1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple iPhone 5 rumoured for September launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 23 Jun 2011.

1. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Love my iPhone 4, I can't see the point in this one though. Everything is instant, so the faster processor is worthless to me. The only thing that would make it worthwhile for me, is if people started developing fancier games that make use of it, but I can't see that happening for a long time.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

In 1996 the price of an average mobile phone was about £200,-- (£283,-- in today's money). Today, smartphones can go up to around £600,--. Someone's got to foot the bill for that...

Now, Telecoms companies have been raking it in over termination charges (what they charge other telecoms providers to handle their calls; say, when someone from a BT landline calls your O2 mobile) but Offcom has put a stop to that. At the same time, data traffic has doubled just over the last year. So telecoms providers are faced with maintenance of a massive infrastructure (you think that being able to make a call from a 0.5 Watts transmitter/receiver in the middle of nowhere, or in a city seething with a million of similar transmitter/receivers clamouring for attention all happens by magic faeries?), expansion of same as people want access to WiFi anywhere, anytime, and increase of data service use, while at the same time Offcom is cutting off other points of revenue. And, of course, there are the bids for use of the 3G and 4G spectrum to pay for, and competition in the market is fierce. So yeah, expect them to try and make a buck wherever they can.

You don't like it? Fret not. Buy your handset, full price, and get your own PAYG sim-only contract. :thumb:

3. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Or...I could stick with the 12 month contract I negotiated out of Vodafone with no down payment for my HTC Sensation, plskthx.

You royally missed my point. I wasn't saying telecoms companies shouldn't offer longer contracts, I am just a little disappointed that people have accepted it as the norm when it doesn't need to be.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Guess which category this issue falls into? :)

5. Allnights

Allnights What's a Dremel?

What utter fanboyism waffle I get to read from time to time.

I only looked on here because 4 people I know use Apple iPhones, two are family members.

Now wnever I buy absolutely anything, OR anything I do for that matter, I research it first. I look at what is the best performing most useable and will still work at the end of the day. Apples fit none of these categories.

As for the rant on Android absolute rubbish I am afraid to say.

I have a Motorola Defy and in the rain with my brother he was cowering under a tree protecting his iPhone 4 while I was flicking screens, talking and texting in the very heavy rain. He hates his phone and says, jokingly, how he only has to show his phone a running tap and it breaks down.

Another friend is a HUGE Apple fanboy and constantly praises his iPhone 4 calling mine rubbish. However, it is I, as an IT engineer, that is always correcting iTunes problems and they are so fed up with its bloatedness I have to build them a new PC just so they do not wait three days for their phones to upgrade or sync song or movies. Plus if you want to write apps Apple take 30% whereas Google take 10% and THAT is why the number of apps is growing a great deal faster than Apples.

Also my phone helped the authorities catch the worst kind of criminals in the UK and saved lives. I doubt I would have found that quite so easy with an Apple! Especially with iTunes on my old laptop and jailbreaking a lot harder than on Android.

If Apple's products suit your needs then goody for you. But do not come on here stating this is better than that, you do not know what you are talking about.

Every product fits a need. My phone did this and then some and along the way it saved many lives. Yes there are some niggles but these are only minor, like still waiting for 2.2 or 2.3 android. As for Force Closing I do not know what you use to get all those problems but I have only had 1 in 20 or more do that. I have an app for just about everything and another brother who uses HTC with Android, asked what I had them all on there for as I could not use them all, when in fact I do!

Now I am wondering why I even bothered to type this out!

6. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

1) Now that sounds like the kind of feature that Apple needs to add to a future iPhone. or iWetPhone. I wouldn't need it, but I imagine people working outdoors would find that VERY useful.

2) 3 days for their phones to update or sync songs?! You being an IT engineer, I would expect you to recognise an underpowered computer before blaming iTunes.

3) You are an IT engineer, with a phone that helps you catch criminals and save peoples lives ... sounds exciting, almost Superman-like, explain! Although from the way you've worded this part, you seem to be suggesting that if iTunes were on your laptop and with the iPhone being harder to jailbreak, you would find it harder to catch criminals and save lives using iPhone? Not sure how iTunes being on your laptop would hinder your Superman-like powers ... nor having difficulty in jailbreaking iPhones ... other people seem to jailbreak them fine ... and how would a jailbroken iPhone be more life-saving than a non-jailbroken iPhone?!

4) {blank} (Left blank intentionally).

5) You seem to be emphasising that Android saves lives ... ok, let's all buy Android phones and save lives!!!!

6) Agreed.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i read a lot of waffle in quoted post also. :lol:

1> if you've done your research, you'll have learnt iphone 4 performs same as galaxy s when both launched a year ago, they were both the best performing, most usable phone. regarding still work, i'd have thought the phone have longer battery life would fit that category better.

2> as an IT engineer (if that exists, software engineer? ) you should have recognised it's itune's problem, not the phone's. problem sits at the other end of the cable, so why are you blaming the phone?

3> same to you to :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags