1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple releases educational Intel iMac

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 6 Jul 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

FYI, the spec is:

17-inch widescreen LCD
    1440x900 resolution
    1.83GHz Intel Core Duo processor (1)
    512MB memory (2x256MB SO-DIMMs)
    80GB Serial ATA hard drive
    24x Combo drive (DVD-ROM, CD-RW)
    Intel GMA 950 graphics with 64MB of shared memory

Pretty good value if you ask me. No sign of it yesterday when I checked on the UK educational store.

3. pman

pman What's a Dremel?

It's just what is needed! Space saving and doesn't have overblown features that will never get used. I've heard that the Apple Remote isn't included.

It's phenominally better value than the Mac Mini. The Core Duo model is more expensive, slower and doesn't have a screen.

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

UK Schools are being reccommended to use Windows machines.

5. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

I work for a software company that develops interactive applications for digital whiteboards in schools, and from our own findings, it seems that its only scottish schools that have macs installed in any great quantity (so we need to convert our pc software, to run on mac), though the english schools its generally not worth our while converting the product to mac, as the number of schools who have them, is very small. So i hope it stays this way :) (as macs are a pain the arse to develop for)

6. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Mistake in the thread title?

Looks like an ideal 'starter' Mac to me, maybe even more so than the mini. Tenner says it'll £600 or more over here though.

7. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

It's a very bad idea putting macs in to schools, not because the kids can't do it but because the teachers (who already don't have any free time) need to learn a whole new system. And to teach anything - even to primary school children - you need to be proficient in their use.

Granted buying one or two is fine for light DV work but is it really worth handing over £500 on a Mac just so you can use iMovie? Or is it better to get middle of the range Dell or HP computer that you can use WMM on or Textease studio CT (don't ask it's crap, but most schools have it) as well as being able to use all of the other educational software.

EDIT:

The only real saving grace of Macs in schools is bootcamp, but there are several hurdles to overcome even with that... price of a winXP license isn't one as volume educational licensing for schools is dirt cheap. ;)

Last edited: 6 Jul 2006
  8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

macs are easy to learn to use. the only big diference is the 1 buton mouse that i hate. it is far faster that windows, and cleaner.
    it is a bad ideia because kids these days only want windows and think macs are something from another world and dont want to learn how to use it.

9. K

K 528491

I wouldn't expect these to be going in many schools but every art college and university across the country just got a massive discount on future iMac replacements. These things are great as workstations for Adobe CS and Final Cut etc.

Well, Adobe CS on the PPC ones at least.

10. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

And about the one click mouse thing. Buy a pc usb mouse, and the right click will work the same as the control key ;)

11. Regenesis

Regenesis What's a Dremel?

I think the lowered price of the iMac is a resonable deal. Like K said these machines are great for graphic work. Macs, I believe, are the main platform to work on over here when it comes to anything art related. Here we use them for education because the job market in Graphic Design requires you to be profficient in macs (majority of businesses run off them). That's why I think it's great. Better performance and dual boot capability for a decent price. Plus it'd be great to game on during my free time. :D

Tags: Add Tags