1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple kills off Xserve server range

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Nov 2010.

1. digitaldave

digitaldave New Member

I should also mention the xserve hardware is mega loud, really high pitched fans whining all the time, not something that could be considered even remotely bearable for anyone without a server room to lock it away in out of earshot.

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag New Member

uh... have you ever been in a server room? because even the smallest server rooms sound like you're standing 50ft away from a commercial jet engine

3. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 New Member

All servers are loud..

We have a bunch of XServes and Dell servers sitting in our rack at work. Main reason is the client systems are primarily Mac, which work exceedingly well with OSX Server.

They're not terrible servers, hardware and price is better than what they stuff in the consumer products.

The idea of putting a 2 Mac Pros in as a 12U shelf-mounted setup like Apple suggest in their migration guide is quite ridiculous though. I'd much rather stuff 12 1U servers in that space.

4. Nikumba

Nikumba Member

kempez - How about you compare like for like eh??? The p-series is a mainframe style box often running OS400/AIX/Unix. If you look at the IBM server range that is on the same range as the x-serve then you will find they are on par with the market eg HP, Dell, IBM pizza box servers all tend to be in the same price bracket

schmidtbag - I am sure you are thinking of the mainframe style boxes which are stupidly expensive, I should know we have 5 of them in work.

Kimbie

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag New Member

yes that was what i was referring to

6. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Well-Known Member

Across all 3 Datacentres at work, we only have a grand total of 2 of these that customers have co-lo'd. Yes they look nice, but to be honest some of the Sun kit looks better.
    Also we have a lot more of the google search appliances co-lo'd too. It's odd walking throught he dc to see a Bright yellow 3u box with the google logo splashed across it.

7. kempez

kempez modding again!

We have IBM 'pizza box' servers too, we've got over 1200 servers of different descriptions sitting in our data centre.

I was making an example of how bad IBM's business model is *shrugs* it's just true.

Our technical guys are under-impressed with IBM's offerings in general tbh. Not that I'm not technical, but they're the guys working with them every day.

IBM needs to get themselves up to date, especially software and GUI design (a bit OT, but meh).

8. Farting Bob

Farting Bob New Member

If making many billions of dollars in profit each year is an example of a bad business model, show me a good one!

9. kempez

kempez modding again!

Yeah bad for customers I maybe should have said.

We certainly won't be buying from them again.

10. 1-0-1

1-0-1 Nothing interesting to put here.

About time - their server line never offered any real advantage from the likes of DELL, HP, IBM etc. What on earth was their idea anyway with the servers?

Tags: Add Tags