1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple sues Samsung for copying iPhone and iPad

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 19 Apr 2011.

1. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

Hang on, wasn't the iPhone a "clone" of the LG prada?

And I've got a tablet that in the same form factor from the early 2000's, it's just, well, fatter....

I think software patents need to die ASAP, I also think patents like this should not exist, sure for actual technical innovations, but not for things like form factor etc

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Although I'm not the biggest fan of Apple on these forums. I do feel they have every right to protect their assets.

You have to agree that they all do appear to be similar looking and the box apps format is a bit too familiar.

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I think people are more willing to have a go at Apple just because of how egotistical they can come across as a company.

They couldn't even submit of a piece of litigation without bigging themselves up:

"Apple's innovative technology, distinctive user interfaces, and elegant and distinctive product and packaging design."

Elegant packaging design? Christ whatever next? Apple's new beautiful and awe-inspiring power cable?

4. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

(tounge in cheek)

Its size envy. People don't want or need anything larger than an iPhone, so says the prophet Steve Jobs. Therefore anything larger is in apostasy and must be cleansed through holy lawsuits.

So says the prophet Steve Jobs.

So say we all.

5. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Apple do make nice boxes, got to give them that...

Yes, their marketing hyperbole is a bit annoying. However, to argue their case, they need to differentiate themselves somehow, so they do it via snazzy boxes and ridiculous over the top descriptions of MagSafe cables.

I think some people on Bit Tech have a go at Apple because they have some weird irrational hatred. I mean, it's just a technology company, not Justin Bieber.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

:clap:Fantastic!

8. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Another reason to hate Apple!

Seriously now, these lawsuits tend to fall flat anyway. Finnish manufacturer Fiskars tried to sue a Chinese manufacturer for copying their scissors-designs. Turns out they had filed several highly detailed patents on subject. The court ruled that the Fiskars design was so specific that the patents had not been infringed because the Chinese scissors were a bit different.

In my opinion, Apple is so specific on getting their iJunk patented to the smallest detail their patents won't hold against competitors.

9. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

WHAT?! Apple trying to sue another company? I cant believe it

isnt the name apple a copyright on the name of the fruit? the descendants of whoever the hell invented the name apple to describe the fruit should totally sue these guys

10. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

gee how did Apple get its start again??? OH YA!!! by literally stealing all of Xerox creations including but not limited to what we know as the Mouse and GUI interfaces.... ~_~

11. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Well no, clearly from these comparison pictures you can see that the corners of the iPhone are rounder... [/sarcasm]

Comparison pics

I am actually still using my KU990 which followed the Prada, and I have been very happy with it since I bought it. Now though, I'm looking to replace it with the latest dual-core LG :D

12. crazy95

crazy95 What's a Dremel?

apple are pathetic
    so what if it similar big woop

13. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

At the end of the day, companies are ALWAYS going to find some way to sue each other. It's their way of trying to wipe out the competition, although we all know that in reality, it doesn't really work.

Apple kinda do have a point. The Galaxy S looks like a bigger, plastic iPhone 3GS, and the new Galaxy Ace looks very iPhone 4 from the front. However, how far can you go? One day, companies will be suing each other because their displays on their devices are the same colour when they are turned off...

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Speaking as someone who doesn't really pay attention to smartphones, it'd be hard to tell the difference between the iPhone and Galaxy S. The Samsung logo and slightly different buttons are the only things that would clue me in and both are entirely possible to not see or notice fully if you're a few feet away.

The Prada, on the other hand, looks very different. It's lacking the silver border, the row of buttons along the bottom is easily recognizable, and the screen doesn't run the width of the phone like the iPhone does. It's easy to see where the iPhone may have drawn some inspiration, but it's hard to call a clone.

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

There is something strange with the interface on that galaxy S...

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

As usual this is pure Apple BS. At least they could have sued over the new remote control for Samsung's 9000-series LCD tvs.

17. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Weird thing is that samsung do the screen for them lol I HATE APPLE

18. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I believe Apple gets its IPS panels from LG.Philips. Samsung does AMOLED, though, in case Apple has planned that kind of display for the iPhone5.

19. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I'm pretty sure that this isn't an issue.

However after having said that. People have asked me what kind of iphone I have (when they see me using my phone)
    And its an HTC touch pro 2.

Dear apple,
    please don't sue someone just because there are people too stupid to know an apple from an orange.

20. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Also they have a sony camera planned on it as well but as we all know there is so much speculation going around with it

Tags: Add Tags