (it recently died) are as follows:

1) always on long battery life
    2) Air video (and alike) lets you stream your videos from your PC (even if they are .AVI)
    3) TVcatchup.com streams all the TV channels you care about one min after their live broadcast.
    4) Games for IoS devices are generally better than trying to play a PC game on a netbook.

It's really just a portable media consumption device. And from the little bit of use I've had on one the word processor is competent. It's worth noting though I have a laptop instead favouring a Decent PC and a ultra portable low power device.

14. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

For me I have no use for 3G since the vast majority of places that I go to already has a free WiFi spot so... i will just stick with my archos 101 till they make one based on honeycomb... it would have a much better interface than a****...

Although i am keeping an open mind for a WebOS tablet from HP if they would ever precede to making one...

15. biFFon

biFFon What's a Dremel?

I'm looking forward to seeing the range of Android tablets coming out. With so many in the pipeline surely some of them will be able to compete with and better the Apple offerings... fingers crossed!

16. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I missed the memo on this, where and when did apple officially confirm this?

17. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

What a bunch of muppets- apple release something that is a bit thinner and lighter and everyone goes 'ohh i must have it'

18. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

19. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Yep, nothing to do with the camera, dual core or GFX ...

Moving on.

In answer to the question - if nothing better is on the market by the time the iPad2 comes out, yeah I'll upgrade.

20. skybarge

skybarge just chilling at work

Damn, I won't be getting it...I wanted more Gee Bees!

Will be waiting to see what other tablets come out of the stables, hopefully they all have the Wifis

Tags: Add Tags