1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Apple PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'Software' started by martyp, 30 Jun 2008.

1. martyp

martyp What's a Dremel?

Hello guy's!

Well, I have used PC's since 1994 and I'm seriously thinking of switching to Apple.

Problem is, I'm not loaded and can't afford a £2k Mac Pro and TBH I have no need for that much power. I mainly use the PC for Lightroom/Photoshop, iTunes and the internet so I feel a Mac is better suited to this work. I'm looking at either a Dual 2GHz, 2.5GHz or 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac for under £1k.

So two questions.
    1: Will there be a noticeable difference from the 2Ghz to 2.7GHz for what I'll be doing? Leaning more to the 2.7 just because of the water cooling :brrr: .

2: I realize these have AGP cards in them and everything is PEG now, so I'm wondering what is the best graphics card I can get for these suckers? Not that I'll do much gaming on it, but good 3D performance would be good.

Also any tips when browsing to buy would be awesome too! :thumb:

2. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

How about a refurbished macbook pro? A basic brand new 15" is 1299 pounds, while a refurbished one goes for just under 1000 pounds

3. Sleepy_Sentry

Sleepy_Sentry What's a Dremel?

I bought my first Mac six months ago, the 20" aluminum iMac. I never looked back. The Mac is simply awesome. However, I would not get a PowerMac. If you buy a Mac, get an Intel version. Apple's upcoming Snow Leapord OS X release will be Intel-only, and new applications like CS3 are optimized for them. What's even better is you can dual boot Windows and OS X using the included Boot Camp.

If you can't afford a Mac Pro, why not try the iMac? They are very reasonably priced. You may want to check out the Apple Special Deals section. You can pick up refurbished Macs there for good prices: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...re.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=MTM2MDQ&nclm=SpecialDeals

4. martyp

martyp What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replys!

TBH, I'd rather not get a laptop again - trying to sell my Sony one at the moment as I feel its a waste hooked up to external monitor,keyboard,mouse etc.

Might take a look into the iMac's tho.

So is the PowerMac's G5 architecture really dead, surely a PPC G5 costing near £1k can't be that bad!?! :sigh:

Last edited: 30 Jun 2008
  5. Sleepy_Sentry

Sleepy_Sentry What's a Dremel?

Macs tend to hold their value better. Just because it is costly doesn't mean it's the most up-to-date, though the G5's are by no means obsolete.

6. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

If you can stretch that budget a little I recommend going for a 24" iMac. From what I've heard the panels in them are better than the ones in the 20", and since you are planning to use Lightroom/Photoshop with it it's probably a must. Also grab some extra RAM from another company (since Apple charges an arm and a leg for theirs) and beef it up for a bit more power. Will definately last you a good while too :)

7. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

If you get a powermac go for the intel cores! much better. i would recommend an imac though, they're good and quite powerful.

8. martyp

martyp What's a Dremel?

Ok, I've narrowed it down to 2 machines. Which will hopefully still be available when my laptop sells (ends on eBay on Thursday)

1: PowerMac G5, Dual 2.7GHz, 2Gb, 600Gb HDDs, ATi Radeon 9650 256Mb AGP 8x, Superdrive, Tiger 10.4, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and apple Keyboard Mouse combo. (eBay @ £850 shipped - used)

2: 24" iMac, Core2Duo 2.4GHz, 1Gb, 320Gb HDD, 8x Superdrive, Radeon HD 2600 PRO 256Mb, Leopard 10.5, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse. (Apple UK @ £899 shipped - refurbed)

Right so, on paper (to me anyway) the G5 looks better -GPU maybe crap but can be upgraded iMac's can't also leopard is what £100 and I could put in 8Gb RAM.

iMac comes with a super sexy HD screen (mines is a 20" Dell 2005WFP), memory is low but can be upgraded but only to 4Gb?

Awwww, this is a hard choice for me. I mean I could really replace it next year so I'm only after one which will do me ~12 month if that just something to break me in to Mac's so I am still leaning to the G5. Am I mad?!!? :worried:

9. koola

koola Minimodder

Get the iMac, grab 4GB of Corsair,Kingston or Crucial and it's really solid. You also save loads of room ;)

10. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

IMHO, do not buy a PowerPC-based Mac (PowerMac). Although Macs hold their value longer, Apple has been with Intel for 2.5 years now, plenty of time for most of the programs to be Intel-native (and better and faster). Snow Leopard is proof of this, as they're taking advantage of dropping half of their codebase to streamline their code as a whole, and add some great new underlying features. You're falling prey to the megahertz myth, what Steve Jobs fought for many years in the PowerPC vs. Intel battle, but ironically from the other side.

First of all, on a level playing field (same processors), 2.4GHz vs. 2.7GHz is a minor difference. Also, whatever GPU you may find for the PowerMac is likely to be slower/on par with the 2600Pro in the iMac, and there won't be anything new coming. More importantly, the different structure of the Intel processors vs. the PowerPC processors means that although the clock speed may be lower, the effective speed when running applications is definitely faster. All of the new Mac applications are written to be Intel-native (and optimized), so the same application will be leaps and bounds faster on an Intel computer. In the future, given the path they're going down with Snow Leopard, they may make all of their applications Intel-only, leaving your PowerMac in the dust with older, more feature-sparse applications. Lastly, iTunes and the Internet aside, the only power-hungry applications you seem to be running are Lightroom and Photoshop. The Intel-native version of these applications is reportedly much faster than the PowerPC-native application, due to several underlying technologies in the processor itself. (This is all "hearsay," IE, what I've picked up from reading and not from any one source.)

All in all, I would say to go with a 24" iMac (for the great color-accurate display), and don't look back. When I get home in the next few days, the first thing I will be doing is ordering a 24" iMac for myself as well.

11. martyp

martyp What's a Dremel?

Ok, I think I'm going to take the plunge for the iMac then.

At least the casing is still aluminum. I do agree with you in that .6GHz total of a difference is nothing and if apps and OSes are losing support then the G5 will be worth sod all next year (if was a PC anyway!).

It will need a RAM upgrade but I doubt it will be expensive and I'll need a TV tuner too since I run a sky box through my Dell monitor. Good to hear the iMacs display is good with colour accuracy and I do fancy the HD res!

Thanks for the very informative comments - really appriciated! :thumb:

12. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Do you already have a display? If so a Mac Mini might be a good purchase.

13. martyp

martyp What's a Dremel?

I do have a Dell 20" Widescreen TFT, however I don't fancy having on-board graphics TBH.

14. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Something to keep in mind when considering a PPC mac. Snow leopard drops PPC support.

EDIT:
    I'm sorry, It's already been mentioned. Silly me.

Anyways, i went for a MBP and i love it. You can't really make a bad choice when buying an intel mac.

15. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Get the iMac. More RAM is cheap and so is harddrives.
    You can't compare the two CPU's by MHz. They are completely different. My work computer for Photoshop etc is 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo and it's more than fast enough for even very large (A2-sized) images and in the end I think RAM is the crucial part.

Get the iMac! :) Oh and one of my friends has it and it is snazzy! You'll be very happy with it.

When you have that amount to spend there just is no discussion. Spending more than 500£ on a Powermac just seems wrong to me.

I've got a MBP and I love it :D It's great for pretty much everything that my work machine can do :)

One single thing that strikes me in your post though is why in the world you want a mac for the needs you listed?? You can get a kick-ass power horse of a PC for 900£ and it can even be good looking and quiet.
    Unless you have a certain application that demands you use OSX then you're just as well of on a PC. Which leads me to say that nowadays Macs are PCs as well just in other wrapping.
    I honestly think you should consider a new PC if you're strapped for money and want as much bang for your buck as possible.

16. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

You can attach your dell monitor to the iMac as well. They dual head just fine. We had a 24" iMac as our help desk machine with a 20" dell monitor so we had both 10.5 running on the iMac screen, and Winblows running on the dell screen in vmware. Worked great. The G5's were good machines. I've got the dual 2.5Ghz with 4Gigs of ram running in my garage as our file server. Been running 24/7 for the last three years. Kind of a waste for the video card though, it's running headless.

17. martyp

martyp What's a Dremel?

I've always used a PC at work - I'm a graphics designer - I just got a Dell XPS 630 with intel Q6600, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd, 8800GT 640Mb and it's not much faster than the 3 year old Dell P4 I used before it for photoshop. I do 3D modelling/CAD too thats the only reason I got a new one!

At home though, I've just always wanted a Mac. :geek:

I do intend to buy a Mac Pro at the beginning of Spring next year so Snow Leopard compatibilty isn't really a concern - nor is power in a certain respect since 2D photoshop/graphics design apps could probably run on a 900MHz G4! I just want something that will do me 9/10 months tops so I can learn OS X!

Thanks again for all the info!

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Given that you're looking at an MP within the next year or so, I'd honestly suggest a MacBook Pro.

It may not be as fast as the iMac, but seriously. It WILL do for a year until you get a bigger, more impressive work horse. At which point you have a power house desktop and something that is pretty damned capable AND portable. I would recommend a 15.4" MBP with as many fun extras as you can afford. Except RAM. Apple charge over the odds. Crucial RAM is just as good (I've supplied countless laptops with no problems using Crucial RAM upgrades rather than the manufacturer upgrade). I'd suggest, though, you don't go any higher than a 2.4 in an MBP. It gets pretty warm. If you do go MBP, though, I would suggest you get the SMC fan controller, so you can ramp the fan speed before the temp sensors force the speed ramps (Which happens about sixty C, and only to 4.8k RPM, when the fans go to 6k).

19. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

I agree that the MacBook Pro is one hell of a computer, but if you're just going to play for a few months, I would go for a MacBook. Unless you plan to use powerful applications straight off/continue to use them on the laptop in the future, a MacBook is just fine. However, if you're like me, and you're running Aperture, Final Cut Studio 2, and ProTools (with Logic coming in the mail soon), then a MacBook Pro is a great investment, both to start off and as a continuing computer. I love mine.

Although Crucial RAM may be $10 more than some cheaper brands, their service and quality are both great. When both of my sticks blew and (seemingly) took the motherboard with it, they offered to give free RAM and pay for the parts that borked. It turned out that the motherboard overvolted the sticks accidentally, but Crucial stood by its promise, and gave me brand new free RAM. I've never had Crucial RAM crap out on me, ever (in any of the 20+ computers that have gone through our house in the past few years). There is 4GB of Crucial in my MBP, and although the RAM supposedly gets up to 50+C when I'm working hard, I never get errors. Crucial rules.

Funnily enough, I have the 2.6GHz Penryn MBP, and it's relatively cool until I'm multitasking for a few hours, in which case it goes over 65C. However, the fans stay silent. Go figure. It never goes about 75C (at full dual-core usage), so I never really worry.

20. martyp

martyp What's a Dremel?

Ok, I have a confession to make! :blush:

The refurbed iMac I was looking at disappeared from the Apple store the next day. Then, my laptop I was selling on eBay got purchased by a guy in Nigeria - who tried to get me to send it without payment in a spoof PayPal e-mail. So it wasn't off to a flying start.

I did sell my laptop in the end tho - for £500. Now Apple had an iMac 2.2GHz 24" for just over £1k, mac pro's were £1.6+. So since I'm only after something to tide me over for about a year I turned to eBay. The G5 at £880 incl. shipping sold, however I managed to bid on one which finished at £700.

Specs are, Dual 2.7GHz G5's, 2.5Gb RAM (probably upgrading to 6/8Gb soon), ATi 9650 256Mb GPU, 400Gb SATA drive, Airport Express and the usual stuff. Basically identical to the almost £900 one but £300 cheaper! :D

I know you guy's are probably thinking it was a dumb choice and it was a difficult decision, however it runs Photoshop just as fast as my works XPS and Leopard is smooth too. Very happy with it. Here's some piccies - although I'm sure you've all seen a G5 before! The thing is like new.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to get a Mac Pro, if the G5 is that slow too you all! :rock:

Tags: