1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple launches iTunes Plus

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 31 May 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. quack

quack Minimodder

I installed 7.2 last night, and bought an upgrade to the higher quality DRM-free versions of the music in my library, so I can replace the lower quality files I already have. I wasn't able to download them all however as the network kept timing out, I presume there's a few million other people doing the same.

One thing people should know is that your username and email address will be stored in each iTunes Plus file, so sharing it via P2P is a very bad move. :)

3. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

its about time to be honest, and i bet they are making a killing by charging slightly extra to upadte and buy the DRM free songs, although the higher quality is a great incentave!

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it is really stupid to tax extra for something that has no DRM and will not be hit by the premium that costs to develop the DRM.

5. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

Last edited: 31 May 2007
  6. quack

quack Minimodder

To be honest, it serves you right if you buy a song from iTunes and start spreading it around the internet and end up getting caught.

7. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

how long before someone makes an app to strip the personally identifiable info from the files, not long I'm betting

however, i suspect apple has more intricate buried info that isn't quite as obvious

8. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Another step on the way to reasonably priced, all you can eat, DRM free, high quality, legal music services. Good to see the march of progress!

9. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Apple don't make any money on the songs they sell via iTunes, iirc it's something like a 30-70 split with the record companies. With Apple paying for all the costs (bandwidth etc).

A step in the right direction, if only buying mp3's wasn't so expensive for albums.

10. plug_in_ross

plug_in_ross What's a Dremel?

*snip*

Last edited: 2 Jun 2007
  11. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

12. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

so what - their saying they think it should be watermarked, but the watermark should be encrypted

Sounds reasonable enough to me, but i all ways feel apple are rather underhanded in their business practises, they should tell you they are going to embed your info into the file (especially if its encrypted)

But as i said, i think this is just another way to dissuade non criminals (like a lock on a door) - criminals will just find a way to alter/remove the watermark and then the system fails

Tags: Add Tags