1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple says Sony lied about Ipod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Jul 2004.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Oooo - handbags. This from the Inq:

SPINSTERS AT Apple have hit back at the Japanese walkperson giant Sony for daring to call its beloved iPod a light weight.

When Sony released its rival to the i-Pod it claimed that it could hold 13,000 songs compared to the iPod's flacid 10,000, even though the total capacity was half the size.

Greg Joswiak, vice president of Hardware Product Marketing at Apple appeared to be besides himself with rage when he talked to MacCentral.

More here

Code:
    10: Print "I can get more files on my drive than yours."
    20: Print "Oh no you can't"
    30: Print "Oh yes I can"
    40: Goto 20
    RUN
    :rolleyes: :D

2. sheardjr

sheardjr Minimodder

Last edited: 14 Mar 2013
  3. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 What's a Dremel?

lol @ 10,000 songs being "flacid." I don't know anyone whose music collection could even come close to that number. I think that once capacities are that high, you better find something else to brag about. Like a friendly UI or long battery life... you know, those "other" details...

4. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

*caugh* penski *caugh*

5. penski

penski BodMod

As if I'd lower myself to using MP3? :p

*n

6. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

7. RTT

RTT #parp

:D:D:D

8. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Or APE? Lossless compression.

10. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

What is it with political correctness. It annoys me because there is so much that you have to be PC about nowadays.

Im sure the way it can manage the 12000 songs is with the stupid file types sony uses. Like getting 80 tracks onto a mini disk (arnt they 250meg or something?).

11. ciaran.mooney

ciaran.mooney Minimodder

Both FLAC and APE are loss-less compression technologies.

OGG all the way!

12. apollyon

apollyon What's a Dremel?

Actually, a guy i work with has around an 80-100 gig music collection if i remember correctly. It actually used to be higher, but he went through and deleted everything that was below 128kbps

13. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Maybe Sony's latest creation uses 32Kbps MP3's?

14. ciaran.mooney

ciaran.mooney Minimodder

Most probably going to use the ATRAC compression. Theres loads of different types normally called SP(short play - best quality) LP2 (Long play 2, twice the amount of audio fitted into the same filesize as SP) and LP4 (Long play 4, four times the amount of audio fitted into the same filesize as SP)

SP is basically CD quality, I could never hear any difference, though you could only put one album on a MD, LP2 is also very high quality and allows you to have 2albums per MD, LP4 wasnt quite up to the standard of the previous two, but was fine to listen to, but you could fit four albums on a MD which was great.

Audiophiles would probably use SP with the new Sony Walkman, quasi-audiophiles would use LP2 so they can get as many songs on as possible. Normal Joe will probably use LP4 without realising it.

All hail OGG!

15. PHxS

PHxS What's a Dremel?

ATRAC is far from perfect, in certain situations, it's compression type would mess with the sound. I had a sublime album that I copied to MD and ATRAC would screw up at two places in one song. I have heard of other tracks from other albums that would also be ruined by ATRAC (independant of the compression factor). I like MD/ATRAC, but I love Sublime more than being different.

Ryan B.

16. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

SP ATRAC isn't CD quality. ATRAC only stores the portion of the sound that is audiable to the human ear, so frequencies higher and lower than that are lost. In theory the lost sound shouldn't make a difference (except in file size).

17. ciaran.mooney

ciaran.mooney Minimodder

Nearly every type of audio compression does the exactly the same, removing the sounds the ear/mind cannot comprehend. I'm sure CD(WAV) does the same, though it doesn't get rid of quite as much, hence larger file sizes.

I've never had a problem with ATRAC, though I can see your point. Most compression will have its faults, but remember all that lovely space you have left for other songs. :D - It's also an argument for the support of multiple formats, if ATRAC doesnt do the job, then you should be able to use another type of compression.

18. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

The main problem, apart from ATRAC3 actually sounding worse than mp3, is that most of us have already encoded all our music to MP3. Re-encoding it to ATRAC3 will make it sound much worse. On top of this Sony expect you to use their specific software to sync files onto the device and they are notoriously bad at releasing updates.

I'd hate to be a Sony exec right now.

19. Vazzini42

Vazzini42 What's a Dremel?

/puts hands in pockets
    /quietly walks away trying to look innocent

20. The Savior

The Savior What's a Dremel?

Have you looked at the Karma?

Tags: Add Tags